Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Cool Frank Miller Interview (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 1  

International sympathy? Sell that line to Poland. And Czechoslovakia. And East Timer.

The spirit of the Geneva convention is "wear a uniform when you fight as a soldier or this convention will not help you".  Civilians who take up arms are not protected. Soldiers out of uniform or without a uniform are not protected. If it was intended to be interpreted beyond the bounds of its explicitly written limits as a sort of meta-treaty then NOBODY ANYWHERE would have signed it. It is not some blank check of good will with legal force behind it.

I think the REAL Captain America bit is just ludicrous.

Edited by Emery Calame on 22 January 2006 at 6:56am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks to Thanos for the link. Cool interview.

I was a bit surprised to read the reference about the murdered director Theo van Gogh. I spoke withe several Dutch people about this case, and most most of them were shocked, but not surprised. Things are becoming more and more dangerous there since the murder of a political figure a few years ago, Pym Fortyn (the spelling might be wrong). Too liberal a country.

100% agree on his view of the medias today, and the climate we are living in (new crusade imposed on the Western world?)

Thank Dog I stopped reading about Elektra with the "Elektra lives again" GN.

F.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Paul Leyland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 3  

Mike Tishman said "Christ, what a tool. I had no idea Frank Miller was such a blithering idiot. Well, one less comic creator's work to buy."

Why?  I'm not commenting of Frank political viewpoint because I don't care too.  A man's politics are his own.  But why would this stop you picking up Frank's (or any) creator's work?  There are times I've disagreed with both Peter David and John Byrne's politics (as stated in interviews and on boards), Arnold Scwarzenagger and Charlton Heston have wildly different political views than I do and I've even been know to disagree with Michael Moore.  Yet, I can enjoy all of these guys work because I don't confuse their views with their work.  Why does knowing someone's politics stop you enjoying their work?

Andy

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 4  

From the interview:  And 9/11 did change everything: the West is confronted with a fascist, misogynist, homophobic, genocidal blood enemy that is dedicated to the annihilation of everything civilization has achieved in three millennia. At the very least, my idea of what makes a true villain has changed. An existential threat to everything in the world that's worth a damn clarifies the mind.

"Batman and the Terrorists" or whatever it's going to be called should be a hoot and a holler.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 5  

Almost half my country equates flushing a Koran down a toilet with sawing the head off an innocent contractor

There are a few important contextual details he's leaving out here, namely that the Koran-flushing (if there was indeed Koran-flushing) happened inside a concentration camp populated by prisoners held for dubious reasons in conditions violating the Geneva Conventions by an administration that condones and seems to regularly indulge in the use of torture. They're part of a larger series of such prisons in Iraq, Afghanistan, Eastern Europe and North Africa, where a large number of prisoners, many of them captives from a war of aggression against a sovereign nation in flagrant violation of international law, seem to be languishing indefinitely without due process.

Christ, what a tool. I had no idea Frank Miller was such a blithering idiot. Well, one less comic creator's work to buy.

1.The Geneva convention applies to prisoners of war. Members of the Taliban are not soldiers of a recognized ruler, and thus not protected by the Geneva Convention. This was something my lawyer dad commented on before Gonzalez's Justice Department memos caused a minot scandal.
2. It's understandable to believe that it's still worse to steal planes, fly them into building, and kill thousands of innocent people than it is to torture suspects.
3. If the above didn't happen, there would be no concentration camps/ a lot less torture.The murder of more than 3000 Americans has raised the stakes, and forced us to ask questions such as "How many people is it worth torturing to save another 3000?"
4. The Koran flushing is reported to have happened by the media. If it has never happened, than that helps anyone claiming the liberal media is going too far.
5. You're going to be missing out on the work of one of the three best writers to have ever worked in the medium (In consider Alan Moore, and Stan Lee to be the other two.) And I think you've lost the right to complain about the declining quality of comic books, given the arbitrary reasons you have for not enjoying some of the best work in the industry.

"Batman and the Terrorists" or whatever it's going to be called should be a hoot and a holler.
I believe it's called "Holy Terror, Batman!" and I really can't wait.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 6  

Christ, what a tool. I had no idea Frank Miller was such a blithering idiot. Well, one less comic creator's work to buy

I think you should also realize that people say things sometimes that they don't mean in the exact way they are presented. He wasn't giving a dissertation

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Michael
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Terminated

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 7  

The Eisner-Miller book where they just talk to each other is great.

I am not buying All-Star Batman & Robin because I don't care for Mr. Lee's art.  I read the first issue but for me I have to like the art or forget it. 

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 8  

What struck me most after reading the Eisner-Miller book was just how vast the gulf between the two of them had become.  Will comes across as sincere and consistent in thought and action,  Frank on the other hand does not, too easily distracted by the lure of fame and Hollywood.

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 9  

I love Miller's work, everything of his I've read (including DK2 and All Star
Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder).

I found that to be a fascinating interview, though I'm kinda disappointed
by how reactionary he is on his views on terrorism, but oh well, who
cares, I still enjoy his writing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 10  

Miller is right.  They are our blood enemy.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 11  

"The spirit of the Geneva convention is "wear a uniform when you fight as a soldier or this convention will not help you".  Civilians who take up arms are not protected. Soldiers out of uniform or without a uniform are not protected."

So when American Special Forces go to a place like Afghanistan and wear the clothes of the people there to blend in and operate in secret, those U.S. soldiers are not entitled to the protection of the Geneva Convention?  If they're captured by the Taliban or Al-Queda fighters, the bad guys have the legal right to torture them?

Mike

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 12  

"From the interview:  And 9/11 did change everything: the West is confronted with a fascist, misogynist, homophobic, genocidal blood enemy that is dedicated to the annihilation of everything civilization has achieved in three millennia. At the very least, my idea of what makes a true villain has changed. An existential threat to everything in the world that's worth a damn clarifies the mind."

You know, we were all afraid on 9/11.  I'm not sure why some people are still wetting their pants in fear 4 years later.  The Nazis and Imperial Japan could have conquered the world.  The Soviets wanted to take over the world and had the means to destroy it.  The Islamo-Nazis want to restore a, what is called, "caliphate" that would stretch from Morocco to Indonesia.  Pretty horrible for the folks who live there, but I've never seen or read any message or statement of any kind that says the Islamo-Nazis want to conquer the U.S or Europe.  Not to mention the fact that these guys have trouble controlling their own back yards, forget about toppling the most powerful nation that has ever existed.

Islamic terrorism is a serious threat.  But unlike threats of the past, they can't destroy us.  All they can do is provoke us into destroying ourselves.

Mike

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version