Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB on Wonder Woman: Diana’s Invulnerability? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 1  

JB,

I wondered if you could clear up Wonder Woman’s invulnerability for me. I understand that she is not bullet-proof like Superman, even if she is as strong, and she can be hurt though she is immortal. But more or less, what is she vulnerable to and invulnerable to? Where might she rank in this regard among other heroes?

Thanks,

Kyle

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

On the invulnerability scale, Wonder Woman is pretty much a wonder wimp. She may, in fact, possess no real invulnerability, in the superhero sense, at all. She has to use those bracelets to deflect bullets, after all, and bullets are not something Superman even thinks about.

It has struck me as odd for a long time, that Marsden created Wonder Woman to be a "female Superman", yet gave hardly any of his powers. No flight, no invulnerbility, no vision powers, etc. She got speed and super strength, but she got seriously short changed on the rest.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

This brings to mind an interesting question, from a modern logical pov, JB...

If Wonder Woman is nearly as strong as Superman (my understanding is that she's second in strength only to Supes) wouldn't she HAVE to be at least more invulnerable to physical harm?  Lest her super-strong muscles tear through her skin?

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

There are many who say Wonder Woman has the stregth levels of Superman; it is much discussed and I'd be interested to know JB'S feeling on the matter.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

She has the "strength of the Earth" - whatever that is!

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

For myself I would like to believe Superman is the stronger by quite a margin. Still I like Wonder Woman and would like to see more of her, in commissions but not least a book that comes out on time.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

JB: ...No flight...

But she flies now, right?  When and how did that make it into the character?

I've never followed Wonder Woman at all, so I have zero knowledge of her history.

Edited by Roger A Ott II on 02 January 2007 at 1:36pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wonder Woman's powers are a result of magic, so physics can be thrown out the window (even comic book physics).

Otherwise, it's hard to understand how a bad guy knocking Wonder Woman with a steel pole, for example, doesn't just rip right through her if a bullet is strong enough to pierce her skin. But again, a lot of that is comic book physics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

I cannot say I know a lot about Wonder Woman but when Diana lost out to Artemis she cas called a metahuman and retained some enhanced strength and flight. Artemis was given Winged boots in order to fly.

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

Otherwise, it's hard to understand how a bad guy knocking Wonder Woman with a steel pole, for example, doesn't just rip right through her if a bullet is strong enough to pierce her skin. But again, a lot of that is comic book physics.

I seem to recall reading than Wonder Woman has some invulnerability to blunt force impact but could not withstand projectiles like arrows and bullets.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

When Perez revamped the charater she was blessed with the power of flight.  The sandals of Hermes were necesary for her to cross the bridge between Paradise Island and our word, whcih apparently was on another plane of existence. Problem I have with Diana's strength and vulnerability is that if she lifted something that weighed tons wouldnt the weight of it cut through her because of her vulnerability.

Side note:  It is a travesty that John has only done one commission of Wonder Woman.  She is the single most identifiable female character in all of comicdom, and JB is strongly associated with her.  Couple that with the incredible commission of Diana and Donna in the gallery, and it boggles the mind that JB has not had more commission requests for Wonder Woman

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

I am sure Ari that she will be done again, she is after all very popular. I like the female commissions, I have two and look forward to others commissioning some more.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version