Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB. Unused X-Men plots Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Holy Crap!  That's some major emotion in that scribble. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This has to be one of my favorite threads ever!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I see a new collection emerging: The Magical Cupboard of John Byrne!
Back to Top profile | search

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Daniel Kendrick: I'm curious what would have happened in issue #143

Probably what is written down for issue #144.  If you look at the months next to the issue numbers, it goes from Nov 142 to Dec 144.

What's really fun about looking at this is noticing that the point of divergence from what was and what could have been was around issue 134.  If the Phoenix Saga hadn't taken on an extra couple issues, it appears that we would not have seen Days of Future Past.  The payoff, of course, being that these stories that never happened sound like they would have been great in place of DOFP.

JB, had you not suffered your ultimate ARGH! moment with issue 138, were any of these other stories still in line to make it to the book at a later date?  The Mariko/Sabretooth story sounds like it would have been the best of your run on the title.

Lionel Faure
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wow!!! I've never even dreamed to see something like that someday. Thanks so much for sharing! That glimse drawing of Wolverine is priceless!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Is it just me, or is this not big news?

Seriously!

This is an important piece of X-Men history, if you ask me. The notes and that sketch!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm going to break one of my own rules here, since I have, at one time or another, discussed most of the details of Mariko's death as I had worked it out. So here it is all together, for those who haven't seen it before (and even those who have):

Sabretooth attacks Mariko as a way of getting to Wolverine. He brutalizes her beyond imagining. (Nothing sexual. This is sheer animal violence.) He leaves her for dead, torn and bleeding in a alley.

But she isn't dead, and the X-Men, tracking Sabretooth, find her. They race her to a hospital, and over the next several issues she lies in a coma, on life support. Other things occupy the X-Men's time for a while, but their thoughts keep coming back to Mariko. Wolverine returns to her bedside as often as he can. Her condition remains unchanged.

Finally, he can take it no longer. He begs Jean and Xavier to do something, to save her. Xavier scans her and makes a sad discovery. She is brain dead. Only the machines are keeping her alive.

Wolverine refuses to believe it. But Jean links his mind to Mariko, and he feels the emptiness where her soul used to be. He asks to be left alone with her.

Xavier and Jean depart, to wait outside. Wolverine sits by Mariko's beside, holding her hand, stroking her hair. He rises. He looks at the machines that are maintaining her life functions. In a sudden, swift movement he pops his claws and slashes the power cables. The machines fizzle and shut down.

Outside, in the hall, Jean and X have both "felt" what has happened. They move toward the door, but Wolverine comes out before they can enter. He stands for a moment in silence, looking at them. Finally he speaks. "She ain't meat," he says softly. And in an instant, he is gone, disappearing down a stairway.

Next issue, he finds and, in the most horrifying battle the Code would allow, kills Sabretooth (who was, at this point, to be revealed as his father.)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks for sharing that, JB! Truly awesome! I wish I could've read the actual comics you had planned.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Much better than that Origin crap!...I imagine that the Death of Phoenix changed all that!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hope the readers in some parallel universe enjoyed this story as much as we all would have had it been published. Sigh.

Charles Nago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB-

It is very cool getting to know this abandoned plot, seeing the character sketch of Wolverine, and seeing the notes section.  BTW, can someone educate me on why Cory has this stuff?  If it has been explained before, I apologize, and post a link to the proper thread.

That said . . . 

JB,

Was Shooter privy to this plot and if he was, what was his reaction to it?  It seems to me that Wolverine killing Mariko, even if she was brain dead, would have been too much of a hot button isse for you guys to do.  Even now (i.e. Terry Shivo),  pulling the plug is a very controvesial issue.  Not that it isn't a great story. The Sabrtooth revenge/"Wolverine, I am your father" follow-up is how it should be.

Edited by Charles Nago on 29 August 2006 at 1:32pm

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

wow

Thanks, JB, for breaking your rule. That would have been one powerful
story.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version