Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB on Wonder Woman: Diana’s Invulnerability? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

Which ones do you own Stuart?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

Big Barda and the recent She-Hulk in FF garb. I also am in line for .................... that would be telling. How about you Ari?
Back to Top profile | search

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

I own a few character poses, but none of the women, sorry to say.  I love your She-Hulk, one of the best JB has done.  I'm also in the line again, though no clue where. 

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

I own a few character poses, but none of the women, sorry to say.

Easily fixed, commission some.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

I expect the list is enormous right now Stuart, but I am tempted. 

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Well I believe the list is still open but best get your feet wet before it gets very big. I expect when JB is back to commissions it will take a while to get to the last one as it currently is.

Jeff Fettes
Byrne Robotics R&D

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

Here's a question no one ever seems to ask...who's faster Wonder Woman or Superman?

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Got to be Superman, he is a fraction slower than the Flash. Wonder Woman is fast but notin that league surely.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

No answer to my question, JB?  That's disappointing.  ;)

Edited by Dennis Calero on 02 January 2007 at 4:00pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

When Marston created WW, the notion of comparing and contrasting various characters as if they existed within a single reality did not exist, and certainly not in its present form.  WW stories were expected to be consistent within themselves and owed nothing to the events in Superman, Detective, or any of the other National/ All-American magazines. 

When the Justice Society began to meet, cleverly stopping the giant robot and saving the town of mining folk from the rock troll invasion were the main concerns of the day. It was a passing issue at best whether Starman's Gravity Rod could exert a stronger pull than GL's power ring and such. The fans began to conjure with those possibilities while the creators of that era continued to merely write the characters in their own individual styles as much as possible.  The look and tone of WW's world was unique, and therefore her adventures differed from those of the other JSA'ers.  Editors realized the readers enjoyed seeing the characters interact, but they did not impose a single, overriding "reality" onto their adventures.  Marston even went out of his way to preserve the integrity of his approach by writing her chapters in the JSA novel-length adventures.  WW still dealt with magical, winged fairie queens and planets where evil men had enslaved the female populations while the Flash went to go battle the Fiddler or some other gimmicky felon. Anything else would have been fairly insulting to the creators who had not, after all, just created an adventure hero and a small list of superpowers for them to possess.  They'd created the entire milleu in which that character existed (even if that meant merely borrowing one from pulps and crime films.)

WW was plenty tough enough to whip Hercules' butt and send him and his buddy Mars scurrying back to Olympus like scolded dogs.  She'd then offer encouragement to the Holliday Girls assuring them all that they too could do exactly as she had done, with the proper training and belief system.  Superman's creators later wrote stories in which Hercules would go toe-to-toe with the Metropolis Marvel only to reach a stalemate.  As readers we could then fairly assume that if WW can best Hercules with no trouble, and Superman can't do so on strength alone, then WW could easily pummel that carnival costumed Patriarchal showboater with one or both hands tied behind her back.  (She's used to working in restraints, after all...) Heck, with proper diet and exercise, the Holliday Girls could take him! That's fine, but the writers didn't play those games back then.  They gave you this month's story and did what they could to keep it reasonably consistent with the stories they'd been writing for the past five years or so... Anything older than that was open to revisiting or revision. 

And the world got along just great that way.  Sales were high, readers seemed to like the stories they got...Sure, you wound up with WW, Superman, Rip Hunter, and heaven only knows who else all battling different versions of Circe at one point or another, but it was up to the fans to reconcile those "inconsistencies."  The books' creators merely asked themselves if they'd written an engaging, entertaining adventure and moved on to next month's story.

It's the fans coming into comics later who insisted we cross-verify and catalog these "errors" so that all can be in complete and utter sync with the great "super-hero universe" concept.  Even Marvel's continuity wasn't tidily kept when they came up with the "Marvel Universe" fairly late in their genesis.  Once DC bought into the notion, characters purchased from other companies who owed even less to their neighbors on the comic racks were subsequently pounded into the requisite round holes to the point that unique and wonderful heroes like Captain Marvel and Plastic Man had to be reimagined as child-men and drug addicts to maintain any sort of connection to the richly imaginative universes in which they once lived.  Today, any sort of individualism a character may once have possessed is subsumed into universe-crashing grand guignol and the results are freakshow scenes like "Days of Vengeance" in which Captain Marvel battles the Spectre to avenge the brutal death of Shazam while Detective Chimp, Ragman, and Blue Devil look on.  That's asking the average reader to buy an awful lot of baloney for their meal, when really just the talking monkey alone might've been enough for most...

Marston created WW to be a female Superman in terms of potential sales, wonderful stories, and a positive role model for young readers.  I don't think he ever thought that he'd better equip her with lazer-beam eyes just in case she someday has to defend herself from the Big Blue Thug after she's justly and properly broken the neck of Maxwell Lord...

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

So you're saying that she can beat up Superman.

Cool.

Darron Durward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think there is a large misconception around invulnerability. By definition it means incapable of being damaged. This would dictate there are no degrees of invulnerability, you have it, or you don't. Superman obviously has it, as well as the Hulk (big and green). This is why his bones never get broken, Wolverine couldn't pierce his skin, and no matter how many times Grimm pounds on him, he never gets 'shiners'. Hulk can still be knocked out ( as per Samson) as his carotid arteries can still be compressed, causing unconsciousness (he could also be choked out MMA style). But neither he nor Superman will suffer any permanent damage as a result. Other heroes have damage resistance of varying degrees. The Thing's rocky hide for instance, would not afford as much protection as Wonder Man's ion altered skin. However, toughness is different then strength or damage resistance. Titanium is a very hard metal, but if you hit it hard enough it becomes very damaged. Iron isn't as hard, but suffers damage very well. This is what makes it so mallaeble, it can be reformed without coming apart. It is true super strength would require degrees of toughness, or tensile strength, but not necessarily damage resistance. Wonder Woman may not have damage resistance, but she is very tough. A badly cooked steak offers an interesting analogy. You can cut even the toughest steak, but it make take a rediculous number of passes before you actually get through the darned thing. An invulnerable steak you could saw away all day, even bring out the lasers, to no avail. And yes, I do spend too much time thinking about this stuff.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version