Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Inking vs. Redrawing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 1  

It seems like it comes down to what is expected going in -- i used to loath Nowlan just for how much he dominated the pencilers, but i've come to realize, by and large, the Pencilers KNEW what they were signed up for, and the End Product was what everyone wanted --

If a penciler goes for FULL Tight pencils, it does seem rude if an inker ignores this and redraws things, and the looser the penciler gets, the more room there is for the inker to finish things his own way.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, what did you think about Kyle Baker's finishes on that Avengers Annual?

Key word is "finishes". Kyle was working over breakdowns -- loose ones at that -- and I was quite happy with the finished product.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 3  

It seems like it comes down to what is expected going in -- i used to loath Nowlan just for how much he dominated the pencilers, but i've come to realize, by and large, the Pencilers KNEW what they were signed up for, and the End Product was what everyone wanted --

Kevin has been suggested as an inker on various projects of mind a couple of times, and his habit of heavily redrawing everything is precisely why I have always declined. Somewhere out there, I am sure there is a project waiting that will seem right, to me, for Kevin Nowlan "inks", but we just haven't got there, yet.

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 4  

I've always wondered what Mr Byrne's work would look like if inked by an artist who was heavily influenced by him, say for instance Dale Keown.

I don't know if you keep much of an eye on the output of Marvel and DC these days, Mr Byrne, but I wondered if you had seen any artists who you particularly thought were ones to watch?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

"I am sure there is a project waiting that will seem right, to me, for Kevin Nowlan "inks", but we just haven't got there, yet."-John Byrne

Doctor Strange leaped straight into my head! Then I thought...well to be fair, I think your inking that one yourself might actually be better...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

I enjoyed Kyle Baker over JB on the Avengers Annual. Not to change the subject but the Nat Turner book he is currently doing is really nice work.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

When an inker becomes well-known, it seems to me the reason has to do with the way they tackle the problem of "re-drawing."  If I click through my mind the ways different inkers would look on, say, JB's pencils I find myself imagining the "ticks" these inkers will bring to the job. 

I remember the first time I saw JB's pencils reproduced, they were the unfinished pages from the original ending of the "Fate of the Phoenix."  I happened to be with a professional artist who exclaimed "The inks don't do that stuff justice!"  It was true, a lot was lost and it just seems that was one of the costs of publishing back then.

It's pretty rare that I prefer an Inked JB page to the pencils when I get to compare them.  I guess that pretty much puts all inkers behind the 8-ball!  Imagine the best you can say at the end of the day is, "Well, I didn't screw that up too bad."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

In an ideal world, the mix of penciler and inker would produce something greater than the sum of the parts. Wally Wood, as noted, brought a lot of his style to SKY MASTERS and CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN, but Kirby was still there, so the end result was a synthesis, the inker neither overpowering, nor completely surrendering to, the penciler's line. Same with Sinnott, who, I was amazed to discover when I saw the originals, redrew a lot of Kirby's stuff on FANTASTIC FOUR -- yet, again, still looked like Kirby, still looked like Sinnott.

Same was true when Ordway inked my pencils on FF. We ended up with something that was the best of both of us. Not so much, a couple of decades later, when he "inked" JLA. But, by then, we were dealing with an Ordway who redrew Curt Swan's Superman to make it look like his own, so clearly this is someone in a very different place from the FF days.

The worst inkers, also as noted, are the ones who think they are artists, but are not, or, at least, are not very good. The ones who have learned a packet of tricks and techniques, and will redraw pencils using those, even tho they are wrong.

Incidentally, from what I have seen, I think youse guys are going to be well pleased with Trevor Scott's inks on THE ATOM. He has the modern "cut glass" kind of line, but he is, for the most part, laying that line right on top of the lines I make with my pencil.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Good news!

I submit that Tom Palmer on JB in XMHY reached unprecedented heights!
Greater than the sum of the parts indeed!

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

The "one-page" that DC has posted of the ATOM, from the BRAVE NEW WORLD anthology, looks sweet--exactly how you describe JB.  I can only image as you and Trevor "find" each other, it'll look even better!

MPH

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

John, would you consider Tom Palmer to be from the same figurative school as Kevin Nowlan, Bill Sienkiewicz or Klaus Janson re inking?  If not, what in your opinion are the differences between them?

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'd like to see how JB's pencils would look under Sienkiewicz. Judging from
his work on John Buscema, I would say he's pretty faithful to the pencils.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version