Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Were you all aware, by the way, that the NRA has five million members. That's half as many people as live in New York.

That certainly puts a few things into perspective!
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Trump now says how he would've run into that building unarmed, unlike the scapegoat officer (who had been told the shots seemed to come from outside by people closer to the area). There seems to be a lot of people these days however who think they actually know and experienced things from long distance. Muslims in New York celebrating while the WTC fell and all the other after-the-fact fantasies, like it's not a lie if you can work yourself up into believing it and then selling it full force to others? Ground Zero Mosque was another manufactured outrage provoker. I think these things are related completely, not just me 'rambling'. New York did not vote Trump. They know him well.

My father saw a little friend shot in front of him in the street in occupied Holland in the '40s. He doesn't go near guns at all. My grandfather asking him to go hunting maybe one time too often bothered him enough. I can't imagine what it did to him and it's my own father who I talk to almost every day still. There would've been others there, older of course, who would've had to hide any firearms from the ruling force that would strip them of them and the hope they represented for liberty one day. Being caught with a radio could have gotten them killed. It's all about balance. And the vast middle ground most of us are part of. That story about Holland in WWII and the starvation they went through near the end seemed so far away from me in the past... but for over a decade mindless shootings are daily and close to commonplace, and food banks are a permanent fixture.

Signs to slow down in school zones are only a 'provocation' to a lunatic. Does anyone want to get rid of all speed limits?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 26 February 2018 at 4:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Robbie said:

I did ask and you didn't reply. And (this applies to everything), incontestable statistics compiled by a legitimate organisation, not "My friend saw or said..."
+++
Robbie, I did read an article with such statistics, it was in Portuguese (I am Brazilian) and it was about the failure of the gun control laws in my country. In the past 20 years more than 1 million human beings died because of guns in spite of the strict gun control that government enforces on law abiding citizens. Unfortunately I am not having time to search and respond properly because my grandmother is really sick with cancer and I am also busy with work. I promise I will try to locate the study and see if I find the source in English. I found another article HERE that apparently contradicts the notion that Switzerland is safer with regards to burglary. Maybe you can find another source and we compare the results. It seems reasonable to think that burglars will avoid houses with people inside in countries in which guns are available and people tend to know how to use them, seems just common sense to me. I got to go now, you can send me an email if you want to chat in private, I am more than happy to debate, I just don't find the time right now. Hope you can understand.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hey, given the illness within your family, that's more important than anything else. If I had known about that, I would not have persisted in asking for stats. What you are dealing with is more important. It's fine. 

So, please, handle/deal with the family illness and take care.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Delta Airlines decided it would stop offering discounted fares to NRA members. Casey Cagle, the lieutenant governor of Georgia, tweeted in response, "I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back."

A Georgia Republican’s threat to Delta: Stop boycotting the NRA, or you won’t get your tax break

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

But corporations can SUPPORT conservatives, right?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How is removing a perk an attack?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Byron Graham wrote:
Casey Cagle, the lieutenant governor of Georgia, tweeted in response, "I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back."

Sounds like something a dictator from a banana republic would say.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Fuck you, Georgia. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Didn't he used to present America's Top 40?

:)

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm sure that there quite a few states that would welcome Delta.

You would believe that the folks in Georgia that work for Delta will tell C.C. to STFU!!!!

Edited by James Johnson on 27 February 2018 at 2:43pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If I ever visit the US, remind me to fly with Delta! 

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version