Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: interesting article on Batman’s outfit (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

http://www.louanders.com/2005_08_01_archive.html

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

Shiney!

Back to Top profile | search

Gregory Dickens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can't worry about the credibility of Batman's armor when he's standing next to a flying alien and fighting a crocodile man. But I agree the movies could give us the gray costume for a training sequence, at least.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nice suit, but yeah, it could do with being less sparkly and reflective, and the utility belt could be darker and less in-your-face.  Does show that a reasonably fit guy can look good in a cloth based outfit though much like in Batman: Dead End

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

I absolutely agree with the idea of a detachable cape. Is it really logical for Batman to get into a "duel"-like situation with a noted and dangerous villain, a situation where the cape serves no purpose as it originally is designed to scare the jesus out of people and submerge Batman in darkness for effect (and even with a martial art incorporating the cape, something along the lines of the way Chinese soldiers of the Ming era used those little red feathers on the ends of their spears to distract and confuse an opponent, the cape doesn't have much use in a situation where Batman is forced "into the light" to fight hand to hand, man to man, against Ras Ghul or Two-Face or Killer Croc), when Batman should simply remove the cape and get down to serious business.

Again, we're not talking about all close-quarters fighting, but a scenario in which Batman's stealth and guerilla tactics are negated. A "gladiator" situation.

Laugh if you will, but Adam West is still the best, and most functional, Batman that's made it to the screen, in terms of West's presentation of the character, in my view; West's persona was serious enough but not above the laconic humor JB has instilled in the character which connects him to being a superhero in COMICS and not a ninja psychotic, and also in terms of his, West's, presentation of Batman's ability to move, run, fight, leap, and whatever else he needs to do without looking like a clunky robot in a 60s Japanese Kaiju Eiga movie.

All the films have included one glaring fault (shared by the CGI Spider-Man in Raimi's films) and that is I don't buy it. I don't accept the armor, and I don't accept the CGI Spider-Man. And I love BATMAN BEGINS, but Nolan shot every fight scene with Batman in armor from somewhere up Batman's ass, so the terrible effect of a stuntman in a clumsy heavy suit could not be revealed.

For god's sake, why is it so hard to just use the above body suit and say, "It's Teflon-based, so it offers some protection," but still allows us to experience the kind of serious psychological need for death that Batman has that makes him fight heavily-armed criminals without a gun, that a gun killed his parents and is a symbol of righteous anger that he refuses to use himself.

I don't want to think of Batman having bullets bouncing off his "armor". I want him standing in the shadow while someone shoots where they think he is. And he waits. Just waits.

That's Batman.

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

Chad Carter wrote:
Laugh if you will, but Adam West is still the best, and most functional, Batman that's made it to the screen, in terms of West's presentation of the character, in my view;

Bwahahahaha!

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

Dark outfit + bright yellow utility belt = doesn't add up.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Rance".

Bwahahahahaha.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

These guys did a pretty good job with the gray suit, but you gotta make sure your guy can fill out the suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSxe8E4HRHE
Back to Top profile | search | www

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 10  

The movie costumes are too clunky, and the Adam West one was silly looking (even without West's doughy frame filling it out).  Sandy Collora's costume from the Batman: Dead End film, posted above, always struck me as a perfect representation of what the Batman outfit should look like in real life.  Christopher Nowlan should take note.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 11  

The movie costumes are too clunky, and the Adam West one was silly looking (even without West's doughy frame filling it out). 

I think it's a bit of an urban myth that West was "doughy." He was in pretty good shape. The whole idea of his having a "pot belly" might have stemmed from the MAD Magazine parody. And of course keep in mind that the belt would make Nicole Richie look tubby.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 12  

I think it's a bit of an urban myth that West was "doughy." He was in pretty good shape. The whole idea of his having a "pot belly" might have stemmed from the MAD Magazine parody. And of course keep in mind that the belt would make Nicole Richie look tubby.

-----------------------------------

I didn't say he had a "pot belly."  I said he was doughy.  Doughy = lacking in definition.  The longer the show was on the air, the less of a heroic figure West seem to cut in in the suit.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version