The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB. Unused X-Men plots Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
King Of Pain

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The window into the creative process we're getting on this "Greatest Story
Never Told" is just . . . plain . . . astonishing. Thanks again Cory and JB!

This lost plan for the X-Men saga reminds me of another one, revealed by the producer of a well-known space fantasy.
Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is the best closet I've seen since "Time Bandits"!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A note on the "controversy" of Wolverine "pulling the plug" on Mariko. Some of you seem to be missing a rather important -- in fact, perhaps the most important -- element of the story. Situations like this out here in the real world are "controversial" because there are some people who will never be able to accept that dead is dead. "There's always a chance...!" is practically a mantra -- especially when people who have nothing to do with the case(s) stick their unwanted noses into the affair.

In the case of this story, however, we have two powerful telepaths confirming beyond a doubt that Mariko was dead, that only the machines were keeping her life-functions going. No shading. No second guessing. No "controversy".

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I liked how the story was described... and it sounds absolutely like Wolverine to pull the plug if the person in the bed is never coming back. It's an act of compassion and love to let someone go when it's their time.

Charles Nago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB-

I get the important part of the story- that dead is dead, and that two powerful telepaths confirmed it.  But that doesn't mean that the Shooter would've/did get it, or even if he did, whether Marvel at the time would've have risked telling that story with the hope that people would "get it".  I mention this knowing that  Marvel at the time was still producing comics under the auspices of the Code, and that some controversy existed after Wolverine killed the sentry in the Savage Land.  That, and knowing, anecdotally, other things Shooter pulled at the time. 

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hmmmm.

What would it take to finish the previously mentioned story in 2006 dollars (factoring in the discounts normally applied to loyal devoted fan-based group pooling of resources). I am assuming of course this would be an internet distribution and not via paper media.

Are there legal issues that would preclude such an event?

Are there reasons you would not want to back track to that particular era? (which is perfectly cool)

Again. Hmmmm.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tom Perkowitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Cory Vandernet-

Pardon the ignorance here, but who are you and how did you come by these
treasures?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Charles Nago:  I mention this knowing that  Marvel at the time was still producing comics under the auspices of the Code, and that some controversy existed after Wolverine killed the sentry in the Savage Land.  That, and knowing, anecdotally, other things Shooter pulled at the time.

Going by things I've read over the years, it didn't appear that the Jim Shooter of 1977-1983 was that bad.  It was the post-1983 Shooter that seemed to lose his grip on reality.  Or are there some late-70's instances that I'm unaware of?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Tom Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Count me in for $50.  I would love to see that story done as a commission piece.  Andrew Davey, I too miss the X-Men.

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: Question about Jean/Phoenix. And can understand if it's a "no comment." When was it decided that Jean would loose her powers?Shooter saying she had to die is pretty well documented, according to Untold Story though Jean would've gone through and lost her powers (or at least stopped being Phoenix). 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Shooter didn't say she had to die. Shooter wanted her taken to a prison asteroid to be tortured for all eternity. I said "screw that, I'd rather kill her!"

Having her lose her powers was what Chris and I planned before Shooter intervened.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Who am I?

An Introduction.

I was born at a very young age in a hospital in Calgary Alberta Canada. A handsome youth...............fast forward.............. I graduated Bowness High School in 1976. That summer I happened upon Grandpa Takes A Trip the first comic shop in Calgary. And who should be inside but a young artist by the first name John with an unpronouncable last name. Iron Fist #9 had just been released and I recognised him from his appearance in issue #8 that and in one of the letters pages in Iron Fist it was mentioned he lived in Calgary. I introduced myself, I told him I liked his stuff, learned how to say Byrne (birn), met Paul Gibney (who was employed by said establishment) and Jim Scott. Paul, Jim and I used to hang out a lot at the comic-shop and from time to time John would drop by and we would bullshit about comics. After a while Paul, Jim and I came to be known as John's Three Goons. In fact our first trip to New York and the Marvel offices Paul and Jim had T-shirts made and we drew lots, Jim became "Goon 1", Paul "Goon 2" and I of course, was "Henchman". The Three Goons appeared in X-Men #121 and Captain America #250 ( I got kicked in the head by Cap. Sweet!) Long story short, until 1980 when John got hitched and moved to the States, I was able to learn some of the inner workings of Comics, got one of JB's old sketchbooks and became a copyrighted Marvel character.

Enough about me.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version