Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Inuit mythology and snowbird for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Mr. Byrne, When you devised Snowbird did you research into Inuit mythology? I'm a student of world mythology myself.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 2  

Back during WW2, there was an embargo on the importation of foreign publications into Canada, so no American comics were legally imported. During this time, a Canadian publishing company sprang into the gap with a line of comics, in black and white, featuring some very odd Canadian characters. (One was an armless veteran called "Major Domo", who had a dwarf sitting on his shoulders acting as his arms. No, really.)

One of these characters was "Nelvana of the Northern Lights", who took her name (and little else) from an Inuit goddess. The mythology in ALPHA FLIGHT was derived almost exclusively from this. If you read between the lines, in fact, you will discover that Nelvana (the Canadian Whites character) was Snowbird's mother.

(Bit of trivia: Nelvana and her cohorts were published by Anglo-American, one of the chief competitors of the Bell Syndicate -- the latter being the same group to whom Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster had taken Superman when the American market expressed no interest. The Bell Syndicate also rejected the character, stating it had "no lasting appeal".)

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3  

Never knew about all this. Interesting tale. The hidden truths behind the characters you thought you knew. Sounds like there should be a VH1: Behind the Comics series. Must be a whole pile of fun stories like this out there. For Marvel, DC and other companies.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 4  

That's a pretty neat connection. 

From the "Brilliant Minds Think Alike" department, I recall Kirby making a cross-company connection by writing between the lines that Captain Victory was Orion's son.

Elliot Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 5  

I like the "Behind the Comics" suggestion.  I'm kind of amazed at how few documentaries there are out there about comic books and comic book creators.  Other than Comic Book Confidential and Crumb, nothing else springs to mind.  There really are a lot of stories out there that would make for fascinating films.

Aleksei Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 6  

I have always wanted to see John Byrne draw the Russian God PERUN., He's like a Rus version of Thor. It shows how the Indo European tribes were all connected at one time. He's often shown as blonde or red haired. Muscle man type.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have always wanted to see John Byrne draw the Russian God PERUN., He's like a Rus version of Thor.

Almost happened. When I was doing JK4W, I had the Norse gods appear. I gave brief thought to having the Russian equivalents in their stead, but then I decided the impact of having THOR step into the midst of the New Gods was too good to miss!

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

I wonder if Nelvana animation studios took their name from the comic, or the mythological Nelvana?

Aleksei Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 9  

I haven't read the alpha flight character's adventures in years so I have no idea what Marvel is doing with them nowadays.

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2006 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 10  

The character Perun showed up late in Gruenwald's run on Captain America as part of the Supreme Soviet team, and then later in the Soviet Super Soldiers one-shot.  Interesting look to the character.

Aleksei Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2006 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 11  

Greg, If you have a picture of the way PERUN looked in those comics then please consider posting it. I would love to see how they portrayed him.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 04 March 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 12  

"I wonder if Nelvana animation studios took their name from the comic, or the mythological Nelvana?"

I have it from an employee of Nelvana that it's from the comic.  They may even have the rights to it, but I know they have used the comic in some of their promotional materials.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version