Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Q for Mr. Byrne: Jim Shooter (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 1  

John,

Thanks for the response.  It seems you sparked an interesting topic bringing up Secret Wars.  First, why do you think this series was so successful (the toy tie-in, fanzines, new Spidey costume, etc.)?  Do you think a crossover (such as DC's Infinite Crisis) is the key to bringing back readers (or gaining new ones)?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 2  

SECRET WARS was successful for one very simple reason: it was all superheroes, all the time. There was hardly a page that did not have people running around in costume. And since our audience then was still mostly kids -- you guys, apparently! -- it was maximum bang for the buck.

In fact, as I am sure I have mentioned before, when Shooter was crowing about how SW was "bringing in a whole new generation of readers", Mike Higgins pulled the sales figures on all the other titles, and found that each and every one, from FF, to X-MEN, to DAREDEVIL, to AVENGERS and so on, had dropped by a figure which, when added together, gave the same number as the sales of SECRET WARS. In other words, rather than bringing in new readers, Shooter was merely siphoning off readers from the existing titles. Kids were thinking "Why should I buy 12 titles a month, when I can get all the same characters in one?"

It was, needless to say, a blow to all us writer types who were carefully constructing character and story arcs --- which apparently mattered not one whit to the readers, as long as somebody was hitting somebody else!

Guest Account0
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 3  

I got the 12 issues of secret wars as a Christmas present and my sister had to pay top dollar for them. So I treasured them. The UK version was cool too and I loved Mike Zecks art.Personally, I loved them. I hated SWII though.

I loved New Mutants, the characters were great and the plot about the Hellfire club in issues when the X-Men were at the war were fab, especially Illyanna. Personally for me, the day Jean Grey came back from Jamaica Bay was the day that the mutant explosion started and I got fed up.

Loved the JB FF issue though, even though I liked Jeans sacrifice in X-Men 137.

Finally, I'm sure Rob Hewitt was worth it.  After all, the more the merrier.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 4  

The house ads ran for close to six months, bullpen bulletins, editorial 'see upcoming SW', how could I not buy it?
I'll admit I feel immense guilt over thinking it was great.
I had never seen Doom dressed down like that before, I don't think.
But like Victor, upon a re-reading a bit later, I was like,
"what the beef?"
Even the art is not as good as I remember.
Ah, youth...
when $0.60 left me $0.40 for candy and an hour of fun in the sun.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Guest Account0
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 5  

JB, you did spin a great arc out of SW. Johnny and Alicia. Ben and Rocky Grimm. Reed and Sue and the Baby tied in well. I love that period and as I've said a thousand times, your introduction of She Hulk was great. So even if you didn't like the concept, you sure made it work in FF.Seamless.I was addicted to your work at this stage.

Elliot Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's funny that JB didn't like Secret Wars, since it seems his Fantastic Four was the most effected by.    The cross-over with the first Secret Wars was pretty seamless (except for the dead Dr. Doom popping up).   However, the crossovers with Secret Wars II were pretty intrusive, especially on the Hate Monger storyline, which requires one to actually read the horrible second issue of Secret Wars II to find out what happens.  As part of rereading my Byrne FFs, I went back and reread SW II as well.  Man, that really has to be the worst comic series ever published.  By the way, given the success of the first Secret Wars, couldn't they find a better artist for the sequel than Al Milgrom, probably the worst artist Marvel had at that time?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

Not only was SECRET WARS II abominable as a series, I would imagine it was a nightmare logistically. Imagine planning out a series, then having to plan out all of these crossovers in the other titles and have everything mesh. Not a job I would want.

JB, did Shooter have all the interactions with the other titles planned out, or did he take some of what you and the other creators were doing and work it in to his series?

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

The concept of Secret Wars reminds me of the little rascals shows where they would put on a musical.

Their premise was that they didn't have talent but they had a barn so why not put on a show.

That is the single best description of Secret Wars I've ever heard in my life.

Full disclosure, though:  I was about 7 when Secret Wars came out and I really loved it at the time.  I went back and re-read it two years ago and for all of its flaws, I had fun reading it even as an adult.  But by no means would I ever hold it up as an example of how to do a superhero comic "right". 

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

Loved and still love the Mike Zeck issues of SW, that haven't changed a bit...
Did not liked and still not like Bob Layton issues.

Al Milgrom is like a guilty pleasure... I absolutely love his P.P. Spectacular
Spider-Man, but each time I see SW II... I don't know if I should cry or just go
berserk.

It's a shame that most of the books had to suffer the crossovers.

And in the end the worst of Jim Shooter was that we weren't able to see JB's
anniversary issue in FF.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

I absolutely love his P.P. Spectacular Spider-Man, but each time I see SW II... I don't know if I should cry or just go berserk.

Perhaps it's the Leialoha inks that you don't like?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB, did Shooter have all the interactions with the other titles planned out, or did he take some of what you and the other creators were doing and work it in to his series?

Oh, SW2 was even more "fun" than the first one. Shooter ordered everyone to include scenes with the Beyonder in certain issues -- picked by him, apparently at random. Since most of us -- even the really late guys -- were far ahead of Shooter on the schedule, we had no idea what the Beyonder could do, and when asked Shooter said "He can do anything."

So we pushed ahead, using the character as best we could in stories that we had planned out long before -- and in almost every instance, Shooter ordered stuff redrawn and rewritten because we got the Beyonder "wrong".

That was always the single biggest problem, dealing with Shooter. He lacked the communication skills to tell us what he wanted. He could only tell us what was "wrong", over and over and over again. The only way we knew when we finally got it "right" was that he'd start finding fault with something else.

'Scuse me -- head aching -- must lie down. . .

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

John Byrne wrote:
He lacked the communication skills to tell us what he wanted. He could only tell us what was "wrong", over and over and over again.

You mean my boss's boss is Jim Shooter?
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version