Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 1  

I heard someone say they weren't going to buy any more books by a certain creator because of the political beliefs he expressed on his board. I pointed out that this creator probably still held those beliefs back when this person was reading and enjoying his work. I said, "If Jack Kirby or Stan Lee or Steve Ditko had message boards, they would inevitably say something to piss someone off unless it was all so perfectly PR polished as to not really be that authentic anyway. Would you really give up great comics because of this?" This guy didn't really have  a response to that.

They never do.

You raise an important point here. "Discovering" that someone holds different views than oneself in now way alters who that other person has been up to that moment. Perhaps a new light might be thrown on certain things s/he has done in the past -- and if one is so inclined, one can always go back and "find" revealing truths in that persons past actions or works -- but the bottom line must surely be looking at oneself and asking if one has been completely blind and/or stupid, of if the "big reveal" is really something inconsequential.

This is, of course, assuming that "big reveal" is based on fact. My thirty year career stands as testimony to the fact that I am not a racist. Anyone who thinks I am is either ignoring reality, or supporting an agenda of his/her own. Out of tens of thousands of pages drawn and written, some can summon maybe three or four elements which they deem "racist" -- provided they are lifted out of context, or attributed without verification. I'm reminded of a decade or so back when it became briefly fashionable to call me a homophobe. This still trickles down from time to time, and, again, stands only if my career is completely ignored.

As noted in many another thread, every single charge ever leveled against me -- "Byrne's old stuff was better", "Byrne's stuff doesn't sell anymore", "Byrne's only in it for the money", "All Byrne's faces look the same", "Byrne never draws backgrounds", "Byrne never lasts more than eight issues on a book", "Byrne is a racist", "Byrne is a homophobe", "Byrne hates the fans", etc, etc -- can be utterly demolished by even the most superficial glance at my work.

But, this has now taken on something of the status of a cult, and "independent thinkers" all over the InterNet would rather spread lies than appear "uncool" by actually standing up for the truth. It's no surprise at all, is it, that so many of these are the same people who support the "darkening" of superheroes. They don't want to read the adventures of characters whose deeds and words show them, the readers, what weasels they really are. They'd much rather bask in the comfort zone provided by heroes with "feet of clay". They'd much rather think "Batman would win because he cheats." "Byrne is an ogre because, to say otherwise would require me to actually think for myself."

Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 2  

Dear Agony Uncle,

All my really cool friends wont let me kiss their ass any more if I say JB's actually okay!?!?

please help, I couldn't stand at the counter and shoot the breeze with the guy behind the counter if I'm not "In-da-club"!

Desperately,

S. Heep

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 3  

...you're a celebrity...

A celebrity is one who is known to many persons he
is glad he doesn't know.

H. L. Mencken

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 4  

Truth.  Okay JB, I get that, I believe in it too.  I also believe in fair play and common decency.  I don't think you can realistically expect people to play fair unless you are prepared to do so yourself.

Two of the more prominent members of this board have conducted little short of character assassination of another member who happens to have a differing opinion from them, a difference of opinion you share.  That member has despite his differing opinion behaved courteously through out.

My question to you JB as an advocate of truth, do you condone their behaviour?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 5  

One man's "courteously" is another's "Oh God I Am So Tired of His Supercillious Attitude".

You're lifting one exchange and presenting it as if it is representative of a common pattern of behavior. Not so. As others have already noted (and which you are ignoring to make your point), there is nothing new here.

I neither condone nor condemn those members you single out. They react as they see fit -- as I do. And one of them, as you also choose to ignore, went a long time tyring to "play fair" before all of his buttons were finally pushed.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 6  

I've been lucky enough to meet many people whose work I respect (JB being one of them, back when MOS #1 first came out-- you signed the book for me, JB, and answered my question about Fearbook, so... I have no Bad Byrne story. ah well). In nearly every case, the encounter has been a delightful one, partly because I've tried to be respectful and appropriate to the person I'm meeting.

The handful of really negative encounters I've had-- and I've had a few-- did not affect my appreciation for that creator's work. All it did was persuade me that that person was either 1) having a really bad day or 2) a jerk I'm glad I don't know.

People often make assumptions about a creator based on their work or what they think they see in a creator's work. (Often the latter is a wild distortion that they have never corrected.) These assumptions are meaningless because they proceed from a complete lack of information. If the reader doesn't know the creator personally, why should they assume anything about the creator's opinions or beliefs? It's ignorance in operation to think that creating a character with repugnant beliefs or habits means the creator feels the same way.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 7  

I guess comic book creators aren't allowed to have a bad day, or be, y'know, people. Why don't we hold the actual work a given creator produces up to this standard?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 8  

First off: WOW.  Some of the back-and-forth in this thread makes me think I should wear a cup before daring to enter the discussion.

But I'm going to leave Lost Girls alone - I have a comment to make about it but it's not what I want to talk about.  I want to try to stay on topic - and I stipulate that everything I have to say is pure pop psychology.

For starters - I don't go out much.  Crowds give me the willies, and I can't stand to be around people who are drinking alcohol (just a phobia of drunk people) or smoking (burns my eyes and throat for the first hour, and then I'm a little freaked out that it STOPPED burning my eyes and throat).  Plus, I have always just preferred a quiet night at home, alone.

Then one night I went to see Frank Black & The Catholics perform in Indianapolis.  I called three of my five brothers who were also FB & The Cs fans and basically made them buy tickets also.  I was the one who introduced them to one of the great songwriters of our time and I was very proud to be there for the show with my brothers.  My family isn't super-close so this was a real treat.  Anyway, after the show we were in the parking lot waiting for traffic to clear and there was the man himself, Frank Black, in the parking lot chatting with fans.  For an hour.  While I stood, less than thirty feet away, debating whether or not to approach.  In the end, the decision was simple: I'd already had a wonderful night; why ruin it?

Why would talking to FB ruin it?  Why on Earth would I think that?  He was talking, GRINNING even, with his fans.  There was no reason to feel the way I did, but I did.  I was worried that I'd say something stupid and make a fool of myself.  And so then I got thinking that FB would agree with me that I had made a fool of myself.  THEN I worried that FB would realize I'd made a fool of myself before I realized I'd made a fool of myself, and that he'd be only to happy to point it out.  I'd worked out an entire interaction that left me in a fetal position at the feet of a man I regarded as a genius, and he was regarding me with something akin to bemused disdain.

This is what I think happens to Byrne Bashers.  They claim to dislike JB, but I think it's a reaction formation to the hatred they think he would feel for them if he knew them.  They are living out unilaterally a perceived mutual dislike.

That's what I think, anyway.

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 9  

I can certainly see why you don't go to comic conventions anymore JB.  Although I have been a comic fan my whole life, I have maybe gone to 3 or 4 ever and I can see how it would be a feeding frenzy for "sad boy" detractors.  Of course I have always hated running into shady dealers looking to rip off kids who are trying to sell their books, but that is another topic altogether.  You are so right about the offendee becoming the offender, that happens all the time.  I just don't see how common courtesy gets thrown out the window so often, especially when people think it is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity, like meeting you.  If you are nice to someone, they will probably be nice and civil back.  COMMON SENSE to me.

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

I appreciate the reply.

As to lifting one exchange and presenting it as representation of a common pattern of behaviour, not so.  If that is the case, I wasn't clear enough,as far as I am concerned it is not, my concerns were specific to this exchange. There is so much more that is great on this board in proportion to this kind of exchange and my position is that it is not representative of the board or the members in general.  Adamantly so.

I am glad for your confirmation regarding the actions of the members.  Without it it is too easy for people to make assumptions regarding your position.

As for Mike O' Brien playing fair before his buttons were pushed, sorry but that is not acceptable to me though I respect that it is for you.  Generally speaking, I like Mike, but in this instance I feel he let himself down and totally undermined his position in an unnecessary and unfortunate way.  Again, I speak only of this exchange and look forward to Mike's, for the most part hightly entertaining posts, in the future.

Thomas Gerhardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 11  

Despite the danger of being insulted, what irks me most is that Mr.
Byrne's career reminds me a bit of John Travolta's career – he was
absolutely stunning people left and right when he made Superman his
own, but as of late, none of his projects grab me. Perhaps this is because
I really don't care about second- or third-rate superheroes anymore, and
that is my own fault then.

I just think Byrne can be better than what he is doing right now. Like, a
proper European GN series (I can hook you up with a French agent LOL
not that you need that) or a VERTIGO series that has a fresh view on
something that he does best: science fiction.

As for being controversial, well, he has firm opinions, others have firm
opinions. Some people will not play well with each other, and that's okay,
as long as it is being kept civil on both sides.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Franklin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Thomas,
So ACTION COMICS, in your mind, is a "second- or third-rate superhero" comic?

Joe
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version