Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Renamed: Archie’s story/JB’s Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2006 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

I just read JB's Wolverine run for the first time (in its entirety) and I must say I'm impressed!  I've always felt Wolverine is a difficult character to write in solo form as he's not the typical leading hero type -- at times he's not very sympathetic and his persona doesn't lend itself easily to carrying a story by himself...  (at least for my taste!).

But JB nailed it!  I mean this story arc is almost twenty years old but it holds up as well as JB's Namor!  It's got fresh exciting villains (Spore, Geist and Caridad)and great supporting characters (Sister Salvation, La Bandera) and takes a fairly one-dimensional character and totally redeems him (Roughhouse).  All this and a cool appearance by Tiger Shark and a backstory that involves Kirby's Celestials, Eternals and Deviants!  To quote an expression that would have been "in" at the time of its original publication: "Excellent!"

Now I do have a question or two for JB:

1a. Was your stay on Wolverine always intended to be 7 issues or were you planning a longer run? 

1b. If you were planning to be on the title longer, would you care to share any memories you still have about possible story ideas?  (Okay, I know you seldom give out this info but I had to ask!) 

2. Did/do you feel that solo Wolverine stories work best if you can give him a good supporting cast (in this case, La Bandera, Roughouse and Sister Salvation)?  (Sorry if I'm doing any mind-reading here but I see some similarities between your takes on Wolverine and Namor -- both are headstrong, arrogant, and maybe not the brightest of protagonists to carry a series on their own shoulders -- I think you stated at some point that that is why you felt the need to give Namor such great supporting characters: the Alexanders, Namorita, Colleen and Misty)?

A Question for Wolverine fans:

3. Did Roughouse ever appear again after JB's run redeemed him into a "good guy"?  If so, did he keep any of JB's changes?

Edited by Jeremy Boyd on 24 November 2006 at 12:50pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 2  

First up, it was Archie Goodwin who wrote those issues. I just did the art -- and only breakdowns at that.

I was on the book only for the chance to work with Archie, who I considered one of the best writers in the Biz, and neither of us planned to stay beyond that story arc.

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 3  

well that's what I get for not even looking at the credits!  Thanks for the response though...

Most of my compliments toward the story can be salvaged -- so, Archie nailed it!  Way to go Archie!!

Edited by Jeremy Boyd on 24 November 2006 at 7:51am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 4  

But JB nailed it!  I mean this story arc is almost twenty years old but it holds up as well as JB's Namor!

Er...JB's Namor debuted in April 1990...his Wolverine run began in November '89 so they were essentially contemporaries.

I have fond memories of those first two or three years of Wolverine's solo series...I should go back and read them again.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 5  

Loved AG's and JB's work on Wolverine. Great stuff.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 6  

I had forgot about that arc.  I think it's time for me to break those issues out of my archives and read them again.

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 7  

nobody did a wolverine like mr byrbe did! he had so much menacing in his eyes he was a real terror! is it too bad simone.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 8  

I've got to say that I thought Wolverine actually hit it off after the departure of Chris Claremont. Peter David, Archie Goodwin and Larry Hama really did some great work on that series.

The art by the likes of John Buscema, JB and Marc Silvestri didn't hurt either.

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Joe Hollon wrote:

Er...JB's Namor debuted in April 1990...his Wolverine run began in November '89 so they were essentially contemporaries.

That's what I meant Joe -- both Namor and the Wolverine story arc with Archie are almost 18 years old now and they both stand up great...  Personally I think both these runs (okay so seven issues with Archie doing the writing could hardly be classed a "run" but... )hold up better than much of the stuff JB did at DC (including Superman -- just my opinion).

Maybe JB didn't have anything to do with the Wolverine story (and my bad for not realizing that when I started this thread) but Archie really did a great job -- now I'm looking forward to reading Archie's classic Star Wars stories I picked up on the cheap at the local used bookstore yesterday along with the Wolverine issues.

What's the word on Roughouse folks?  Anyone tell me if this was the last time he appeared in the Marvel Universe before I go google him?

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Great story!

I just sold this TPB and mailed it out today... to a Canadian!

Along with JB's Avengers West Coast TPB.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

the title of this thread is making me think of a gag strip i saw somewhere of an Archie/Wolverine team up, where Wolverine is hanging all over Midge, while Archie & Jughead gawk at the mostly off-screen but clearly mutilated Moose on the ground.  ::shudder::

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2006 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

You know, Wolverine isn't a character I would have thought of as a match for Archie Goodwin, but the stories came out wonderful.  A testament to Archie's skills as a writer, no doubt.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version