Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: JBF Reading Club: Namor #3 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 1  

Having just read these Namor issues for the first time last year, it's fun to see these threads, because the stories are still fresh in my memory. I walked away from comics right around the time JB started on this title, and missed it the first time around. It's a great series.

I would like to point out the use of stars where the guy falls in panel 1, page 27. I remember some people complaining about the use of those stars on JB's recent Action Comics run, yet they were used extensively/consistently throughout his Namor run. Which seems to be universally accepted as some of his "best work."

I had the feeling people thought they were a new device that he was employing (new to JB), when they have actually been in his work throughout the past 15-20 years.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks for putting these up, Trevor.  Brings back a lot of memories.
Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 3  

My pleasure, John. Namor is a great series so I was happy to do this every week. 

Arnold Webster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 4  

Damn, that's some good looking shit right there. REAL nice.

You know, I never got around to reading this series. I don't remember, I think I was all with this chick at the time, slacked off on my comics. Missed some good stuff. Can you find this stuff in dollar boxes? That art is GREAT. I'd like to see more.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Arnold I ordered issues 1-33 (JB's run + one as Dave Phelps had noted that issue 33 actually ended a storyline, though not finished by JB) from http://www.milehighcomics.com for about $1.00–$1.20 for NearMint condition. Now a lot of the prices were discounted on account of a sale, that may still be on-going, and I can of course not vouch for the availability any longer, but you may want to check it out.
My experience with Mile High Comics is really good btw, so I don't feel bad about recommending them.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 6  

David Whiteley wrote:
"You know what we don't see enough of in comics? Scenes like the disembodied head of Namor explaining something. It seems many artists just want to try and achieve a realistic look by avoiding such visuals."

Sorry, missed this earlier as I didn't see any posts between Trevor's and mine when I posted my first... any road, the tongue in cheek reply to the reason for this (and winking an eye towards another recent thread) would be to say that there aren't many floating heads to copy from existing photage, of course. ;)
It's a good way of using the medium though.

Arnold Webster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 7  

Thanks, Joakim. I'll give Mile High a try.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 8  

You're welcome, Arnold. I recognised the same need I had recently felt... or still feel since shipment from the States to Sweden is taking forever... well not really, but I'm impatient, ok? ;)

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 9  

How i love this serie. Namor wasa something else. I almost have all the run, but if they were reprinted in "Essential" format, i would buy it. "Namor" would look so great in black & white, as OMAC does.

I love how Namor is so "Royal" that the ground does not deserve him, and he does not touch ground...he flies standing up!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 10  

Pulled out my Namor run so that I could "read along" with these weekly columns.
I love that shot of the Roxxon Tower - I even felt a little lurch of vertigo as my eyes ran down it!

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 11  

When I read through the Namor run last month that moment of him confronting the Roxxon board stood out as spot on perfect Namor characterization. He is definitely the type to tackle something head on. If you want him come and get him. I also liked the sheer comedy moment of The Griffin being left behind. Great issue.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version