Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Colliding Universes - 08.23.06 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What's wrong with comic company's upper management?!

Again I invoke Stan Lee: "Never give the fans what they think they want." Most of the present upper management (everywhere) would fall on their swords before they would follow that maxim.

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Wiist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I somehow missed this thread yesterday!

Fantastic fun! Can't wait to see this played out in a
future Generations!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Mark Haslett wrote:
This takes on the full potential of these commission pieces, showing us things that can happen no where else.

Yeah, I kind of had a revelation at Mid Ohio Con a couple of years ago.  I asked one artist for a commission of a character he's well known for and another artist for a character he'd never done before but seemed to fit his strengths.  Both gave me very nice pieces, but the latter just seemed a little more special to me.

This idea followed from that thought process - not much JB JSA material out there and there would have to be a very odd confluence of events to ever get a JSA vs. Galactus story by anyone...

Kevin Brown wrote:
My statement should read then:  Whomever is getting that piece is a damn lucky person!

And broke... 

Thanks, JB!  (Particularly for letting me squeeze in Alan Scott at the last minute.)  I had high hopes but... wow.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Very nice combo. I never thought I would see the Spectre battle Galactus. Plus anytime you draw (any) Green Lantern it's a treat for me!

Roger Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Excellent work JB, the only quibbles being the lack of the ear slots in Dr. Fate's helmet, and GL's boots are too high.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Simple -- a huge chunk of what's left of the audience won't buy "stories set in the past".

Displaying a serious disconnect between comics and the rest of the world- Devil in the White City would've never been published and the Pirates of the Caribbean films never would've been made with that mentality in place.

Jonathan Graver
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Simple -- a huge chunk of what's left of the audience won't buy "stories set in the past".

+++

Displaying a serious disconnect between comics and the rest of the world- Devil in the White City would've never been published and the Pirates of the Caribbean films never would've been made with that mentality in place.

I have mentioned before the fan who informed me he would not be reading HIDDEN YEARS, for this very reason, while sporting a STAR WARS T-shirt. "Disconnect" is a good word for this. Somehow these same fans who "don't like stories set in the past" will flock to SW, or the latest Indiana Jones, or "Pirates", or who will cheer the "retro" look of the animated "Batman", will turn up their noses at a superhero comic set in the 1940s -- the very decade that gave us most of the superheroes in the first place!

It is, unfortunately, not an attitude born of logic. It is an affectation, such as we often see in "fandom". Seeking to seem a staunch iconoclast whilst dutifully following the herd.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That is the strangest edict I've ever heard.  All-Star Squadron was coming out when I started collecting comics and I snatched up every issue of that I could find.  I love the ideas of the heroes involved in WWII.

So with DC's editorial policy, The Golden Age couldn't be published.  Is this why they won't let you do another round of Generations, JB?

(Couldn't the Spectre (or Dr. Fate) defeat Galactus the same way Dr. Strange did in FF # 243?)  LOVE THE PIECE.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB wrote:
Again I invoke Stan Lee: "Never give the fans what they think they want."

Ha! I can tell you they didn't give me what I wanted with Infinite Crisis and One Year Later!! THat might've been a case where they should have.

By the way, I think this is my favorite commision so far. I liek the additions of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman in the background.

- Mark

Edited by Mark McKay on 25 August 2006 at 6:50am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Considering "Cuthroat Island" and Roman Polanski's "Pirates" were two of the biggest financial flops of the last 20 years. I was kind of surprised that POTC got made, not to mention what a sucess it was.

Deepak Ramani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John Byrne wrote:

Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier did very well, or at least well enough to be collected in an Absolute Edition.  So there's some hope that fans will buy stories set in the past, even if they are only one-shots or heavily hyped mini-series.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version