Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB - Panels and Pacing? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hi JB,

Is there a relationship (direct or not) between the amount of panels on a page and the pacing you want for the story?

Do you use the orientation of panels to control pacing?

Lastly, what in your opinion justifies the use of splash and double-splash pages inside an issue?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 2  

Since i`m not actually answering the question just adding an opinion, i hope this is ok(sorry J.B. if it`s not)

I have just finished reading volume one of Essential Moon Knight and it occurred to me that there were between 7 and 9 panels on most pages,compare this with a current issue of most comics and you are lucky to get 4 panels,no coincidence then that a single issue story now takes 6 issues to tell. Bill S`s pacing was great too and the art really did benefit from being in black and white rather than colour.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

For the first two questions, Rene, the answer is most definitely YES. The number and size of panels can definitely be used as a tool to control the pacing, the speed with which the reader reads. Not 100% effective, of course -- I have related the story of the Fawcett artist who was devastated when he saw a kid reading only the top two panels of every page -- but generally speaking the panel number and size (and shape) can be used to signal "faster" or "slower" to the reader.

Splashes and double-page spreads should be used only for shots that require some kind of emotional "impact". As I noted in another thread, Colossus tossing Wolverine is not worth a double-page spread. Wolverine crashing thru a small horde of Sentinels is. That's literal "impact", of course. Spreads can also be used to sock the reader, to elicit a "Holy Cow!" reaction, as with dramatic moments (I'm remembering Sauron holding Storm by the hair as the other X-Men look on in horror), or vistas (the FF plunging thru space toward "certain" annihilation.)

An important lesson here is simply this: a double-page spread or a splash advance the story precisely one panel, but they cost the story upwards of a dozen panels or more. Is the scene worth it?

As to the number of panels, in Bill's comment, when I did the JLA arc a couple of years ago, I expressed a concern that I might not have six issues worth of story -- six issues being "required" for later trade paperback collecting. I was told "Do big panels! Lots of splash pages! Double-page spreads!" In that moment I not only resolved that I would make dang sure my story was worth six issues, but I would "revert" to six and eight panel pages as the minimum. Worked very well for me.

Back to Top profile | search

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

Am reading Ditko's Dr Strange for the first time in the Essential
volume, and that man is telling five page stories, nine panels per page,
that reach their crux on the fifth page and are resolved in the last five or
so panels, the final panel being a promo for the next issue's story! Now
that's satisfying!

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

I remember very well how the menace and power of The Dread Dormammu was built up in early Dr. Strange stories - to the point where I was genuinely nervous when Strange finally had to face him...Stan and Steve really did know how to tell stories didn't they?  There were many stories like this in Marvel comics,and very few like them in DC - where the hero seemed to be facing insurmountable odds and it seemed very likely (to a young reader anyway) that they might fail...the X-Men against the Juggernaut, Thor Vs Ego, Spider-man vs the Sinister Six, FF vs Galactus and many many others...and yet these stories were very rarely continued over more than two issues of the comics, sometimes in one, and still managed to feel like epics...dipping back into comics lately it is undeniably the case that this kind of storytelling is rare now

Rene Ritchie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks JB!

As a writer/artist, at which of those stages do you work out the pacing?

Is the amount (or lack thereof) of dialog another factor you use to play with pacing?

I've been trying to understand how you establish and then control pacing. With something like the Watchman 9-panel grid, the mechanics are easier to see, but with the more varied layouts, they eluding me.

An important lesson here is simply this: a double-page spread or a splash advance the story precisely one panel, but they cost the story upwards of a dozen panels or more. Is the scene worth it?

The classic "does it serve the story". Beautiful, thank you so much!

(I haven't read it in years (and may be remembering it wrongly), but this instantly brought to mindthe power of the single Guardian vs. Omega Flight shot from AF #12)

Edited by Rene Ritchie on 26 May 2006 at 2:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's all about telling a story.  Reading Astonishing X-Men, I was disappointed at the relatively slow pacing of it.  Even during the action scenes!  I know I will probably get vilified for this but I am not a fan of John Cassaday's art.  If you really examine his panels, you find a lot of copy and paste of previous panels, little to no backgrounds, and when he does include a background of say, the X-Mansion - it is little more than straight lines to signify walls, or stairs, or whatever.  There's no "God in the details" except in his characters.  The pacing is like a sitcom - on a few occassions there are like three photoshopped panels - first one to set up the joke, second silent panel pause, and third one for the punchline.  That's just lazy.

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB,
What did you think of the all splash graphic novel Stan Lee and John
Buscema did for Judgement Day featuring the Silver Surfer? Stan mentions in
the forward he had wanted to try and all splash issue, though this might just
have been a marketing idea. Being a big Buscema fan I loved it but think the
pacing suffered because of a single image per page.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Rockwood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

This is why I am such a fan of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez.  His panel layouts are always awesome.  :)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

John,i find it heartening that you went against DC`s advice and gave us, your fans a bit of value for money,if only more people in the proffesion were so conscientious! Thanks!

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

The true master of panel layout, at least to me, is Jim Steranko.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

Now that i have finished the Moon Knight book i am about to start the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus followed by the Essential Iron Fist,the latter is completely new to me apart from the Sabretooth issues! Loads of panels and good pacing anticipated!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version