Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: A Question for JB regarding Chris Claremont (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 1  

I ran across this, while doing some research on a book I'm writing:

Into this bubbling swamp of spiritual fecundity stepped Peter Levenda, aka "Simon." Charming, soft-spoken and aloof, well-versed in all aspects of occult theory and practice, he eased his way to the center of the scene...

He cultivated an elusive, secretive persona, giving him a fantastic and blatantly implausible line of bullshit to cover the book’s (the Necronomicon) origins. He had no telephone. He always wore business suits, in stark contrast to the flamboyant Renaissance fair, proto-goth costuming that dominated the scene. He never got high in public.

In short, he knew the signifiers and emblems of authority, and played them to the hilt. He hinted broadly of dealings with intelligence agencies and secret societies operating at global levels of social influence. He began teaching classes in the back room, and showed a genuine knack for clarifying and elucidating such baroque encrypted arcana as John Dee’s Enochian magick system in such a way as to make it understandable even to a novice. He also lacked the guts to let a woman know when he was through with her, or so Bonnie said.
She was positioned to know at the time, despite her failing marriage to Chris Claremont, the comic book author who put the X-Men on the map. Chris was her third husband. I was her fourth, and last.

The woman in question, called Bonnie, was, according to this article, the infamous Wiccan High Priestess Graymalkin that held court in New York in the late seventies and early eighties.

I had no idea she had been married to Chris Claremont, and seeing as how you and he were working together at this time, I was wondering if you might have some insights into his former wife.

Did she play the role of High Priestess in your presence? Was Chris involved with magic as well?

I noticed throughout the early runs of the New X-Men references to the Kabbalah (Tree of Life) and the Hellfire Club,in and of itself, had all the trappings of a Hermetic Order.

How much influence, if any do you feel she may have had on those early X-Men adventures? Amanda Sefton comes to mind...

Thanks.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 2  

Yes, Bonnie and Chris were married.

I don't know how much he played into the Wicca
nonsense.
Back to Top profile | search

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 3  

JB, if I recall correctly you drawn her in one of the issues of UNCANNY X-MEN where Alpha Flight was introduced. Does my memory still work?
According to the Italian X editor, her name was Bonnie Wilford, so I presume she is the one we're talking about. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bob Freeman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Wow, I didn't realize that Graymalkin was Bonnie Wilford... she colored a few issues of Iron Fist and did some later X-Men work as I recall.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 5  

...if I recall correctly you drawn her in one of the issues of UNCANNY X-MEN where Alpha Flight was introduced. Does my memory still work?

I think you're remembering the closing scenes of IRON FIST 15, guest starring the X-Men.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm remembering a comic book which I haven't.

Infinite is my power, mere mortals!!!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gene Kendall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 7  

Why was she "infamous"?  Is she well-known in that community?

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 8  

The Xavier Mansion is located at 1407 Graymalkin Lane in the town of Salem Center... Hmm....

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sounds like one of the subplots in Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind.

Dave Carr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

It was also around that time that Illyana Rasputin became a disciple of Belasco, and her code name became "Magik".  You couldn't go three panels in X-Men or the New Mutants without someone mentioning the words "eldritch" or "daemonic" popping up.  JB has mentioned how the novel "Shogun" influenced Claremont, and it sounds like his wife had a similar influence on his work.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

Re-reading it today, I notice that Chris and Bonnie also make a little cameo in X-Men #98 (along with Stan and Jack).

Gene Kendall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

It was also around that time that Illyana Rasputin became a disciple of Belasco, and her code name became "Magik".  You couldn't go three panels in X-Men or the New Mutants without someone mentioning the words "eldritch" or "daemonic" popping up.  JB has mentioned how the novel "Shogun" influenced Claremont, and it sounds like his wife had a similar influence on his work.

I think he was actually divorced by this point.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version