Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: OT, nice version of the Hulk (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

for those in NY, this might be of interest

Michael Golden Hangs (and Draws) at M-Gallery! Opening Party November 17th!
Raffles! Silent Auction! Vodka Tasting! And, Michael Golden!

Manhattan’s
M-Gallery is pleased to announce a special Michael Golden art show and sale to take place at this boutique West Village hot spot November 14-20, which a show reception scheduled for Friday November 17th from 7:30 to 10:30.

Creator of X-men’s Rogue, Golden is lauded for his detail oriented rendering on "The 'Nam," "Micronauts,"  "G.I. Joe," "Dr. Strange, " and much, much more. With new work currently hitting on “Iron Man” for Marvel, along with “Nightwing” and “Batman” covers for DC Comics, and a plethora of work from Wildstorm, Image and Dynamite Entertainment, among others, not to mention a piece in the Robert Kirkman’s upcoming “Ultimates Handbook.”

Golden fans could
not be happier, and neither could M-Gallery, who has produced boutique shows for some of the New York art communities top up and comers and celebrated talents. “We are so pleased to have Mr. Golden’s revolutionary work featured in our showroom,” said Gallery owner Bo Offenbaker. “Already, just from word of mouth, the response has been tremendous. The marriage of pop art and fine art, with that indefinable style is universally appealing.”

Milestones in Golden's career include work on practically every character in the comics lexicon, as well as the creation of "Bucky O'Hare" with Larry Hama.  “Bucky” has just been optioned for a movie via Continuity Studios, while Vanguard Productions is currently planning a Manga volume of the series to be released later this year. Eva Ink will put out the signed edition.

The
M-Gallery event will feature over 15 large canvas giclees of iconic Golden images, which will be available for acquisition. Michael will be autographing and remarking each piece at the event. In addition, rare pieces of original art will also be on display. Those attending will have the opportunity to enter raffles, a vodka tasting, and silent auctions for Golden and Eva Ink merchandise, including books, statues and portfolios. Mr. Golden will also be sketching at the event.

The opening night, of course, coincides with the Big Apple’s tremendous National Show, taking place at the Penn Plaza Pavilion Nov. 17-19th. The
M-Gallery Golden opening is Friday, November 17th from 7:30-10:30. M-Gallery is located at:  242 W. 10th St. between Hudson and Bleeker. 212-336-3563. Admission is $6. at the door, while those with Big Apple badges are $5. A special Sunday night event will also be announced.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

Golden is doing Iron man work?
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

<<i really like that hes not ridiculously muscled and covered in popping
veins.>>

Guess you weren't a big fan of those Joe Jusko HULK magazine covers
from the 1970s!

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

<<I really enjoy the 'underpants' Kirby-esque Hulk. >>

I like a Kirby-esque Hulk. But he's gotta have the ripped pants, as far as
I'm concerned.

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Golden on Iron Man (not just covers!) would make me forgive M****L for The Crossing AND Civil War. Please let this be true!

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

It amazing how difficult a time the military has had over the many years locating Banner or the Hulk.  Put out an APB for a white dude in purple pants.  How hard would that be to find?

Ray Dyas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Here's another Golden version of the Hulk.

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

I believe I read Golden is just going to be doing some cover work for Iron Man,

Ray Dyas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

....and a 1981 Marvel Calender version.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

I wouldn't have pegged the first Hulk image as Golden either. It's not what I'm used to from Golden, but it's gorgeous just the same. The last published Golden work I saw were some covers for a mini-series called Ocean. I look forward to seeing this Iron Man work. Covers or otherwise (hint-hint).

Ray Dyas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

I read somewhere on-line awhile back that Golden was to do a variant cover for Wildstorm's first issue of the Midnighter comic that I believe came out this month. Has anyone seen this cover art if he in fact did do it?

Edited by Ray Dyas on 09 November 2006 at 3:11pm

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

It's funny because the first image screams Golden to me.  The faces of the onlookers, the fairly recognizable hatching, the thick, solid ankles - even the Hulk's eyes.  It obviously bears the marks of his later work as opposed to his earlier, but I still knew it was Golden the minute I saw it.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version