Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: The Hellfire Club (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2006 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm curious.  How much of the original Hellfire Club did you create?  With all the current retcon on various members like Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost, do you feel the current renditions of the characters in line with their original concept?  Was there an original plan for the characters beyond the Dark Phoenix Saga, or were they one shot ideas at the time they were created? 

Emma Frost was always a favorite character of mine as the White Queen.  In all the Marvel Handbook entries, they never mention ages, was there any specific age you envisioned her at when she was created?  Was there any unofficial ages for the characters Sebastian Shaw or Emma Frost?

Thank you for your time, and any thought you may give the questions.

Celeste M.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 2  

I haven't paid much attention to what's been done with the HC since I left UNCANNY. I find that is generally the best direction, with characters I've created or, as in this case, co-created.

There was, of course, a real Hellfire Club back in the 1700s, tho I know very little about it beyond the name and Benjamin Franklin having been a member. The "inspiration" for the fictional one Chris and I worked with came mostly from TV's "Avengers", and episode titled "A Touch of Brimstone". That also featured actor Peter Wyngard, who served as the model for Jason Wyngard/Mastermind. (The "Jason" came from a later series he starred in, "Jason King", which was itself spun off from an "Avengers" wannabe called "Department S".)

Didn't give any thought at all to the ages of the characters, beyond the generic who's older/who's younger.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 3  

I always thought Sebastian Shaw had the coolest power.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Elliot Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4  

I really hate what they've done with the White Queen.  I hate seeing her as an X-Man and I really hate her romance with Scott.  It's probably the main thing that keeps me from enjoying Astonishing X-Men, I just can't get past the White Queen as an X-Man.  I like the idea of reformed villians joining the X-Men, but she doesn't seem reformed.  She seems like the same cold, calculating bitch she's always been (not Scott's type at all). 

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5  

What ..the White Queen and... Scott?

...man I'm glad not to reading that. I gave up shortly after all the X-Titles got so out of control. I could handle the New Mutants (bad name) but after that....forget it. Just a few random titles here and there if I liked the writer and/or artist. (followed Hidden Years of course).

And yeah, Shaw really did have a cool power, as did the rest of the inner circle.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 6  

Edit: already asked.

Edited by Andrew Davey on 06 September 2006 at 8:39am

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
I really hate what they've done with the White Queen.  I hate seeing her as an X-Man and I really hate her romance with Scott.  It's probably the main thing that keeps me from enjoying Astonishing X-Men, I just can't get past the White Queen as an X-Man.  I like the idea of reformed villians joining the X-Men, but she doesn't seem reformed.  She seems like the same cold, calculating bitch she's always been (not Scott's type at all). 

I take it, then, you've not read the latest Astonishing?

Without giving anything away, I'll just say that I echo Kitty's closing sentiment.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 8  

(The White Queen) seems like the same cold, calculating bitch she's always been (not Scott's type at all).

But very much the "type" of far too many fans and pros alike.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

I did like it when Joss Whedon had Kitty, returning to the X-Men after being gone awhile, confront the White Queen. She said something like "The first memory I have of you is torturing me and the rest of the X-Men."

I though, "YES! I've been thinking the same thing ever since the White Queen became a 'good guy'!"

Sadly, the White Queen's reversal (which never seemed genuine to me), can be laid at Chris Claremont's feet. When he introduced The Hellions, her own students at her Academy, it seems the direction was set to make her a more sympathetic character. She was made out to be too caring, in my opinion, of the team. It might have made her more "dimensional," but weakened her as a villain.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

I am not currently reading Astonishing X-men - I read the first 12 issues and bought the hardcover, and just decided to wait for the hardcover altogether for 13-24 because it's bimonthly anyway.

That having been said - Emma is telepathic people. Scott can be with her for, let's just say, less than genuine reasons.

Oh, and Matt - I love Kitty's follow-up to that line better. "I don't need to keep an eye on you, I can smell you!" Whedon, I think, has been setting up a Kitty v Emma fight from the start, and I can't wait to read it next year.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

My personal favorite Kitty v. Emma line in Astonishing is Kitty's incredulity at Emma teaching ethics.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Unfortunately, however clever these lines may be, they depend on readers being familiar with stories and issues that were published twenty six years ago. When the first issue of X-MEN (not yet UNCANNY) was published in 1964, most superhero comics hadn't even been around for 26 years. Only SUPERMAN made it onto that list -- and just barely.

I'm trying to imagine what my reaction would have been if I had read my first Superman story, and found therein an exchange between, say, Lois and Clark, that would only have made full and clear sense had I read the very first story back in ACTION COMICS 1.

However good the writing may be, this is the kind of stuff that's killed comics -- what Julie Schwartz called "the Archeologists".

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version