Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 47 Next >>
Topic: Everything You Know is a Lie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 1  

Actually, James, I would even venture to go as far as saying, if the writer doesn't care for "his" characters he should move along and writing something else... He'll probably enjoy it more, and it's more respectful to the readers who might very well care.

Simply put and following one of JB's oft-quoted rules of thumb (originally handed him down from Stan Lee) about writing stories ABOUT specific characters rather than writing a story and throw the character into it, the writer needs to appreciate and care about the character at least to the degree that he/she can find and/or coax forth the stories that grow out of the characters. As opposed to pushing existing characters into STORIES that the WRITER wants to tell and leaving the readers wondering whatever happened to the character and what the heck that character is doing in that setting.

In that sense, I think the best occasions of "Everything You Know is a Lie" (I refuse the Deviant acronym) are made by good writers who care about the characters, as opposed to people who is just trying their damnedest to leave a "significant" mark.

My penny.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2  

Andy wrote: ...Should he solve the Gay Alien Vampire Robot problem, or just assume that (a) almost nobody knows about that stuff, and more importantly (b) nobody cares?

What I see as mistakes, are mostly the opposite, like when a totally nonsense episode with the the Spider-Man Clone, was brought up again in a never-ending Saga that was supposed to be as impressive as The Death of Superman, and the truth is nobody cared about the clone. It's important to spot what's part of the character's mythology and what's not. That he lost his love interest Gwen Stacy is, but that he once changed his name to Peter Palmer is not or even met a clone in the 70's is not either, it's just a 70's funny comic.

But what's more important here, I have noticed, by writing some comics myself, is that the people who lied, for example in the story about Aunt May's death, are from now on just liars. They don't need a speech baloon anymore, to me they can just write LIES all over it. What's sad about Spider-Man and even Superman after Birtright is that the writers can themselves become such liars. Who cares about reading another first Superman confrontation with a new villain if the already have "met" in Smallville? Or who will believe it, if Aunt May or Mary Jane dies in the next issue of Spider-Man, raise a hand.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't see BIRTHRIGHT as a EYKIAL or a reboot (never cared about the whole "SUPERMAN 200 changed the continuity" story), but only as a way to relaunch the character re-telling his origin for a new generation of readers (a new generation who I don't see anywhere).

The one true EYKIAL was "Return to Krypton", which restored the classic Krypton for the post-Crisis continuity... But something didn't work, because one year later or so "Return to Krypton II" erased it all ("It's all Brainiac's fault!").

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 4  

<<Time was altered by the events of Superman 200 and a new timeline -- the Birthright timeline -- resulted.>>

Didn't know that. I was long gone by the time Superman 200 came out, so I had no idea it was a "catalyst" for BIRTHRIGHT. I thought BIRTHRIGHT just kind of happened on its own.

Maybe I'll try to track down a copy and see how it ties in.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Anthony Llossas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 5  

Lazily and badly, Glenn.  Lazily and badly.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 6  

I never considered Birthright a reboot because none of the Superman titles officially "started over" after the conclusion of the maxi series.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 7  

Superman 300 from 1976 was a very cool modern upating or Superman's origin... It was a "What If" story but really cool all the same.... I like stories like that but they are in and out type stories that are for fun and not destructive

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 8  

Glenn, the ending of SUPERMAN 200 should explain how to fit BIRTHRIGHT in the post-Crisis continuity, but it was so confusing and useless that I never cared for the explanation. In these cases my rule is "It's a comic book. No need for explicative cosmic events". Notice how, at least until the OYL, the post-Crisis continuity wasn't heavily touched by BIRTHRIGHT (excluded the Kryptonain look and some other graphic particular).

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 9  

I seem to recall a panel in one of the Superman books post-Birthright that took place in the Fortress that had Superman and (maybe) Batman commenting on how the statues of his parents changed from looking like MoS Kryptonians to looking like Birthright Kryptonians.  I may be remembering incorrectly though.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 10  

I think at this point, the explanation is Superboy Prime's continuity punches. There were a few issues of the Superman titles where Superman had conflicting memories of his Silver Age, Man of Steel, and Birthright origins. Whatever DC first intended with Birthright, it eventually got tied into Infinite Crisis.

It's not worth getting Superman 200. I think the issue had less to do with Birthright and more with wrapping up the Cir-El storyline. I did not like that character at all.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 08 December 2006 at 10:11am

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

<<I seem to recall a panel in one of the Superman books post-Birthright that took place in the Fortress that had Superman and (maybe) Batman commenting on how the statues of his parents changed from looking like MoS Kryptonians to looking like Birthright Kryptonians. I may be remembering incorrectly though.>>

You're remembering correctly. I believe it was in SUPERMAN/BATMAN, during the reintroduction of Supergirl.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

Glenn, that's the one!  Thanks.

<< Prev Page of 47 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version