Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Pre-crisis Lex Luthor vs. Post-crisis Lex Luthor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hopefully I'm not trending over any existing Luthor threads,(searched to make sure, but I could be). I was wondering last week about the differences of the pre-crisis Luthor and the post-crisis Luthor. Both have a strong dislike for the man of steel but do have their differences. I grew up with the pre-crisis Luthor,(aka mad scientist), and vividly recall him coming up with some nifarious plan to rid himself of Superman. Plus that purple and green jumpsuit! Anyone know how he came about that thing? I have fond memories reading these stories but when JB restructed Superman, the post-crisis Luthor,(aka morally corrupt businessman), I seemed to find more believeable.Here was a man who had his hand into everything that happened, legal or not, in Metropolis. Truly the most powerful man in Metropolis until Superman entered the picture. Plus the fact that no matter what Superman could find out about Luthor being behind something illegal, he could not trace it to Luthor because Lex was wise enough to cover his tracks to get away with whatever he had planned. Which was a pain to Superman but great for us readers. I'd like to find out what the rest of the JBF thinks of this subject, so please let me know your opinion! 

Edited by Scottland Downs on 19 February 2006 at 6:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

I found the "JB Luthor" to be be more plausible than the 'Superman must die because he made me bald!' version.

As for the 'purple jumpsuit', I believe somewhere in that 'Classic Covers' thread a week or so back, someone posted an image of the first appearance of that garb, a mid-70s issue (not sure if it was ACTION or SUPERMAN, though I suspect it was a Cary Bates story, and the two titles were almost interchangeable when Bates wrote both of them!) I think the caption referred to it as 'Luthor's Power Suit'...perhaps Bates ripped off, er, paid homage to, the armor of Dr. Doom?

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

I like both the "classic" pre-Crisis version of Luthor and the Byrne/Wolfman
post-Crisis version.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

"I found the "JB Luthor" to be be more plausible than the 'Superman must die because he made me bald!' version."

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------

Speaking for myself as a Bald-American: Someone's gonna pay...someone's gonna pay...

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 19 February 2006 at 7:25pm

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

I much preferred the Siegel/Weisinger version where Luthor hated Superboy (and later Superman) not for making him bald by itself, but for ruining Luthor's great experiment of creating artificial life.   Luthor suffers for his hubris, and Superboy suffers for using his super powers without thinking.  Luthor's baldness was simply a good visual symbol of his intelligence, and perhaps symbolically a Samson-like reminder of how he was robbed of greatness. 

The post-crisis version reminds me too much of the Frank Miller version of the Kingpin, to be honest.  I did think the punchline of Superman volume 2, number 2, where Luthor can't envision anyone with Superman's powers pretending to be a human is pretty funny, but in a way, the way many fans treated the silver-age Luthor origin.  They just couldn't envision why Silver-Age Luthor would hate Superman.

I also didn't like the fact that after Man of Steel, Luthor became unbeatable -- Everytime Superman faced a Luthor plot, he would defeat the plot, but not be able to capture Luthor, because if he did, the dramatic possibilities of that version of Luthor were gone.  The end result was that Superman became like the X-Men at the time -- never actually winning.  Over a long period, that became very annoying, despite some nice stories, like Superman v2, no. 2 and "Metropolis 900 miles."

James Wright
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like both Luthors, but I prefer the Luthor introduce in MoS.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2006 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm not fond of the post-crisis Luthor.  I'm sure sentiment plays a partial role in that... ie, I might have liked him more if he'd been presented as an entirely new character, rather than displacing/replacing a character I was familiar with from childhood.

Even so, though, I still would really dislike one primary aspect of the character even if he'd been entirely new:  Luthor does evil things, and never gets caught or suffers substantial consequences for them.   I dislike this because it makes Superman look impotent.  With the type of person Superman is, how can he not spend every free waking moment trying to find a way to bring Luthor to justice, based on what he knows about Luthor's actions?  And with the abilities he has, how can he fail time and again? 

A villain constantly escaping justice is also a more cynical standpoint than I personally want to see in a Superman comic.  Even though it is more realistic for someone to do evil and get away with it sometimes, I've always seen Superman's universe as optimistic and hopeful, not bleak, gritty, and realistic.  Cynicism of that type I expect in Daredevil, but not Superman. 

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 8  

Lex Luthor is one of my favorite villains, in both pre and post-Crisis versions.

Pre-Crisis: Lex is a great genius, but he is the typical person who, when the morning begins, says "Today will be a great day!"... and then, a problem ruins it all. So, 'cause his baldness, he becomes a villain. I remember a sad scene in "The Luthor nobody knows!" where his father sent him away from their house 'cause his firts criminal action...
Lex wants to be better than Superman, and for this he uses his brain. But Superman is smart and strong, too, so Lex must be stronger. The introducsion of the purple suit in the mid '70s was a way to make him able to compete with his rival on the strenght field, and the Lexorian armor was another and better way. AC #544 (first appearance of the armor) is important for another reason: the deaths of Ardora, Lex Jr. and the whole Lexor planet. If before tha Superman/Luthor war was caused by an accident, now Luthor hates Superman more than before, because accuses him of having stolen him his new wonderful life (actually, it was all Luthor's fault).
A great character, tragic and powerful.

Post-Crisis: Lex is pure evil. JB's version of the character is dangerous and deadly, probably the most dangerous villain in that period. He doesn't need to be in the battlefield... He rules the battlefield. He is always guilty, but nobody knows the truth.
It's a pity that, after Byrne's departure, the following authors haven't used him very well. In my opinion, the whole fake death/Lex II/deal with Neron thing was very, very bad... It was an exageration, too complicated and a bit unuseful. I prefer the stories where he becomes President. That was the moment of his supreme triumph... I loved SUPERMAN/BATMAN 1/6, where at last Superman can put down him! Luthor's greatest plan... followed by Luthor's greatest defeat.
Oh, and I'll continue to tell it... Lex is not only evil. He is a madman. Do you remember the Pocket Universe? His counterpart was a nice guy, but he was a fool. He could stop the Kryptonians but preferred to fight... And caused the death of billions of men.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 9  

These two scenes sum up the reason for the pre-crisis Luthor's hatred for Superboy/man, but as much silver-age fun as those tales were, I think JB's take with Luthor as being jealous of Superman's abilities and popularity really makes a better story.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 10  

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 2:16am | IP Logged | 11  

I like the post Crisis version. The pre Crisis one was quite a stretch to buy as an antagonist and all the costume and the hate theme made no sense to me.

JB's and Wolfman's version was a solid character, completely evil and menacing that we could find in the real world. I don't agree with the Kingpin comparison. The only thing in common are the lack of hair and the wealth. I imagine Luthor was far richer than Fisk, though, and he was not a super villain, as Kingpin. Not even a crime lord in the same sense. Luthor was a wicked person, but mostly a legal businessman and not the leader of the underworld. Kingpin would never bother to do what Luthor did in the "Metropolis 900 miles" story, which for me is the one that made Luthor a tangible character.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 12  

As I remember, Luthor's purple shirt/green pants combo (not the power armor) was the first time a major comic character wore pouches on straps as a fashion accessory. Anyone remember seeing him use the little cannisters on his suspenders for storage, or was he a role model for Cyclops?

A trend-setter, even back then.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version