Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Question: The way of the Grid (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Dear Mr. Byrne,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have enjoyed your work for almost 30 years. I fancy myself an artist. My passion is figure drawings and portraits. If there is one thing that I see in your work that I am admire the most (envy) is the way you place people and objects in perceived space. Your use of space and the way each character relates to each other in your drawings are fantastic. To me that alone separates you from any other comic artist that I've seen. I have dabbled a little in 2 and 3 point perspective but I have never used a grid system. I see grids in many of your drawings. Please forgive me if this has question been asked before. Is this something you picked up in your architectural drawing days? Can you recommend a book on perspective?

(to increase font to readable size)

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 18 January 2006 at 3:34pm

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

Most of what I know about perspective I got from the "Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw" kit my parents bought me when I was about 12 years old. This is a pretty meat+potatoes approach to the whole thing, but it sure served me well. I can still remember the feeling, sitting in the back of my Dad's '59 Plymouth, waiting while my parents finished their shopping and reading thru the instruction booklet that came with the Kit. I read the chapter on perspective, looked out the window, and the whole world shifted as I consciously registered this phenomenon for the first time. From there, it was just a process of building on what I had learned.

Which is, basically, no help at all, I know. Sorry!

Nathaniel Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for replying to my post! I guess it's like everything else. Once you have an understanding of it, the only way to get better at it is to continue working on it.

Martin Kogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

If I may drift for a sec, JB who is the doppleganger that edits posts (change of font size, deletion of spoilers) and how much do you pay him for the job?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

Nathanial -

if it is any help at all, and even tho you didn't ask me, I just picked up
David Chelsea's Perspective! for Comic Book Artists and highly recommend it. He gives very easy
step-by-step approach to figuring it all out, and is very
entertaining.
Check out the reviews at Amazon, too.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

Let me add that the Chelsea book is a good place to start, but you won't get too far into it before you start to sense an underlying disdain for superhero comics. His drawings are all very good, but have about them a quality that reminds me of some of the higher end Manga -- very calm and sedate, poised and measured.

I will confess I have only flipped thru the book, so I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing anything on forced perspective, for instance -- something very important in this line of work!

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY, by Stan Lee and John Buscema has a pretty good chapter on perspective.  I learned a lot from it as a kid, which served me well when I went into Perspective Drawing and Visualization class years later in college.

Cully Hamner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Another good one is Perspective, by JM Parramon.  Not sure if it's still in print...

Actually, if you ever catch me at a con, just ask me and I'll be glad to take you through a quick lesson.

Edited by Cully Hamner on 18 January 2006 at 8:20pm

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

I was amazed at how easy perspective is when you get right down to it.  I did the following quick two-point perspective one night at work a few years ago on the back of a time card with a #2 lead pencil and a metric scale.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

Three-Dimensional Drawing, originally published as Successful Drawing, by Andrew Loomis is a great tome on perspective (although he doesn't really address forced perspective)...of course, like all of Loomis' books it's out of print and very expensive if you can find one but well worth the search IMO.

For the basics, Perspective by William Powell (Walter Foster Books) is cool too.  For less than ten bucks at that.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

Blue Line put out a fairly good (but fairly basic) book called "Pat Quinn's Basic Perspective for Comics & Illustration" which i've found helped my stuff, and is easy to access/understand.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2006 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 12  

I was amazed at how easy perspective is when you get right down to it.

Not all THAT easy, Rog! The illustration you present as an example shows the distortion in the taller bulidings that happens all the time when a 2 point perspective is used. Sometimes I take advantage of this, to force the perspective, but often I find myself banging my head on the drawingboard looking for ways to get around it.

Because of the curvature of the human eye, the real world is never less than 4 point perspectives -- left, right, up, down -- and this is a bear to translate to a flat piece of paper. Unfortunately, we are so conditioned to how the real world looks, that even if we don't recognize consciously what it is that is different in a drawing, something in our brains will tell us what we're looking at is "wrong".

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version