Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Douglas Adams’ view of art (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 1  

I just finished a chaptor in Douglas Adams' book "The last Salman of Doudt" were he discribles how once some creative indevor is discribed as art, it stops being the wonderfull creative, intuitive, and spontaneous work that it had once been.  This is due to people trying to force it into a "High" concepts and over thinking, thus the creativity, intuitive nature, and spontaneity die.

For many years I have wanted comics to be seen and recognized by the world as "art".  But when I look back at the comics that have atained this they have all lost the creative, intuitive, and spontaneous element.

I want to use Watchmen as  a prime example because  Mr. Moore had done it previously in Marvel Man.

Any ones thoughts on other comics, or the concept of calling something art distroying it?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Part of my recent trip to Canada was a mini-reunion with about a dozen of my former classmates from the Alberta College of Art. As is inevitable, I suppose, when a bunch of artists get together, a discussion of "what is art?" came up, and several of us presented some very diverse views. My old pal Gary Cody went thru his traditional routine of beating himself up for being a "realist" since, he has gotten into his head, only non-representational works are truly "art". (Gary thinks Jackson Pollock is one of the greatest artists of the 20th Century. I think Pollock is is one of the Century's greatest con men.)

I made my usual point, that art is about control. Dribbling paint on a canvas does not make "art" -- it makes dribbles on a canvas. If one cannot control exactly where each line, or stroke, or dribble is going, it is no more "art" than when a baby throws his strained peas on the floor.

I was pleasantly surprised to witness some of my old classmates having what appeared to be mini-epiphanies as I said this. The lightbulbs going on over their heads was quite refreshing to see -- as was my satisfaction in helping them take a step or two in the direction of escaping from the kind of pompous, pretentious art-think mentality that had been drilled into us all in school.

Therein lies the central problem when we label something "art". It becomes pretentious almost instantly. It becomes part of the great Myth of the Artist -- the myth that we chosen few are somehow better than lowly mortals who "can't draw a straight line with a ruler." Artists themselves are the first to encourage this myth, mostly because it allows them, like Pollock, to con a dazed and bewildered audience -- to get away with all manner of self indulgence -- crucifixes in urine, Madonnas smeared with elephant dung -- in the name of "ART".

What these clowns fail to realize is that this particular sword can, and must, swing both ways. All ways, even. If what Pollock and the dung-smearers do is "art", then so are those dewey-eyed kittens painted on black velvet. So is a hotel/motel style mountain scene. So is a comic book.

Andy Warhol was quoted as saying "Art is whatever you can get away with." I think history has shown us that is absolutely true. Michelangelo is art, so is Rob Liefeld. The pretentions must be broken down not by categorizing -- by saying that something is "lost" when a work is labeled "art" -- but by saying it is all art, and nobody gets to say who can and cannot be in the club.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 3  

Methinks this is FAQ material...(or perhaps, for the Dept. of Infrequently Asked Questions?  Words worth preserving, is what I mean).

Ken Lomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 4  

JB,

I received my art degree back in the mid 90's. I've been in charge of a small art department for seven years. The more control I get over my craft the more I feel a draftsman and less of an artist. I've become more of a Quality Control person for the department. All I see are the flaws in other artists work. Flaws being the lack of quality in their work in  the allotted time I have given them to complete said task. Is this commen trait with artists with experience?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 5  

"I made my usual point, that art is about control. Dribbling paint on a canvas does not make "art" -- it makes dribbles on a canvas. If one cannot control exactly where each line, or stroke, or dribble is going, it is no more "art" than when a baby throws his strained peas on the floor."
~~~~~

This has been in my head for years, but not defined in this way.  Excellent.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 6  

The more control I get over my craft the more I feel a draftsman and less of an artist.

Do you think Leonardo was a draftsman, or did he just randomly slap paint on canvas to produce "La Giaconda"?

Or, to put that another way, why should a draftsman not be considered an artist? Isn't this...

...art?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have the same feelings about `modern art` in what way is an unmade bed or  half a cow in Formaldehyde art?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ken Lomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Leonardo's Mona Lisa is a work of art. I'm probably digging a grave for myself by saying this, but he could have drawn a window frame behind the woman. The piece would have made more sense.

A couple months back I went to the Philadelphia art museum to catch the Andrew Wyeth exhibit. It amazed me what his early drafts with pen and paper produced. How much his final product differed from his early sketches. I do encourage several ruff sketches before producing the final product.

I would label the car or camera attached more as art than your isometric example. As an artist I see flaws in the isometric inner casings detail. But the draftsman probably punched in a bunch of coordinates (in Autocad) and when he believed he was finished he just stopped. The 3D animator's needed to make the inner casings detail more elaborate and realistic to hold up against his audience.

My experience dictates that the mental approach between the artist and the draftsman is different. The draftsman just wants to make the quick buck and work overtime on the weekend to make a little more. The artist ( at least a good artist) knows what he wants to convey to his audience. He knows his subject material and just wants to make his art last in his audiences mind long after viewing it. Take the two example shown. Will you remember the details of camcorder or the camera/ car later tonight?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

The draftsman just wants to make the quick buck and work overtime on the weekend to make a little more.

People named Lomas are all idiots.

Or would you prefer I not make unsupported generalizations?

+++

The artist ( at least a good artist) knows what he wants to convey to his audience. He knows his subject material and just wants to make his art last in his audiences mind long after viewing it. Take the two example shown. Will you remember the details of camcorder or the camera/ car later tonight?

Come back tomorrow and tell me what details you remember from this:

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

Another good Douglas Adams exploration into the meaning of art can be found as the subtext behind the Doctor Who series "City of Death" which was recently released on DVD. Well worth watching and thinking about.

To my mind, art is the effective communication of ideas, and thus a lot of things we don't normally think of as "art" can be elevated as such. It must be remembered, however, that not all ideas are necessarily equal and not all modes of communication are obviously the cleverest way to explore those ideas. That’s where a lot of confusion lies when it comes to discussing the work of people like Mapplethorpe. (Nicely composed photograph, but the subject matter…)

Talent and genius are the combination of a unique idea communicated in an effective, compelling way. But in this day and age, we’re all too often ready to classify the inscrutable as genius, because if we don’t readily understand it, then obviously it must mean something.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ken - anyone working any job can do it just for bucks. I don't think that is exclusive to draftsmen.

Likewise, other artists, "good" or otherwise, can do it just for bucks. What's the line I read on the forum recently about Lennon wanting to wirte a song to get a pool?

edited because it is "the" rather than "teh"

Edited by David Whiteley on 31 July 2006 at 5:13pm

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2006 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

I wouldn't mind having an enlarged and framed copy of that camera illustration on my wall.

Even in technical drawing, the illustrator has to use creativity and judgement in recreating reality.  Two illustrations drawn by artists of equal skill may not be equal, because one might not be as appealing, or clear, or concise, as the other.  The better picture is better because the artist had a clearer conceptual idea of what they wanted to show, and the technical ability to apply that idea to the canvas.

Just because an 'artiste' may want to use an illustration to get across the idea of existential cynicism, and an illustrator is using the picture to communicate refraction and gear ratios, doesn't mean that either is less art.  In fact, the illustrator may have more of a burden... because he runs the risk of getting it wrong.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version