Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: "How do you know I’m NOT a mutant?!" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 1  

Last time I checked Mutant Growth Hormone was allowing any and every dick head with a couple of hundred bucks to shoot cosmic fire out his arse anytime he might have a mind to.

The Homo Superior stuff is kind of funny. In a world of six billion there were two million mutants and supposedly a crap load of "latent" mutations watiting for a toaster accident or a near death experience to set 'em off. Overall the normal boring bunch seems to be handily out breeding the special ones and the special ones are themselves the descendents of the normals so it all seems pretty unlikely that the "next step" in evolution is going on. Heck we supposedly outbred the Eternals, the Deviants, the Inhumans and whatever other offshoots came along. Why should we see mutants as any different? One day they'll leave earth and a new crop of freaks will pop up and bounce around between chosen few and pariah status until THEY take off.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 2  

A good idea to keep in mind that our own ancestors were but one breed of a whole raft of human-like creatures who used to populate the souther plains of Africa. We were the "minority", but by the time all was said and done, we were the only ones!

Mutants in the Marvel Universe represent a small minority -- we used to calculate one in a million, when I was working on UNCANNY -- but that does not mean their kind are automatically excluded from winning this particular lottery.

Back to Top profile | search

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 3  

"homo superior"

Nazis or really hardcore christians?
..oh, mutants, sorry, that's alright then..

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 4  

I don't know, if a new species of humanity started to pop up...
and my kid isn't one of them...
and some of them hijack nuclear missiles by using the power of their brains...
and you can't kill any of them for longer than a few months...
I'd be pretty friggin' scared.

I mean, think about it. If FF#1 happened ten years ago, how long was Jean Grey dead? Not that long. And the other mutants (except for Thunderbird)* come back even quicker. Not only are they able to kill you by looking at you, but you can't even kill them back!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

But Mr. Byrne... now we have mutants popping up as far back as ancient Egypt and the particular guy I'm thinking of is supposedly one of the most powerful mutants to ever exist. Now something might wipe mainstream mutants out but back when the mainstream human population was much smaller and less technically accomplished the mutants STILL didn't take over.  Heck the Elder gods couldn't even take over for very long.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

Considering how blunt American racial perceptions are (many Americans can't tell the difference between Asian backgrounds, for example, or between Arabs and South Asians), I can't imagine them making distictions between how someone gained their super powers.  

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think both mutant and "irradiated" superheroes would probably be looked upon with scorn and distrust in the "real" world, particularly if they looked in anyway "different."  Whether Nightcrawler was a mutant or achieved his blue skin and tail in a bizarre accident involving a threshing machine, he would still be met with discomfort and fear.  Handsome mutants and handsome heroes would have an advantage.  Superman, an alien from another planet, still looks like "one of us" and thus he would be more accepted.  The Silver Surfer (or the Martian Manhunter or any other "different looking alien") is also an alien from another planet, but people are never going to look at him anything like they look at Superman.  I know there are other reasons, like dour disposition, but the big picture is still the same.  Appearance matters quite a bit.

That said, I do agree to some extent with JB's point that people who weren't born "that way" but were changed thru random fate would have a small advantage in the eyes of the general public.  However, I still think many / most would be distrustful, solely based on appearances more than anything else.  Batman is a handsome devil as Bruce Wayne, but I think most people on the real planet Earth would be scared to death and forever untrusting of him if they ever saw him in dark cape and cowl.  Almost any masked hero would probably face an uphill battle for that reason.

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

David Miller wrote:
..many Americans can't tell the difference between Asian backgrounds, for example...

You can tell a Japanese from a Korean by eyesight alone, eh?
Back to Top profile | search | www

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

Mikael Bergkvist wrote:
homo superior

Nazis or really hardcore Christians?

Or Europeans?

[Edited to add quote attribution]

Edited by James C. Taylor on 02 March 2006 at 5:37pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

---

I can!
Back to Top profile | search

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

James C. Taylor wrote:

Michael Roberts wrote:
I can!

Care to explain how?

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

"
Mikael Bergkvist wrote:
homo superior

Nazis or really hardcore Christians?

Or Europeans? "

- Or americans?
I'm not as 'not american' as one might assume, though I do live in Sweden currently..so I'm not one of those ''europeans' who go after america at every turn.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version