Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: question for JB re Illuminati (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Unless I'm mistaken, guys like Roger Stern, Jim Starlin, and Walt Simonson are still very interested in working with the characters, if not the editorial staff.

If the EIC and his cronies would simply back off and let you guys do your respective things--like tell good stories and keep deadlines--I see no reason why it couldn't work. Those listed certainly know how to do their jobs. I have proof.
Back to Top profile | search

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Michael Golden is back doing comics,Paul Smith has done work for Marvel recently.Why not some new JB Marvel stuff?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

As I have suggested before there is only one way a return for JB and others greats could work. A new line which we could call for arguments sake "Classic Marvel" which would basically start with just the core titles, with 20 or 30 years of continuity removed. (My personal preference would be the point just before Secret Wars.)

In principle this would be very similar to the Ultimates Line but with the classic iconic versions of the characters in place and of course a sympathetic editor.

The all important question, would it sell?

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

id love to see JB and others work on regular titles with folks like Millar and Brubaker and even bendis.They would sell no problem.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why does anyone believe that Marvel would not screw over JB again? Aside from Chris Claremont, every other veteran creator who has done work with Quesada has been stabbed in the back.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mark Millar has stated publicly he wants to work with JB, as has Bendis, and Tom Breevort as seen above would like JB back.

wouldnt it be worth a shot?

Jeff Palm
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

A new line which we could call for arguments sake "Classic Marvel"

I would call it Marvel Silver, of course you would have to cancel the Ultimate line, along with Marvel Knights, and the all ages line.  Who would be a good editor for this line?  My answer, unfortunately, is no longer with us (MG).

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

Isn't the Illuminatti that series about several Marvel heroes (Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Charles Xavier, Black Bolt) setting up a conspiracy of sorts?  That is, endless pages of talking heads and local comic shop dialogue? 

JB would be appropriate for that job?  REALLY?

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

I love how JB handles Marvel characters. I would hate to think that we've seen the last of his work on new comics for Marvel. 

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

What the PTB at Marvel need to realize is that there is a big fan-base for popular veteran talent out there that the company would only benefit from accommodating. I'm hoping that guys like Bendis and Brevoort are not so naive that they think that creators like JB would want to work on things like these recent anti-heroic uber-events.

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

I know we must drive JB crazy with our wish to see him back working at Marvel again.  If I can be frank, I think he does his best work with those characters.  I can understand completely the trust issues and personal dislikes JB might have with certain people there, given past behaviour, but isn't it possible to have a professional contract drawn up that would in effect protect him and his work?  A "non-interference" clause or something?

No promises that can be broken, just a straight forward business deal.

I feel I should apologise to JB if he feels hounded by this, but the desire to see you on Marvel characters again is just so strong!

(my vote? Brubaker and Byrne on The Invaders)

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 13 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

Now the Invaders could still work because it's not set in the current continuity!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version