The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Shulkie

Yuck, She-Hulk is more suited for a cutesy nickname than most other super-heroes, but that one just sounds so awkward.
Back to Top profile | search

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 2  

Jonathan, reread my post and tell me where I defend the behaviour? Where did I say I agreed or disagreed with the sentiments? Quote the relevant text if necessary.

I neither defended nor condones, merely pointed out that there WAS a reason given.  If you cannot be bothered to reread from a few posts back, my exact words were:

"Whether you disagree with it or not, there was a VERY apparent reason given."

Rereading the thread in question, you would see the reason given involved the treatment fo a child. Again, whether you agree with the reasoning of not, the reason still exists. Is pointing out it exists deplorable behaviour or defending it?

Let's try this experiment:

You: "That Marrina sure was evil. And man, she attacked Puck and Alpha Flight for no reason."

Me: "Well, if I recall, didn't she attack Puck because of her genetic coding as an alien? Didn't the Master of the World trigger that attack?"

If you look at my reply, I didn't even address the rightness or wrongness - I just explained there was a reason. Even if the reasons I gave were wrong (it's been a while since I read that issue).

I'd apologize for overstating my point but after you missing it last time I wanted to be sure I was not misunderstood again.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 3  

Jonathan Thezler: It's being stated that giving fictional characters nicknames is not on, but on the other hand, let's slather real people for no apparent reason.

That thread was weeks ago.  If it still bothers you so much, why do you keep coming here?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 4  

When I refer to a character by their nicknames, I'm doing so out of a fondness for that character and not disrespectfully.  Kind of like how I often address my friends with nicknames.  After all, I grew up with most of these characters.  Then again, it's been awhile since I've seen the real Cap, Spidey or Shell-Head in a comics.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 5  

JB, I've noticed you refer to Captain America as Cap before.  What's the distinction there?

"Cap" is traditional military parlance for someone holding the rank of Captain. If he was General America, and folk insisted on calling him "Genny", that would be another matter!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 6  

Yeah, a lot of the nicknames originated in the books themselves.

"Supes" and "Bats" and the rest of the abbreviated forms did not originate in the books themselves. That may be where you first saw them, but they had their beginnings in the scripts of writers trying to shave a few seconds off their typing time. Evenually, they "slopped over" into the character dialog -- sometimes, as with the previously mentione "WW" for Wonder Woman -- to absurd effect.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 7  

I think "Spidey" is a worthy exception as well, because the character will refer to himself that way.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 8  

There are several exceptions. "Spidey" is most definitely one, tho I personally prefer not to use it. It takes scarcely a heartbeat to give the character his full due and type "Spider-Man".

"Cyke" is acceptable for Cyclops, since the other X-Men call him that. "DD" is obviously acceptable for Daredevil, as are such variants as "Torchie" for the Human Torch, or "Shulkie" for She-Hulk --- tho most of these are preferably used by the characters, when addressing each other.

But at the other end -- can you imagine anyone this side of the Thing or a particularly cocky Iceman calling Magneto "Maggie"? Can you really imagine someone feeling chummy enough with Batman to call him "Bats"? The Joker might use that term, but I doubt any of the other heroes would.

The nicknames are also another matter -- "Shell-Head". "High-Pockets", "Wall-Crawler", etc. But again, these are terms the characters properly use addressing each other.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB:

Can you really imagine someone feeling chummy enough with Batman to call him "Bats"? The Joker might use that term, but I doubt any of the other heroes would.

I remember an early-80s BRAVE & BOLD by Alan Brennert, which touched on this. The co-star was the Creeper, and he used 'Bats' quite a bit in the first few pages. When Batman had finallyhad enough and  told him 'Don't call me Bats!', Creeper responded, 'Oh, sure, no problem, B.M.'   After a few pages, and several more 'B.M's, Batman asked, 'Creeper? Could you go back to 'Bats'? '

I think Bob Haney was responsible for most uses of 'Bats' in the old days, especially coming from characters like Metamorpho in other old B & B team-ups.

John Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think the nicknames fit Marvel characters much more than DC and I think it goes back to when they came out. Marvel was much more the subversive underdogs - Spider-Man is Marvel's Bugs Bunny. The heroes had more youth and more personality. It's a lot more natural for the Human Torch to dog Iron Man than for Martian Manhunter to make fun of Superman.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

The thing with "Bats" is that it often seems to be used by characters trying to annoy or joke around with Batman.  It's not really used as a friendly nickname.

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah, I know that's the way I feel when I say/type "Bats".  I want to annoy him, or maybe it's that I loathe myself and the characters.  Or it could just be in fun.  Comics are fun, right?

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version