Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet bronken the spell? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Just remember the days we could not talk to our favorite comic-book artists...and think about it.

How much has the internet comunication on almost a daily basis with the artists we admire changed the way some people think about them these days?

Has the fact we can talk to them broken the spell?

In the old days the only things we could get from them were the comics they were working on.

Does anyone consider his/her comic-book artists smaller now you can let them know what you think about their work with just a post in their forums?

...In my case, I'm still amazed I can do that!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't consider the writers and artiss smaller in any way. And I am very grateful for the time that they share with us fans.

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

it can neverbreak the spell for talking to john byrne. this is a man who has shown us the way for living an who makes the art that will survive centuries. he knows about how to make comics that the bad people now never can know which is why so may of the comics are sucking bad. every day i come here i cannot I AM TALKING TO THE JOHN BYRNE!! WOW WHO CAN BELIEVE THIS? i know he is smiling when he teaches us.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

The only thing I think the Internet has ruined is that we get so much information in advance and it's everywhere.  Way to many spoilers.

When something big occured in the past - like the death of Jean Grey or Captain Marvel, or the Secret Wars - you didn't know every little detail like it seems we do now.

When I was a kid reading Steve Englehart's Avengers and Captain America I used to woder what was coming next - Will Mantis break up the Vision and Scarlet Witch?  How long will Cap stay as Nomad?  Who's the Celestial Madonna going to be?  How is this replacement Cap, Roscoe, going to work out?

Every week's trip to the convenience store to pick up comics was exciting because you didn't know what to expect.

Not anymore.

And yet, I still look at the previews......

Cesar Madarro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, I'll always say "thank you" for having Mr Byrne around.

Edited by Cesar Madarro on 29 October 2006 at 5:52pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Has the fact we can talk to them broken the spell?"

Yes, especially in poorly written stories, where you can match the known personality of a writer to the off-tone behavior of a character. I don't believe the really well written stories suffer from this, though.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

This seems like a good time to jump in and say....if it ain't bronk, don't fix it!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Yes, especially in poorly written stories, where you can match the known personality of a writer to the off-tone behavior of a character.

I agree. There are one or two comic book writers whose work I can no longer read without 'hearing' their internet rants in the mouths of the characters.

I do disagree that the Internet has ruined surprise in comics (or elsewhere). I check half a dozen boards and yet, every week, I'm suprised by what is happening in 52. Neither Identity Crisis nor Infinite Crisis were spoiled for me and I just read Seven Soldiers #1, again, with any surprise intact.

Yes, there are a few idiots who like to spoil things in a way that can't be avoided. But by far when some surprise is spoiled the fault lies with ourselves. If I'm spoled by the Prestige thread in the Movies forum, clearly labeled of containing spoilers, I have no one to blame but me.

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
This seems like a good time to jump in and say....if it ain't bronk, don't fix it!

Is that from the Baronque period?

Edited by Kurt Anderson on 30 October 2006 at 9:45am

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

I miss finding out what was on the cover of each month's comic when I found it on the spinner rack.

Dan Leonard
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Internet has definitely ruined a lot of surprises for me, but all of them were my fault... except for Snape killing Dumbledore.  That one came out of nowhere.

Also, when I clicked on this topic, I was expecting a rant on how spell check has 'bronken teh abillitay to spell'.

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

The internet has indeed turned the comic book world into a spolier-besotted mine field.  That's unfortunate, since surprise is a powerful storytelling tool.

That said, I continue to be amazed that I now have the ability to interact with the people who create the comics that I love.  Maybe that's the trade-off.  We lose the element of surprise, but we get to ask John Byrne (as an example) a direct question, and get an answer in less than 24 hours, in most cases.

I'm pretty sure I can live with that arrangement.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version