Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB about Kirby & 70’s Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jason wrote:
...I don't think that Stan should be vilified, but I also don't think that he is completely blameless for the mistaken impression that many people have that he wrote the stories and created the characters by himself...

Nobody I saw ever said Stan was completely blameless for the mistaken impression people have on who created what. The thing is that the Anti-Stan crowd wants to act as if he is some villainous sort, and rob him of any and all credit.

I say again: Marvel would not have been Marvel without Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, AND Stan Lee. And Stan Lee did give credit, and in fact instituted the credit box in the comics.

I also find it interesting that Chad wanted to say that Stan Lee did nothing, then later changes it to say basically, "Well, ok, but he did it badly." (In his opinion, which I do not share)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

So, because Jack did not write an introduction, that means Stan Lee did not credit him, even though he did????

Credit Kirby with what? Being a good soldier? Carrying through with Stan's ideas 98% of the time, and the one time Jack created something "by himself"--the Silver Surfer--Kirby gets a pat on the back?

Even if Kirby is "all idea" and Gene Roddenberry-level as a writer, those FF plots, concepts, designs, and those for Thor--which are where most of Kirby's energy and excitement were unleashed--are about as "pure" Kirby as it gets. Reinforced as the fact of them are, since Kirby spent the rest of his life revisiting Asgard and the FF, in Fourth World books, Eternals, and as late as Captain Victory. An artist of Kirby's level doesn't continue hacking his way through Stan Lee's jungle, because Stan Lee had little to do with the concepts.

Though, trust me, every time Kirby had to do another Absorbing Man issue of THOR instead of Surtur or Hel or the Destroyer, that was Stan Lee's influence. Guaranteed.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

I find I prefer the writing in Kirby's Fourth World stories to just about anything scripted by Stan Lee. Maybe it's clunky, but at the same time, the clunkiness gives the work an idiosyncratic poetry. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Chad wrote:
...By the very nature of the "Marvel Method", the plot was executed by the artist...

Not necessarily, based on several interviews with many Marvel creators I have read.

Stan Lee sometimes worked out plots beforehand, then the artist took that and ran with it, pencilling the pages and sometimes adding to the story, then Stan Lee scripted the story based on the art (or sometimes not, as he would write scenes differently than how it was drawn, and even disregarding notes on the art if it didn't match what he was wanting to write.

I bring up again the stories of Stan jumpimg up on a table and acting out the plots for the stories.  That was him helping plot the stories!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Chad wrote:
Though, trust me, every time Kirby had to do another Absorbing Man issue of THOR instead of Surtur or Hel or the Destroyer, that was Stan Lee's influence. Guaranteed....

That's not possible based on what you wrote earlier. Because you act as if Stan Lee didn't do anything but put his name on the stories and cash a check. You need to be consistent.

Well, you are consistent on ONE thing: You HATE Stan Lee. We get it. No point in continuing a debate on the subject, as you are far too full of hatred towards the man as to be rational about it.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

David Miller wrote:
...I find I prefer the writing in Kirby's Fourth World stories to just about anything scripted by Stan Lee...

Nothing wrong with that. We all have individual tastes.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Well, ok, but he did it badly." (In his opinion, which I do not share)

Stan's input is clearly defined by the Marvel Method: Stan wrote the dialogue as he saw fit. Added captions. This is exactly what we, the readers and adolescents, did. We added subtext and plot too, it's what emblazoned the characters in our memories more than any input from Stan Lee ever could.

But I won't blame Stan for the uninspired work of some of his artists. I can imagine Stan the Editor calling Heck or some other staff artist into his office to ream them about their hackneyed work. Hackneyed work which is always evident in relation to the highlights of Marvel, of which there weren't that many after, what, 1966?

Stan the Editor was a goddamned genius, since he kept these artists/plates rotating on sticks month after month for at least a decade. Stan as promoter was a superstar. What Stan doesn't acknowledge is that Stan the Writer is the equivalent of me saying Chad Carter the President of the United States because I voted for the Election. Which is downplaying Stan, but I'm being grandiose on a Stan level.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Really? How is that possible, if by the very nature of the "Marvel Method", the plot was executed by the artist. The PLOT is the actual writing--this happened, then this happened, then this is how it concluded.

••

Before you make an even bigger fool of yourself, I suggest you do some serious research into just how the "Marvel Method" works. You clearly have no clue.

In a plot script the artist works from a story synopsis from the writer, rather than a full script. The artist creates page-by-page plot details on his or her own, after which the work is returned to the writer for the insertion of dialogue. Due to its widespread use at Marvel Comics beginning in the 1960s, primarily under writer-editor Stan Lee and artists Jack Kirbyand Steve Ditko, this approach became commonly known as the "Marvel method" or Marvel "House style".[3]

Educate me on where Stan Lee is the direct transformative influence on Jack Kirby's work outside of his Editorship.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, you are consistent on ONE thing: You HATE Stan Lee. We get it. No point in continuing a debate on the subject, as you are far too full of hatred towards the man as to be rational about it.

Stop your melodramatic reinterpretation of anything I've said about Stan Lee. I far from hate Stan Lee. I hate what Stan Lee represents where it concerns just about every comic book professional who ever worked for him, and who benefited from subsequent corporate shenanigans.

Chris McGrath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

The rest of the Wiki entry Chad decided not to share:

QUOTE:
In a plot script the artist works from a story synopsis from the writer, rather than a full script. The artist creates page-by-page plot details on his or her own, after which the work is returned to the writer for the insertion of dialogue. Due to its widespread use at Marvel Comics beginning in the 1960s, primarily under writer-editor Stan Lee and artists Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, this approach became commonly known as the "Marvel method" or Marvel "House style".[3]

Comics historian Mark Evanier writes that this "new means of collaboration . . . was born of necessity—Stan was overburdened with work—and to make use of Jack's great skill with storylines. . . . Sometimes Stan would type up a written plot outline for the artist. Sometimes, not."[4] As comic-book writer-editor Dennis O'Neil describes, the Marvel method ". . . requires the writer to begin by writing out a plot and add[ing] words when the penciled artwork is finished. . . .[I]n the mid-sixties, plots were seldom more than a typewritten page, and sometimes less," while writers in later times "might produce as many as twenty-five pages of plot for a twenty-two page story, and even include in them snatches of dialog. So a Marvel Method plot can run from a couple of paragraphs to something much longer and more elaborate."[5]

The Marvel method was in place with at least one artist by early 1961, as Lee described in 2009 when speaking of his and Ditko's "short, five-page filler strips ... placed in any of our comics that had a few extra pages to fill", most prominently in Amazing Fantasy but even previously inAmazing Adventures and other "pre-superhero Marvelscience-fiction/fantasy anthology titles. "I'd dream up odd fantasy tales with an O. Henry type twist ending. All I had to do was give Steve a one-line description of the plot and he'd be off and running. He'd take those skeleton outlines I had given him and turn them into classic little works of art that ended up being far cooler than I had any right to expect."[6]

By the 1970s, artists working under the Marvel method were sometimes given formal co-plotter credit, as with The Uncanny X-Men #108-143, by writer Chris Claremont and artist John Byrne.

Advantages of the Marvel method over the full script method that have been cited by creators and industry professionals include (1)the artist is more visually-minded and thus often has a better notion of how a scene should play out, (2)it gives the artist more freedom,[7][8] and (3)it lightens the burden on the writer.[7] Cited disadvantages include (1)not all talented artists are talented writers, and some struggle over aspects such as plot ideas and pacing,[9][7] (2)it takes advantage of artists, who are typically paid for art alone even though they are essentially working as co-writers,[9]and (3)the artist's development of a story may clash with the writer's style.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

Oh, and on my quote, Stan Lee's "story synopsis" was probably certainly more in line with "a couple of paragraphs" with his usual A+ personality acting jobs in his office. So now a writer, by the standards here, is someone who plays with plastic soldiers created by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and sees dollar signs every time Spider-Man should fight the Green Goblin. For the 12th time in two years.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, C. McGrath. I didn't feel the need to include the entire entry. Which merely reinforces over and over how little work Stan actually put into the comic books he "scripted." 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version