Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: A drawing question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

As an amature artist, I struggle getting proportions between characters correct. I've been thinking about making boxes representing characters in the layout stage, and then making the characters fill that box. This way I can make sure that charcter x is bulkier than character y, and so on...

I usually start with a "wire frame" like John Buscema showed in the "How to Draw the Marvel Way" book, but for some reason I can't really get the height, or mass right using this method. I dunno why. I hope you can follow what I mean.

Do you have any guidlines or advice that would help?

Thanks.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

As I said in response to Thomas Moudry's art question, in the end it all comes down to practise. The old line about everybody haveing 10,000 bad drawings in them, so you should draw and draw and draw and draw until you get them out.

On the building of the figure -- the wire frame works fine for some. I prefer the "balloon" method. There is no right way -- but there sure are a whole passle of wrong ways! Find what works for you -- even if it means making up your own! (The idea of the boxes sounds good, as long as you don't become dependent on it. The object of the exercise, after all, is to get rid of the training wheels!)

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way was my introduction to a lot of the art techniques I still use today.  What an eye-opening experience studying this book was (found out you use a brush for inking, f'rinstance).

John Buscema's art lessons were simple, yet amazing.  Over the years, I found myself developing a combination of the stick figure, balloon, and scribble methods that John showed in the book (like JB said above, find what works for you!).  It's still one of the books I pull off the shelf the most when I have a question about art.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

I recommend that book just about every time I'm asked. It's so good as a how to DRAW book, beyond being how to draw comics.

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

It was the first drawing book I ever got as a kid, and it's still the most useful one in my whole collection of books on the subject. It covers all the basics, and is never pedantic or dull (as I've found many other books are). Also, Stan's text is genuinely encouraging, which I like.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version