Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Doubt it, but oh, I'm hoping!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

ESPN has a 30 For 30 on Ric Flair tonight. I'm recording the 2am re-run, because I have too many things recording to do the 10pm airing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Kayfabe Commentaries now have a streaming service (and I'm told the bugs have been "ironed out").

I can thoroughly recommend their titles (I have bought many DVDs). When they say they've revolutionized the shoot interview concept, they have. There are numerous kinds of shoots from "Back To The Territories" where Jim Cornette chats with various wrestlers about particular territories, and "Timeline: The History of WWF..." which features a wrestler discussing a particular year (one featuring Bret Hart discussing 1992 - not just his own feuds! - is well worth a watch).
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I watched the Flair documenary.  Nothing really new, although it's interesting nevertheless.  Hogan is unusually generous about Flair being so much better than him (or, at least, Hogan knows the audience enough to know what to say to make himself look good.)

To me the scariest part is Flair glowingly telling a story about Reid inviting the neighbor over for drinks when Reid was only 16.  Flair still has the 'that's my boy' gleam in his eye, seemingly unaware of his own part in Reid's fate.  Really sad.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Montreal Screwjob took place twenty years ago today.

What more can be said about it? Although people knew wrestling was and is predetermined, this was a pivotal point where a federation explicitly told us it was. 

It obviously led to the "Mr. McMahon" character doing great things with Steve Austin.

What of the rest of SURVIVOR SERIES, though? It's sad that the event has been overshadowed by the screwjob.

The Team Canada VS Team USA bout was solid. Goldust took a leaf out of the "Bad News Brown playbook" by abandoning his team.

Kane VS Mankind was also a solid bout, very effectively done.

The card itself was, in my view, one of the strongest of 1997 - but the matches will forever be overshadowed by the Bret/Shawn debacle. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ESPN's "30 for 30" was a chance to see Ric Flair at his best and at his worst, and sure there wasn't much new for us wrestling fans, but watching Flair react was fascinating and sobering... especially the last 20 minutes.

From Flair's epic feud with Dusty Rhodes to the forming of the Four Horsemen plus his rivalry with Hulk Hogan, the wrestling business was in full view in this documentary, including Flair's reaction to the "wrestling is fake" debate... Listening to the tragic story of Reid Fliehr was once again, sad. Great work, ESPN.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Robbie - you asked earlier about Piper becoming a commentator in the early 90's and I happened upon a clip of Bruce Prichard talking about it. He didn't have a lot to say about it, other than they thought it would keep the dynamic with McMahon after Ventura left but it didn't really work out as they'd hoped.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, John. Yes, it didn't quite work out.

I'd enjoyed seeing him return to in-ring action in '89, so when he became a colour commentator, well I missed seeing him in the ring. 1990 was one of my favourite years for WWF action, I'd have loved to have seen him mixing it up with the likes of Earthquake or teaming with Ultimate Warrior.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Serious question: did the Orient Express EVER win a televised contest? I can only recall them losing. :D

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

WCW WORLD WAR 3 '97 took place twenty years ago today:

I remember little about this. The format of the Battle Royal was always unwieldy. 

Didn't Scott Hill win the match, but fail to get a world title shot, anyway?

I usually remember something about PPVs, even if they aired 20 or 30 years ago. I remember little about this. Anyone?

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hall did get his title shot, he lost to Sting in early '98 on PPV.

I don't remember much of this show either, to be honest. But, really, most of these WCW PPVs run together for me.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Hall did get his title shot, he lost to Sting in early '98 on PPV.

Ah, that's right. Against Sting, yes?

Late 1997 was the beginning of the end for WCW (for me). 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

SURVIVOR SERIES '92 aired twenty five years ago today:

What an event.

Firstly, I was extremely disappointed that they didn't stick to the survival elimination format. We had one such match (Natural Disasters/Nasty Boys VS Beverly Brothers/Money Inc.), but the rest were tag/singles matches. Why on earth did they drop the elimination format?

The Macho Man/Mr. Perfect VS Ric Flair/Razor Ramon contest lacked a certain oomph! It should have been Warrior, but he left days before. Perfect was the "emergency babyface" and it felt a tad contrived turning him face and having him hook up with Savage.

The Bret Hart VS Shawn Michaels match, with Hart's WWF Title on the line, was a stellar match. 

Really, though, the event left me feeling cold. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

So, what two events took place thirty years ago today?

I remember reading how Vince McMahon offered SURVIVOR SERIES '87 to PPV operators on the condition that they did not air STARRCADE. Oh, McMahon, how mean.

The first SURVIVOR SERIES, which only had four matches, was intense. It shows how strong the tag team division was back then, given that five babyface teams took on five heel teams. So, twenty men in one contest, eh? You couldn't have done that with modern events. 

I enjoyed each match, all of them felt important. I enjoyed many of the interactions in the main event, where Hogan's team took on Andre the Giant's team.

As for STARRCADE '87, what a solid and fantastic card. The NWA didn't have the same sports entertainment value, but for pure wrestling action, it was a great card.

There was overlap between sports entertainment and wrestling back then, but it was good to have choice; for entertainment and larger-than-life characters, WWF was the one to watch; for pure wrestling, NWA/WCW was the one to watch.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Quiet on the wrestling front, folks? ;-)

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

It's the pre-Rumble lull :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Speaking of that, John, I watched the Blu-ray of THE TRUE STORY OF THE ROYAL RUMBLE.

The documentary is around 64 minutes. There are no major revelations. It glosses over a lot and hops around the timeline, not always providing context.

I suppose WRESTLEMANIA could have its own "making of" documentary as that event was as much about Vince's gambles and the WWF's plans as it was about the event itself. There's probably not really a "story" about the ROYAL RUMBLE. 

An independent documentary might have covered the BUNKHOUSE STAMPEDE and the competition that Jim Crockett Promotions provided at the time.

This is a WWE gloss job.

The extras make up for it, including the first 30-Man Rumble and the Rockers VS Orient Express match from '1991. The documentary is so-so.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Yeah, the Royal Rumble story basically starts with 'we really wanted to screw the NWA ...'

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I watched the 1988 Royal Rumble again tonight; well, the 20-Man Rumble part at least.

It's not good at all.

Later events featured a lot of little moments and stories during the 30-Man Rumble: Hogan and Warrior going at it, Ted DiBiase lasting 45 minutes, etc. Seeds were sown for feuds. Rivalries started (e.g. Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle). Character-building happened, e.g. Diesel making an impact in '94 and perhaps, there and then, sowing the seeds for his eventual babyface turn and clash with Shawn Michaels.

The 1988 version was just a boring succession of entrances and eliminations. No stories, no rivalries starting, no feuds ending, etc. Just people coming in and fighting.

And the babyfaces pretty much battled the heels only. With the exception of Harley Race attacking Boris Zhukov, the heels stuck to their own corners as did the babyfaces. Later events saw babyface vs babyface, tag team partner vs tag team partner, heel vs heel, etc. Truly every man for himself. In the 1988 one, it was just babyfaces going toe-to-toe with the heels.

Truly a bad 20-man Rumble. Nothing memorable at all. The only bit I liked was when the Hart Foundation and Butch Reed beat up on Tito Santana - before Jake Roberts made the save. The rest is forgettable and anti-climatic.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 231
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version