Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

"nd a silly drawing in the UPC box on the original art for an "Uncanny X-Men" cover from nearly 30 years ago."

And no one knows if JB even drew it !
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Huh. I missed the whole UPC box brou-ha-ha the first time around.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

Dont worry. A tempest in a teapot stirred up a "journalist" too lazy to actually do any research.

Edited by Mike Norris on 30 June 2006 at 4:06pm

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well spoken Jonathan.  I have read this board since I first discovered it probably around 2003 or so and I have never posted anything before, but I do feel the need to post now and say that I truly appreciate John Byrne taking time out of his schedule to talk to his fans also.  I love his work and have loved his work since I was 9 years old in 1983.  I have never thought he was a racist, mean spirited or a jerk.  What I belive John Byrne to be is a consumate professional in an industry that no longer values professionalism and work ethic.  They value talent, but most of those so called professionals with talent are hardly professional.  Trying to change people's opinion on the internet is like my struggle to contain the pesky ants in and around my house.  Raid works well, but others always rise to replace the ones you took care of the day before.  Screw them.  And thanks again to JB for caring about his fans and those who support him.
Back to Top profile | search

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well...i'm waiting for the fanboys to come prowl here i their defense of the "red sweater syndrome...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

Jb...

I'm not sure if your post is a statement of you not being a racist or an observation of stupid people?

either way...

I have been a Byrne Robotics Member since 03 September 2004 and lurked before that...
I have an observation regarding negative attitudes towards you...

The fans are not stupid... they are not mature.
They are not mature enuff to have their real names stand by their words or
They are not mature to research thru this massive worldwide database before they come to any conclusion
They are not mature enuff to lead... they just follow.

Being stupid is a special accomplishment that only a small number of people on this planet can NOT stand up and say "I am stupid." If they said this, this would mean they have some sense of logic and therefore cannot be titled as stupid.

The negative attitudes towards you fall into 1 of 2 categories as I see it...
1) need to show somekind of hardship so they get the notice of others
2) need a target to vent their frustrations

Reading your responses over the years, I can only conclude that your attitude sometimes is short with people, but with reason...

I've had such responses from you, but I see past it. Others it would seem lack the maturity to do so.

Can you change? Can you hire a PR person to change the perception of the NOT mature people? Can you learn a new trick that would change them?

Why do I say you instead of them? Because you can't control them, they will always be there, if it's not you as their target, it is someone else... their attitude will always be there until LIFE hits them head on and -change for the better, will be the only thing that they have left.

30 years of great work is quite an accomplishment, that alone should speak for itself... just quietly point to it and walk away...

If they still think you are a racist, a jerk, or anything else... well show them a donation stub to the UNCF or whatever works against their preceptions...

I remember EMINEM was accused of being a homophobe or some such anti-gay crap... the NOT mature people yelled loud and clear, they were EVERYWHERE... next thing you see Eminem and Elton John singing together and hugging... that shut the NOT mature people hard and fast....

Can you do something about the NOT mature people other than write about it?

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Am I off on this line of thinking?

Edited by George Peter Gatsis on 30 June 2006 at 4:29pm

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well come on guys. It's not like there is anything interesting happening in the Marvel and DC comics anymore. There is nothing left for fandom to do but to turn inward on itself and gnaw at its very soul in-between six months waits for a fix of their favorite creators latest behind schedule “masterpiece.” When you take fun and adventure out of comics, and replace it with quasi-celebrities and pretentious herd mentality political correctness and post-post modernistic nihilism, this is the sort of fan-base that you get. Great job comics industry.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm often reminded that knowing that a word exists doesn't mean the user has any idea what the word means or how to use it correctly. Many truly stupid people try to sound smart by using words they've heard (or read) with barely any concept of their definition.

Which is why, JB, it doesn't surprise me that some idiot (and I use that word knowing what it means) accuses you of making "racist diatribes" in your work. They don't know what the words mean. Devoid of intent, they're also devoid of power; it's the verbal equivalent of chimpanzees flinging dung. Take heart that those of us who are fans pretty much get what you intend (and ask you directly if we don't).

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

How to destroy all Byrne Bashing:

1.  Don't make a single, derogatory remark about another creator, fan or retailer.  Restrict your comments to work, and positive stories within the industry.  Name artists and writers who are professional.

2. Keep producing excellent artwork, keep evolving.  Praise those you work with who do a good job. Don't knock those who don't. See rule 1

3. Phrasing and tact.
I could go off on one here, but I'm guessing you've been told enough times in your life that you could be a bit more thoughtful and diplomatic about what you say and how you say it. Which is really ironic for a writer!

4. The hardest part (except for rule 1)
Go to a prominent board like Newsarama, Millarworld, hell, even the Bendis! board, and introduce yourself.  Speak to fans,  calmly and reasonably.  Do some positive PR work.  You've said yourself, it's a minority of fans that cause the trouble.  Go to the majority and talk to them.  They can't come here, because this is your territory.  You are the big bad in his castle here, so they are free to imagine all sorts of terrors about you. And yes, this can be a pretty scary intense board.  I go to Millarworld and Newsarama to relax sometimes!

Even Dr Doom goes to New York now and again...

Sorry if all the above is too much, but it kind of felt like the spirit of this thread was to address the heart of Byrne bashing once and for all.

And for the record, if I can be honest, I don't think you are racist -I think you get a touch bigfoot with black characters faces sometimes, but that hardly makes you a racist.

As an aside, I once read of a couple who were delighted and proud that their childs' first word was nigger...  I read that almost 20 years ago, and the thought still sickens me today.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'll take John Byrne's decades long respectful treatment of characters of Color over baseless accusations of his racism any day.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

Lot of fans today have an imaginary John Byrne in their mind.

There are the anti-Byrnes (called too the Byrne bashers) and there's the people who believe them.

Racism is certainly one of the most ridiculous amongst the defaults they atribute to you.

Maybe you're sometime not very careful in the way you say some things, but to call it racism, one have to:

1) Ignore the comics you co-plot, draw or wrote all along the years (yes Iron Fist and Misty come to mind, so does Wyatt Wingfoot/She Hulk and many other characters)

2) want to find racism in what you say, no matter what was your intention when you said or wrote on-line a sentence maybe not very politicly correct, but not racist either.

OUT OF TOPIC: By the way I was wondering: Have the first name of Misty Knight a link with Erroll Garner's Jazz Standard "Misty"? Or maybe Clint Eastwood's movie "Play Misty For Me" in wich a woman ask every night to a DJ this music?

Just curious.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Robert, why should any comic creator have to do all of those things just to get a fair shake?  And even if he did, I seriously doubt it would put an end to all of the bad Byrne stories.

Oh, and I've always thought that JB and Alan Davis were among the few artists who draw Black comic book characters well.  Many are "hit or miss" with their depictions, and some (like Eduardo Rizzo) make them look downright demonic.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version