Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Deadlines and Schedules (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

<<My question is were these books on a bi-monthly schedule because of talent issues (i.e. the writer and artist couldn't do a monthly book)? Or was there another reason unrelated to talent (distribution, sales, etc.)?>>

Since you addressed this to John or anyone:  My understanding is most bi-monthly books in the 1970s were that way because of sales. Even Detective Comics was bi-monthly (or maybe eight times a year) in the 1970s for this reason. Books even started bi-monthly and "earned" the right to come out more often, although this changed later in the decade.

On a related note: Does this happen anymore? Most books today start monthly and live or die based on that schedule -- unless a late issue puts a book three, four, or however many months behind. Have any modern books been pushed back to a less frequent publishing schedule due to sales?

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

Grid layout
No backgrounds
Nobody in costume
Talking heads

Brilliant storytelling.

All bow to the master.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

That Neal Adams guy is pretty good, isn't he?

Michael Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wow, I have not read dialogue like that in a long time. a powerful read. It looks like backgrounds are only needed when it pertains to a specific moment in a story

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
My question is were these books on a bi-monthly schedule because of talent issues (i.e. the writer and artist couldn't do a monthly book)? Or was there another reason unrelated to talent (distribution, sales, etc.)?

95% of the time was sales.  Every once in awhile you'd get one to keep the talent from being overworked.  At least that's what they said, anyway. 

QUOTE:
Anyway, it seems to be that if you can only do six books a year, it's better to promise only six books a year, rather than promising 12 and only delivering six.

Yep.

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

alot of books today... are being CRAMMED with detailed artwork on every panel on every page...

George Prez had and has a great system of fooling the reader... 1 super detailed page, then 3 less detailed pages and repeated through out the issue...

at then end, eveyone praised him for the incredible detail in every issue... and meeting the deadlines...

people who miss the deadlines, usually miss interpeting the content of the story... and don't know there is a pause button on the game systems...

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

I received criiticism elsewhere when I voiced displeasure over the consistant lateness of Superman/Batman. The excuse I consistantly heard was that the writer's son was very sick, and then later on that he had died.

Now, althought that is itself a tragic occurance, it should have no bearing on the business of putting out a book on a monthly basis. Especially when another late issue is offered as a blatant and sympathy-laden, self-absorbed, vanity tribute to the dead son. A "yeah, we're sorry, but..."

The business has lost the balls to dictate a corporate vision and ethic to the hired help, instead of vice versa. If a writer is so overcome by a personal issue, the company should have the option to continue to put out the product. And if all the  issues were 'in the can' before committing to a specific storyarc, providing fill-ins to go between arcs shouldn't be an issue.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 8  

Some reviewer was complaining about the clutter of background detail and over-coloring on a cover of Slott's THING series. Rather than being prominent, Grimm seems swallowed in detail. Too much.

I was reading an interview with Roger Stern from FFPlaza.com. I went back to get this quote because of how much people revile Sal Buscema for his lack of backgrounds while telling his story, as if he was too untalented or too much a hack to bother putting them in:

"SK: Are there any (artists) that stand out for whatever reason? You just really admire their work or they were a blast to work with?

RS: I've got a huge list obviously. And John Buscema is far and away the best illustrator, but Sal [Buscmea, John's brother], I think, is a better cartoonist. He's actually a better storyteller. Not that there's anything wrong with John's storytelling, but Sal's stories are far better whereas John's illustration is better. But they're both great.

I got to work with [Steve] Ditko on a few projects. That was great. Not only some of the stuff he came up with, but when he'd draw the stories I'd come up with. There's that Avengers Annual. I came up with this story with Arnim Zola. You know there's maybe only half a dozen guys in the business who can draw Arnim Zola and not have him seem silly. "He's actually not working for Marvel right now. Now John's busy and this guy I don't think... and, well, (Michael) Golden: we'd like for it come out this year (noting Golden was a "late" artist, but his work always came out gorgeous)." I was talking to Tom DeFalco and he says, "You know... what about Ditko? Ditko would be great! And it'd be real sharp!" Ditko drew it and John [Byrne] had some time open up in his schedule, so he inked it.

SK: Yeah, I remember that one.

(Author's Note: It was Avengers Annual #13.)

RS: It was just a joy; it was wonderful. It had some great stuff. "

Edited by Chad Carter on 25 July 2006 at 6:10pm

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Especially when another late issue is offered as a blatant and sympathy-laden, self-absorbed, vanity tribute to the dead son."

That would be the issue where everyone involved donated the money to the Sam Loeb College Scholarship Fund?  Yep, that certainly sounds self-absorbed and vain to me.

It seems like you could have made your point about the lateness of the book without taking a shot like that, and if that's the way you expressed your displeasure, I'm not surprised you were criticized.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

"it should have no bearing on the business of putting out a book on a monthly basis"

I agree 100%. They could have had used a fill-in writer.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

When the Editor-in Chief of a comics publishing company has an issue of a book that's over a year late, why does anyone wonder why any of the other late books that publisher releases are late? If it's "lead by example" he's certainly doing a great job.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

Did he ever finish that grotesque Daredevil mini-series? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version