Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Gregg Allinson (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sorry to read about this. Best to Gregg's family and friends.
Back to Top profile | search

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm sorry to hear about this. Greg's friendly demeanor in this forum was always a welcoming sight for someone who posts as sporadically as myself. He will be missed.

Edited by Rod Collins on 22 December 2006 at 3:19pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

My deepest condolences to all of Gregg's family and friends. Sorry to say that I never got to meet him in person, but he was always very courteous and articulate anytime I encountered him on this forum.    

Edited by Andrew W. Farago on 22 December 2006 at 3:36pm
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

I am really sorry, and stunned, to hear this. My condolences to his family.

F.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd like to extend my condolences to Gregg's family and friends as well.  His contributions here are fondly remembered by so many that I can't even begin to imagine the impact he must have had on his "real world" acquaintances.  R. I. P.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

This is really heartbreaking. I loved reading his thoughts and always enjoyed his upbeat, entertaining posts and appreciated his respect and thoughtfulness to others on the board. A true tragedy.

Charles Tyus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

I can't believe it.  I'm so sorry to hear about this.  RIP

Scottland Downs
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

Unbelieveable. I remember talking with him in chat. Gregg seemed like a really good guy! Yes at 29 he was much too you to pass. My heart goes out to the Allinson family on this difficult time. Thank you Frank for representing those of us here at the forum. Gregg you may be gone, but will never be forgotten!

Rich Henderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

damn...just damn...

Peace be with Gregg's family.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

(bump)

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 11  

I'll be putting in a post about Gregg's funeral before the Saturday night chat.  Stay tuned.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 12  

My condolences to Gregg's family.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 13  

Having read and enjoyed several of his contributions here I can surmise that Gregg was one of the good ones. Sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones.

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 14  

I had the honor of representing the forum at Gregg Allinson’s funeral service on Friday evening.  Having never attended the funeral of someone I hadn’t met in person, I was a tad apprehensive about going, but Gregg’s family made me feel completely welcome the moment they met me.  More on that in a minute.

It was obvious from the size and demeanor of the crowd that Gregg touched a lot of lives, and that his loss will be felt by many for quite some time.  Relatives, co-workers, and lifelong friends were in attendance, of course, but one thing that really struck me was the presence of a young woman and her mother who were frequent patrons of the public library where Gregg worked.  They told Gail, Gregg’s mother, how much they enjoyed talking to him, and how he always made them smile.  That reminded me, I suppose, of how most of us here on the forum interacted with Gregg.  Many of us never met the man, but we read his words and knew what he liked (and disliked!) and got a good chuckle out of his observations.  In other words, we liked him after only a brief exposure to his thoughts and opinions.  We may not have known him well, but we knew enough to recognize the good stuff on sight.

There were a couple of tables on display, containing some of Gregg’s favorite belongings.  A 1960’s comic book featuring Green Lantern and the Manhunter from Mars.  BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and FIREFLY DVD’s.  A copy of Albert Camus’ THE STRANGER, which I understand was Gregg’s favorite book.  A CD by a band called The Boll Weevils.  Some homemade video projects, as near as I could tell.  It was a touching way to remind mourners of the things that Gregg found important and relevant.

Also on display was a mounted collection of (mostly recent) photographs assembled by Brian and Gail, and a more comprehensive photo album containing pictures taken throughout Gregg’s life.  You already know what they say about pictures and how many words they’re worth, I’m sure.

Thomas, Gregg’s father, was the first family member I met.  He was cordial and soft-spoken and somehow had a warm smile and hearty handshake for everyone.  He reminded me a bit of my own father in that “they don’t make men like that any more” way.  Thomas was clearly in the throes of overwhelming sadness, and yet he comported himself with dignity and courtesy at every turn.  He introduced me to Gail and Brian, both of whom expressed their gratitude for all of the kind words written by the members of the forum.

Once I told Gail that I had brought along a hard copy of the condolences posted in this thread (excellent suggestion, Mietus), she thanked me profusely and immediately slipped the 17-page document into the front cover of the aforementioned photo album, so that our words could be read by all mourners.  I then spent some time with Gail, just holding her hand and listening.  I hope that I was some small comfort.

Before leaving, I invited Brian to our chat on Saturday night, and to the forum in general.  I hope that he takes me up on the invitation, because he sure seemed like a hell of a nice guy to me.  He’d make a welcome addition to the family, I think.

I’m very glad that I went to the service, and I can’t thank Thomas, Gail, and Brian enough for making me feel like more than just some guy who types words on an internet thingy.  I also want to stress just how touched they all were by every word that the people reading this post wrote in Gregg’s memory.  They all asked me to tell you how much it meant to them, and how it reinforced what they already knew:  any life touched, even in a small way, by Gregg Allinson was probably a life that was made better.

And that’s the thought that’s been nagging me since last night.  I wish, with all of my heart, that I had gotten to meet Gregg.  Some of the people reading these words did know Gregg personally, so I’ll close with this:  I envy you.  Treasure the memories you have of Gregg, and know that some of us out here are a bit worse off for not being as fortunate as you are. 

Rest in peace, Gregg.

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 15  

Thank you very much Frank. You did a very difficult thing, but I know how much Gregg's family appreciated your selfless act.

You are a credit to the forum.

All the best,

Todd

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 16  

Frank that was a wonderful thing of you to do.

Rest in peace, Gregg.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 17  

Thank you for doing what you did, Frank.

And I must say, quite touched as I am after Frank's description, and of the way we've rallied together here and in many other ionstances of hardship... This is absolutely a fantastic community of amazing people we have got together in here.

Thanks to JB as always for providing the venue, but a huge thank you to everybody for being in here. We may argue and have our spats, but when it comes down to it, we're truly there for one another in a very real way. And that is touching and heart warming in a world that seems to grow more cynical and hard for every year.
Thanks for being out there guys and gals, and while I hope I'll never have severe need of your support in times of hardship, this here is one li'l Mad Swede who's immensely grateful that to know that you are here if the need should arise.

I'll stop being mushy now.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 18  

Joakim, i know exactly what your saying.We had some sad news earlier in the year, and the good wishes of the folks here, really helped both of us.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 19  

Shocked and sorry to hear this sad news.Rest in peace Gregg

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 20  

Thanks for going Frank.  That was great.  Its so sad when they leave us so early.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 21  

Frank, thanks for going and representing everyone on the board.
Funerals are never easy, just being there was a very compassionate, selfless act.
Thanks.

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 22  

That was a very fine thing you did there Frank.  Good to see there's still people of character in this world.  You did this board and yourself proud.  I never really interacted with Gregg much, but from what I've read here, and from your observations of his friends and family, he sounds like he was a good man too.
Thanks again Frank.

Jacob Reyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 23  

Thanks Frank for honouring us with that act of reverence towards Gregg.

Ben Laughlin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 24  

Terribly sorry to read about Gregg.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 25  

Frank deserves a hearty pat on the back for the compassion he showed to
the Allinson family. Good job, Frank and I hope everything is ok with you.

My deepest condolences to the Allinson family.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version