Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q4JB - Superman/Wonder Woman (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 1  

The Superman/Batman relationship has always seemed very interesting and engaging, perhaps in part because of their differences.

Superman and Wonder Woman, having similar power levels, caused me to wonder how you approached making their relationship just as engaging, and if any specific differences or ideas helped you create the energy and chemistry? 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

Superman and Wonder Woman have something Superman and Batman could never have: sexual tension. It may be low key, but it is the hub on which the relationship turns.
Back to Top profile | search

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

It was certainly interesting to see the development of the Superman / WW dynamic leading up to and in ACTION 600. There was some great dialogue in 600 defining their relationship.

Edited by David Whiteley on 01 August 2006 at 1:00pm

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

There could SO be sexual tension twixt Batman and Superman...

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

Mr. Brunt, even as I read JB's reply I was wondering when someone would go there.  And since I cannot be sure if you are kidding or not...

Beyond someone talking a Golden or Silver age story out of context, there has never been a reason to assume any homoerotic tension or feeling between Batman or Superman. Or Batman and Robin. No matter what the creation of Apollo or Midnighter might suggest.

I'm all for creating all kinds of diversity in comics or any other media - but not twisting what existed before to fit into one category or another just for the sake of doing so.

Michael Kennedy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was going to go there, with a joke, but I felt it just wasn't appropriate for the topic at hand.

Would that I could find ACTION #600! Alas, I spent just about two years looking through the bins at various comic shops (back when I was actually buying comics from a comic shop) and could never find it.

The lead up to it was so good that I wanted to read more!

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

I see the British reprint all the time in second hand shops, there are lots of people who got into comics through the L.E.M. editions with 80's Superman and the Giffen J.L. and later bought the original editions and sold their sets. You may want to investigate that run and find out when they reprinted 600.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

If you are only interested in the main story of Action 600, you can find it reprinted on the third volume that reprints George Perez run on WW.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Kennedy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'll look into that. Thank you Mr. Brunt.

Mr. Arciniega, I was thinking of getting those soon, anyway. That just puts them (well, the third one, anyway) up a couple of notches on the list. Thanks!

I think the "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - Stories that inspired the TV show" collection has at least one story from ACTION 600 in it.

This is off topic, but, reading the forward in that by John Byrne was the first time that I ever read something from a comic book creator that made me go: "If I met this guy in person, I think I'd really like him."

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 10  

When JB was doing Superman, I felt that the Superman/Diana relationship was kind of one-sided. They both seemed intrigued by each other, but I got the impression that Superman definitely had a stronger physical attraction to Diana than she did for him.

Now the pendulum seems to have swung the other way. In the last four or five years, Diana appears to have an unrequited love for Superman, whereas, he, happpily married and all, regards her as more of a sister.

It also appears that she is attracted to the stronger personalities on the JLA.  At various times, she has been written as attracted to Batman and Aquaman as well. I find it interesting that no one has been able to write a credible love interest with any staying power.

Michael Kennedy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ron Chevrier wrote:
It also appears that she [Wonder Woman] is attracted to the stronger personalities on the JLA.  At various times, she has been written as attracted to Batman and Aquaman as well. I find it interesting that no one has been able to write a credible love interest with any staying power.

I think a large part of this problem has been brought on by the 'fans-turned-pro' mentality. They want to see Wonder Woman + <Insert DC hero here>, and they write stories about that.

Rene Ritchie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 12  

Thanks JB!

Embarassingly, that hadn't occured to me at all. I'd been looking over your excellent Man of Steel issue with Batman and the whole bomb/innocent life thread, and so that kind of morality play had been front and center.

Infinite Crisis(es) aside, were there any morality differences between the 2 you found particularly interesting?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version