Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Doom Patrol in Teen Titans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

<<"Teens" who, if Wonder Girl is anything to judge by, are rapidly approaching the point where they will not be "teens" any longer.>>

Same with Tim (Robin III) Drake.

When he was introduced, he was declared 13 years old. Now, he seems to be getting ready to look at colleges.

ASIDE: And he's not even Batman's partner anymore, so why the hell is he even still Robin?
Back to Top profile | search

Jeremy Nichols
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't think writer's should have any need to mention an exact
year ever... there are ways around it. Like in that JSA where
Power Girl goes through the 1985 anomaly.... that means, if you
get anal about it, that 20 years have passed since Crisis. In the
DC. Putting those dates in there messes everyone up... the fans
and the other writers. I like Geoff Johns writing, but that could
have been danced around so as not to cause further problems.

But the cat has long escaped the bag. The fan camp is forever
divided into those who 1) watch and keep track of chronology
and time errors (and usually want the characters to then,
logically, age) or 2) those who don't notice or don't care about
continuity glitches and technology advances and want them all
to stay roughly the same age (I say roughly because a good
"birthday adventure" is nice from time to time). I like vague
references to past adventures, but I don't need a specific
timeline of exactly when every issue of every DC comic
occurred. That's ridiculous.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Jeremy Nichols wrote:
I say roughly because a good
"birthday adventure" is nice from time to time

Dennis Mitchell had a birthday every year and the very next strip was back to the age before that birthday took place (four and five or five and six, something like that.)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

The "Teen Titans" might have been a good name for a group of *young* teens (12-14 or so) who used the name self-consciously, maybe, but it's laughable for a group of 17-19 yr olds. Who wants to be thought of as a teenager when you're old enough to vote and drive?

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 14 February 2006 at 1:07pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't see why there was a need to get Dick Grayson into college. Couldn't they just do Batman stories where Robin simply does not feature?

This is where creeping fanthink kicks in. Everything must be explained and accounted for. Leave Robin out of a story, and you better have a panel or three showing him in the batcave recovering from a broken leg. And be prepared to explain the ultra-fast healing of that leg when he's hale and hearty next issue.

Because SOME FANS ARE DUMBER THAN DIRT -- and they are the ones TPTB had taken to listening to!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

The "Teen Titans" might have been a good name for a group of *young* teens (12-14 or so) who used the name self-consciously, maybe, but it's laughable for a group of 17-19 yr olds. Who wants to be thought of as a teenager when you're old enough to vote and drive?

Based on the way they're drawn, the Teen Titans on the TV show seem quite a bit younger than their comicbook versions, even from when the book restarted.

Seems like this has been moderately successful, no?

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Jeremy Nichols: I like vague references to past adventures, but I don't need a specific timeline of exactly when every issue of every DC comic occurred. That's ridiculous.

I'm a continuity buff in the sense that I like to know the order things happened.  When I first started reading comics, I had a rabid fascination with the Green Goblin legacy, and put together a listing of every single appearance the character (Norman, Harry, Hamilton, Hogboblin) had made.  I never once tried to put actual time stamps to it.  The current story happened some time after the last story, and that was as far as it had to go.

So, to take your statment above, Jeremy, and put my own particular spin on it -  I wouldn't mind the timeline of when every issue of every DC comic occured.  Chronology is cool, but when people start attaching actual times ("this happened five years ago DCU-time") to it, that's when I would get aggravated.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

Robin should be eternally 12...if you think that kid sidekicks are a good idea in the first place. If, like me, you don't, and prefer that a brightly-hued kid stay out of Batman stories, then aging Dick Grayson up to 18-19 is no biggie. Keeping him there is the trick, though. (I think Dick should have remained Robin -- with an improved costume, of course. Having him become Nightwing was a mistake, as was introducing Jason Todd and then Tim Drake.)

Yes, the current Teen Titans cartoon is popular -- the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, with an 18-19 year old Dick Grayson, was rather popular too.

Anyway, I'm not thinking terribly hard about how Geoff Johns is managing to have all versions of the DP be canonical -- I'm just happy that he's making that choice, and that (a) we have the original team back, and (b) all the old Drake/Premani stuff is still canonical, which means that Gar Logan's relation to the DP is still canonical (it was the main thing I liked about the character!). So, hooray!

BTW, why CAN'T Rita look younger than she's "supposed" to be? Just chalk it up to being connected to her powers...who knows, maybe she was plucked out of time or something...

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Dick Grayson shouldn't be any older than 12."

Exactly.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

At this point I don't think we should really have a timeline that tells us how many years ago event X took place. Someone proved to me that in order for every event in the DCU since Superman's debut (The Man of Steel #1) to be canonical, we'd need a timeline that stretches over 22 years. Particularly if we want stuff from the Vertigo Swamp Thing and Hellblazer series to be part of the DCU proper (remember John Constantine's relation with Zatanna? Zee hasn't aged much, but John's now over 40!).

So...just don't think about it. (Most of what DC published in the 1990s deserves to be forgotten and declared non-canonical anyway!)

Edited by Jason Schulman on 14 February 2006 at 4:22pm

Shane Montgomery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

I love the idea! It is apparent that all of the incosistancies with the Histories
of the DP, Hawkman, heck - even Superman are a result of ripple effects
from the original crisis. I anticipate that OYL and 52 will explain how the
universe has "settled" into one consistant contimuum.

BTW - I never quite understood all the Hawkman hub-bub. Under Geoff's
revision/relaunch Carter Hall now carries all of the past lives of all the
Hawkmen before him, Thanagarian and Terran. Soooooo what's up with
cinfusing about that?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

Burt Ward certainly wasn't the first actor to play Robin as older than he was in the comics.

Ever see the Batman serials of the 1940s? You can't tell me that version of Robin was 12 years old--not only did he look to be past college age, he looked to be past GRADUATE SCHOOL age!

An actual 12 year old playing Robin in either the movie serials or the TV show, would not have worked.  It would not have been the least bit convincing  the first time Robin ever punched out a bad guy.   You can get away with things in comics that would never work in a "realistic" depicted medium like movies.  What else are they going to do but hire an actor who is older and more physically mature?  It probably influenced the aging of the character in the comics to some degree too.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version