Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: The Final Nail in the Coffin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Can there be any hope for Marvel? Will someone right the ship? Does one
statue spell the end? I hope not.

edit: I just saw the P.O.S. in question...you might be right.

Edited by Sean Hollenhors on 19 November 2006 at 5:46pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

" I just don't get how this single ugly figure (out of all of the different ones that have been produced over the years) is the signal that Marvel is finally dead."

JB is talking about a final nail, not the only nail.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Trouble is, they keep finding new nails. That'll be one nail-encrusted coffin by the time Joey Q and his merry men are finished.
Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was trying not to even bother looking at the thing on the Monsters in Motion site, but my curiosity just got the best of me. Not only is the idea all wrong, but its just a crappy piece of work. Even the mask is all wrong...or is that an Ultimate version or something? And the face underneath doesn't look like a burned or disfigured human face. It looks like something from a zombie movie. I don't want to know what Doom's face looks like, but if i were to imagine it, it certainly wouldn't look anything like that hideous thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

To me that is the key Aaron. We have to use our imagination. Each of us has an idea about what Dr. Doom looks like under that mask. I like that. I enjoyed that out of Marvel when I was reading their stuff. It gave the fans something to discuss. The same applies to Wolverines origin. I like it when we are kept in the dark. Sometimes things are better left alone. Again I enjoy the mystery more than an answer. As for this statue I don't even want to see it. Don't even plan on it.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

I agree, Michael, that the same applies to Wolverine. Knowing that his name is Logan and seeing the occasional hint at his past was always enough for me.

There seems to be an epidemic among a lot of today's writers, of what I am starting to call Final Syndrome. By this I mean that they tend to act like they will be the final writer of whatever it is they are writing, so they try to go ahead and strip away whatever it is that makes the serialized nature of superheroes continue. Apparently, they just can't resist revealing Wolverine's entire history or unmasking Spider-Man or in this case of a sculpture instead of a piece of writing, showing Doom's face. If you ask me, its greed and arrogance on the part of the writers, and irresponsibility on the part of the editors. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Aaron, I agree. Part of the reason Wolverine 'worked' as a character, was that he was a 'man of mystery'. Laying it all out on the table (the whole James Howlett fiasco) just guts the whole character. Why did we need to know? I think Doom's face should've remained a mystery.

I can recall seeing a drawing by Jack Kirby, where he showed Doom's face, and there was just a tiny scar on his cheek - the 'disfigurement' was all in Doom's mind. Even this, though, is going too far in my view. Sometimes, it's best not to pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

If they were smart, when you take off Doom's Mask there would be a cartoonish grinning Stan Lee face under there...

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

If there's money to be made, anyway, anyhow, nothing is sacred.
Capitalism has no respect for teary-eyed notions of 'magic' or
'tradition.'

Sucks, don't it? Yeah, it does . . .

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'd love to buy one of these figures and remove the mask only to find that it's a Doombot.

They should do that with all of the figures except for one.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

Okay I gotta admit after going through this thread now I want to see a Marvel coffin. Care to favor us with a depiction, JB?

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DO THINGS LIKE THIS. SO MANY TIMES IN THE PAST MANY COMICS MADE ME BE GLAD TO BE ALIVE LIKE WHEN MR BYRNES COMICS WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY. THIS JUST MAKES ME SO ANGRY THAT I WISH I WAS NOT LIVING ANYMORE TO SEE IT HAPPEN! I HATE IT AND DO NOT WANT TO SEE IT! i am sorry for so much anger but it is the final nail in the coffin to me and now marvel is dead.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version