Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Why Some Artists Are Slow (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 1  

At least, one possible reason.

A few years ago I asked an artist* known for (a)incredibly detailed pages and (b)sometimes missing his deadline by years how long it took him to do one of his pages. "Five days," he said.

This was something of a revelation to me. Aside from the fact that the guy had incredibly arcane working habits, I could not imagine myself having to get up each day and face the same page for a full working week. By Wednesday morning I'd be ready to open a vein.

It struck me at the time that this might well be why so many artists are so slow. Artists today almost all have appallingly bad work habits. They think nothing of staying up till 3 in the morning, sleeping till noon, hanging with friends and stumbling to the drawing board around midnight. Working like this -- as I know from personal experience, early in my career -- is not a good way to get the job done. Work is invariably left unfinished, and is waiting the next day like a teacher waggling her finger at you for not getting your homework done. If this continues over more than a couple of days, that unfinished page starts to seem like an insurmountable obstacle. (Even today, when I have sane working hours, and generally apply myself diligently thru the day, there are occasional times when a page does not get finished by quitting time. I have learned not to leave that page waiting for me, but to set it aside, do another couple of pages, and then return to the unfinished page. Far less daunting.)

Bottom-ish line here, as I have said on many an occasion, the best bet is always to treat the job as a job, and do it the most efficient way. If this means drawing incredibly elaborate pages and hitting the deadline, fine. If not, time to consider a new game plan ---- possibly a new career!

*Not George Perez!

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, when some fans defend late books, they'l say something like "So the book was X months late.  If it takes them that long to make the book look that good, I don't care".  Those fans seem to believe that the level of detail and visual composition in those books must take longer than normal to produce.

Do you think there's much truth to that?  Is it less about artists being lazy or irresponsible and more about them developing a style that simply can't meet monthly deadlines and no one forcing them to change or adapt in order to keep getting work?

Mike

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 3  

IMHO some artists get sidetracked too much as well. One artist I'm aware of took almost a year between issues (and in fact has one series out that hasn't seen a new issue in over a year), yet he was able to do comic covers and magazine covers.

It may not really be equal, in my mind though 1 cover = 1 page that wasn't done.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 4  

I think a lot of us have heard the stories of 'hot' artists and being distracted by video games and the such.
It boggles my mind that if artist x can do one page a week that he/she is able to survive financially.  How much are these folks getting paid that allows them to go work at such a leisurely rate?
If they are getting paid enough to survive to what they feel is a comfortable level then what is going to motivate them to go any faster or adapt their work habits to a more effecient method?  It appears obvious that the powers-that-be are not pushing these guys too hard or that the prospect of telling a 'hot' artist to move quicker and having said artist quit is a worse situation that late books and numerous fill-ins.
But with no one telling them the productivity is not gonna cut it, this will go on and on.

Douglas Briel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Sometimes they just need the watchful eye of an editor too. a good example is Chris Bacchalo and Jae Lee. On their creator owned books they would obsess and keep drawing more and more detail, or redraw sequences. Working at the big two they get three to four issues out in a row.

The exact opposite of lazy. Sometimes an editor needs to step in like a parent or teacher and say okay that's good enough. Time to put it in the mail now.

I can't wait to pick up Jae's Hellshock TP to finally see how the story ends.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6  

O.K. whos going to be the first to bring up the "Growing Roses" shit. oh....it was me....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Mmmm...do they fall in the same trap as pop singers when they start thinking about themselves as Divas?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Patrick T Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hey GREG ---

Have you ever read the study - SCHMIDT THE HIGH PRICED MAN - it was conducted by Maslow, I think, back in the 1930s at Bethlehem Steel Corp.  It truly addresses the point you raised about motivation and compensation.  Look it up in the net -- quite interesting.

Patrick T Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Hey - wasn't there an artist in the 90s who started missing deadlines because he was in prison on drug charges?  I seem to recall it was an "Image" artist - but I may be wrong.  He was doing his pages from his cell, or something like that?

Anyone remember this?

Mark Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

Patrick, The only Image guy I heard of having a drug problem was Dale Keown. It was just a rumor though. I never saw any proof of it. Is that who you meant?

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

Patrick-I have not read that but I will look it up.  Thanks for the heads up.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Neal Adams missed deadlines a plenty... but I'll take what he gave us in his career....

Superman vs Muhammud Ali was incredibly past due date when it came out...but I would rather that comic existed than did not exist. Neal was also never monthly on Batman ever...either in Detective or on Batman... But he single handedly saved that character in the late 60's early 70's...

This debate never is gonna go anywhere because for every Sal Buscema brought up there is an Adam Hughes out there or a Neal Adams... Jim Steranko never did a mammoth amount of work but still made a huge impact in the industry...his Captain America issues were not in succession it skipped an issue and his three issue run is a pinnacle for Captain America.

Certainly that doesnt give everyone the right to jack off deadlines but there are GIANTs in the industry who dont fall "neatly" into the camps of workhorse/growing roses...

I would rather have Neal Adams than Sal Buscema no matter how many more comics he produced and I am a huge fan of Sal...

Artists either inspire you are they don't sometimes artists who inspire you are total wrecks in real life but if their work (like Neal Adams) inspires generation upon generation and transforms the industry like Neal Adams did than I certainly think he gets a pass....

You can fire away at me all you want but a comic is either something you want to buy are not.... and the chose to buy it is contents therein... not whether it came out Tuesday instead of Monday...

Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version