Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

They hate me because they're supposed to, JD.

Independent thought is discourage in fandom.
Back to Top profile | search

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

http://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=35012

Are these for real?

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

"What's a "chicken-fry"?  Is that a reference to people who work in the fast food industry?  Or some kind of diagonal reference to the old "black people like fried chicken" chestnut?  I don't get it."

It's a term originating from my mind from "chicken-fried steak", which is a Southern type thing. As in THE STAND miniseries when Stu Redman is told, "It makes me sick to see good men die while chicken-fried crap like you lives." Paraphrasing. I use it to designate any worthless degenerate ill-conception who disregards responsibility and has no moral or ethical stance whatsoever. (Not, I note, Stu Redman, but the term fit a whole subset of society, black, white, Mexican, whatever...human beings with no desire to better themselves, the world, or the quality of life. In other words, a "chicken-fry").

Of course you're ready to play the racial angle. Why would I be on this forum to begin with, and in this thread, if my whole stance is using racial epitaphs? How about some common sense?

And my assertion that this culture is D-U-N is valid, friend. Where's the advancement? Where are the great minds? The technology age is the new Dark Age. Originality cannot form in the soil of mediocrity. And what the technology age has provided is the immobilization of self, of the rise of the idea that "everyone has a chance". Well, they don't. That's a reality. Real genius, real talent, is now buried under mountains of mediocre voices crying out for attention. Stephen Hawking is the closest approximation of "greatness" this culture has left, one of a few voices left who might impart something that could change everything. And not everyone has to do that, but in this day and age, how would you know it? With mediocrity being hailed as genius left and right, and the subsequent relief of this culture to fall in line with that subterreanean watermark (since it doesn't require work), you're left with an empty fast food mentality ready to anoint the next temporary blip in the dwindling stream of great minds. No integrity, no worth.

I simply assert that the unborn aborted millions do not contain the key to mankind's modern or future relevance. It doesn't require one great genius to solve all the problems, or a Superman savior. It takes men and women committed to making the culture better, to solve the problems that people were interested in solving sometime in the 1960s, but which dissolved as fantasy soonafter. The culture is currently exhausted, and most likely only catastrophe will both result and solve the issue of lost potential. In 1968, man walked on the moon. 37 years later, where have things gone? Where are the advancements? Did all those abortions result in the death of the man who would have taken mankind to the stars, or to some subatomic dimension?

Highly likely that cat would have merely contributed to the next strain of ebola which will, no doubt, arise as nature attempts to balance out all of this overpopulation. The point that was made was that pro-choice does not preclude the existence of hope for a better world. Frankly, I'm more in the Ambrose Bierce camp, and was he really wrong? Some people thought 911 was going to change the culture. And it did, in all the wrong ways. Vats of jingoist peanut butter with no expiration date. Congratulations.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

It just occurred to me that the "Real Genius" beer ads actually sum up this society, and culture, perfectly. It's funny and painfully true at the same time. All that's left is if somebody figures out how to tap into the higher brain functions so that we can all wear cyber-helmets and dream our way out of this reality.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

What we really need are "Norman Osbourne Hearts Gwen Stacy" t-shirts

or other t-shirt ideas.

Spider-Man sez: hey Kids! Stay in school, don't do drugs, do what your mom tells you to... or I'll swing over to your house in my new techno armor, pop my wrist spikes, and eat part of your face!

Blue Beetle:Better Dead than Ted. With a picture of Maxwell Lord blowing the poor guy's brains out...

How about one with Dr. Light standing in the Superman hands on hips pose and leering above a caption that reads "rec.arts.comics.DC.Identity_Crisis.Metzler.plot.sue_dibney. rape.rape.rape"

Or we could have a picture of Powerman and Jessica Jones and he's telling her to "Bendis Over"...

Or maybe a picture of the Watcher gouging his own eyes out...

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 July 2006 at 1:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

Newsarama has their own t-shirts now?

Kidding.

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

They hate you because they're supposed to? What about those who decided to come on over to find the truth and were disappointe with what they found and whilst they don't hate you find they don't like what they find? Is that herd mentality?

Jason Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

The JBF should do their own t-shirts instead. The obvious slogans would work well "Byrne Victum" or "I visited the JBF and all I got was this losy t-shirt." There could even be bumper stickers: "My other car is a Lincoln MK V" 

A limited edition run of t-shirts featuring an exlusive JB sketch would probably sell quite well. (I have dim memories of something similar happening before, but I could be wrong.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

I kinda think Rich Johnson nailed it strangely.  JB says things that could be said with maybe a bit more tact, but JB's no racist,  nor anything else a few very vocal people would like to claim. And yeah, Atom is great stuff.  The kid in my head keeps wanting to re-read it!

It's the beginning of the turn around I tells ya!

(oh, and the "just how fast is Iron Man" piece made me laugh out loud)

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

They hate you because they're supposed to? What about those who decided to come on over to find the truth and were disappointe with what they found and whilst they don't hate you find they don't like what they find? Is that herd mentality?

Could be applied to anything, David.  'Those who came over to find etc.' are welcome to their views.  And can fuck off without anyone stopping them.  Why then launch the kind of 'crusade' JB has referred to?  And he is right to feel that there is a vitriolic, deliberate campaign to destroy his career from some of these people.

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

Not everyone starts a crusade. I've not, have I? I'm just interested because it sounds like there's no middle ground. For or against.

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

No, but then your kind of response/posting is not what this thread is about - see the title

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version