Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Question for J.B - Drawing Hands (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2006 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 1  

Hey J.B

I was curious on how you go about drawing hands. I'm not asking for a tutorial or anything like that but I personally find that I spend the same time drawing hands as I draw the rest of the body!

Also did you ever have trouble drawing hands in the beginning?

Ironically I don't have much trouble drawing feet!

(Thread Title)

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 03 August 2006 at 5:29am

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2006 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 2  

Al Milgrom once said that there is no excuse for drawing hands poorly, since almost everybody has at least one at the end of each arm.

As a kid, I spent a lot of time drawing little "portraits" of my left hand. It was something of a revelation when I stumbled across an art book that pointed out how the arm and wrist basically grows straight into the middle three fingers, with the thumb and little finger attached to the side. In Art College I finally saw the ramp of tendons that run from wrist to knuckles, and how the palm is suspended under that ramp. Playing around myself I finally "got" that a fist is not a square block, but that the curled fingers sort of wrap around the thumb.

In the end, it comes down to observation and practise!

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the reply J.B!

Steve Lieber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 4  

ADK wrote:
"but I personally find that I spend the same time drawing hands as I draw the rest of the body!"

Good to hear. I've found when I critique a portfolio, I almost always advise artists to put more care into drawing hands. Until an artist has a lot of experience, hands should take a while to draw. The hand has five "limbs". The body only has four.

JB's second paragraph above is a great example of why I come here. It's a pleasure to read clear writing about the craft of drawing. I remember copying a diagram JB drew of the step-down from the wrist to the hand- (Was it in a Solson comic? Can I be remembering that right?) -and feeling the unmistakable click of an important lesson falling into place.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 5  

I remember copying a diagram JB drew of the step-down from the wrist to the hand- (Was it in a Solson comic? Can I be remembering that right?) -and feeling the unmistakable click of an important lesson falling into place.

Same experience I had when I read about perspective for the first time. I was sitting in the back of my Dad's old 1959 Plymouth, waiting while my parents shopped, reading the "manual" in the "Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw" kit they'd just bought me. I read about vanishing points, looked out the window -- and SAW them for the first time.

I was about 11 years old. As I think you may have noticed, looking at my work, the effect was somewhat profound!

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

Just curious, but does anyone happen to have that Solson comic, or
wherever that JB hand-drawing diagram may be at? Is a scan here on
the board possible?

Here's hoping--for the drawing neophytes present (ahem).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's really pretty simple:

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Say!

I might just print that...

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

One of my favorite Peanuts strips had one of the kids phsychoanalizing the other based on the fact that he drew his characters with their hands behind their backs.  The artist's response was, "I just can't draw hands."

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

oh, hey!
looking for one thing and then something just as grand--if not
better--comes along.

Thanks, JB.

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Steve Lieber wrote: "Good to hear. I've found when I critique a portfolio, I almost always advise artists to put more care into drawing hands. Until an artist has a lot of experience, hands should take a while to draw. The hand has five "limbs". The body only has four.

JB's second paragraph above is a great example of why I come here. It's a pleasure to read clear writing about the craft of drawing. I remember copying a diagram JB drew of the step-down from the wrist to the hand- (Was it in a Solson comic? Can I be remembering that right?) -and feeling the unmistakable click of an important lesson falling into place."

Hang on a tick! My brain switched on and I just realised who you are! Big fan of your stuff.

Orlando Teuta Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 12  

So simple, yet it took someone pointing it out for me to notice. Thanks JB, in  few words, you've helped me fix one of the problems I've had in my figure drawings. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version