Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

Which part, Greg?
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

Your last three posts.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

Gotcha.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

This is perhaps one of the reasons some like myself would like JB to work with one or two of the current guys - I believe JB could BE that guiding hand.

Valid point, except JB doesn't need Bendis to write his comics.  Heck, he didn't need Claremont.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Relax, I said "Need."
Back to Top profile | search | www

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Don wrote...

"You may love the CA/Bucky stories of the 1950s, John, but that doesn't mean they had to be explained and shoehorned into continuity once Captain America was revived in Avengers # 4. Don't work so hard at missing the point next time. "

Two things, Don. One, as I said, *I* liked them. you obviously don't. Marvel, especially in the 70's, was famous for shoehorning lots of things in when they didn't have to. With the higher reader turnover rates, maybe they felt it would keep the readers there longer. Maybe it was poor writng or editing.  That's the true joy of it -- you don't have to like it. Two....spare me of your contempt, ok? It's merely an opinion of a 35 year old storyline.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

I remember buying that four-part Captain America story (with Cap and the Falcon taking on the 1950's Cap and Bucky) off the newstand as a kid in--what?--1972 or 1973. I loved them then. Read them to tatters. Replaced them about four years ago. Read them again. Loved them all over again.

Edited to add: I loved Captain America in the early 1970's, by the way. Those Gene Colan, John Romita, and Sal Buscema issues were loads of fun for me.

Edited by Thomas Moudry on 03 February 2007 at 10:03pm

Glenn Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Deaths of characters because "there are no more stories to tell."
--------------------------------------------------

I believe I heard that's why Gwen Stacy was killed off.  Do you think that should not have been done, JB?

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

I thought Gwen Stacy was killed because they wanted to something dramatic, something permanent.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Watchmen has always been one of my favorite comic books to read. But I think the point JB is making when he says its a terrible super-hero story is that none of the characters involved are really heroes. Some are fascists, some are cowards, some are in it for the glory, approval of their peers and others are super powered beings. But none are heroic. Rorschach, in the begining, seems to be the hero of the piece. When he is exposed as being crazy it takes the heroism out of his character as well. A story that still entertains me, with some of the best art in the world, but not a superhero story. Being "super" doesn't mean you are a hero, that's what I always took from the story.

The sad aftermath of this type of story is that people keep trying to make the existing comic book heroes non-heroic. Dick Giordano was correct in making Moore create a self contained world for this type of story. It's a shame the editors of today won't take that stance to protect their franchise characters.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

Looking at the Marvel Universe today, it seems like so many of the storylines that have taken the characters down wrong paths would have been used to tell What If? stories back in the day. What if Spider-Man had joined the Fantastic Four? What if Spider-Man's cloned had lived?

Now those types of goofy ideas have become injected into the mainstream universe and accepted as perfectly reasonable. What If Peter Parker was married? What If the Green Goblin hadn't died? What if Wolverine joined the Avengers? What if Captain American and Iron Man went to war? What if Ned Leeds had been the Hobgoblin? What if Wolverine appeared in half a dozen books every month? What if Marvel's Characters aged at the same rate as our readers did?

Good point!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

"
Then how you do to read so many comics as to make such generalizations as you regularly do? Download them? read them at the store? borrow them from friends?"

Border's bookstore doesn't care if I read the comics at the stand.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version