Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music << Prev Page of 162 Next >>
Topic: The Genesis Thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2014 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Definitely not awkward at all, I would enjoy that so very much !

Not sure, though, how Phil would take that. No drums and backup vocals, that's so much less action than he's accustomed to...
But if he can enjoy that, I, for one, would love to see them again !
Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2014 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

No, it wouldn't be awkward.
Chester should have been made a full member of the band years ago.
Phil can play some percussion and his voice is not great anymore, but if he was comfortable with that kind of role within the band, go for it.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 October 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Good question, Kevin.  I don't think it will be awkward because they will find a way to balance it.  I suspect they will trade off lyrics on some songs as they did with the remake of "The Carpet Crawlers".  Considering Phil Collins was the singer on so many well known songs, they will likely break the show into two, with Gabriel handling the songs he sung with Phil backing him (as Phil did back in the day), and I HOPE that Gabriel will back Phil when he takes the lead, although its more likely that PG will just be off stage when Phil sings. 

I predict they will have a second drum set, modified for Phil's injury, but set-up nonetheless.  Maybe half drum kit, half standing congas that he can drum while he sings back-up.  Chester will do the heavy lifting

I also predict that Daryl Stuermer will be on stage along with Steve Hackett.  And it will sound great!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2014 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Chester should have been made a full member of the band years ago.

--------

That was how I would have moved forward after Phil left.  Chester may not be a writer, but he's a solid musician.  The band has frequently joked that after they make an album, to get ready for a tour they have Chester and Daryl come in and teach them the songs.

I would have made Chester and Daryl full members, re-tooled Mike as a multi-instrumentalist again, and gone for that full band feeling again.

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

No drums and backup vocals, that's so much less action than he's accustomed to...

-------

Yep.  I think that's what lead to some of his vocal vamping live.  He's just used to propelling things along.  His minimalist drumming on Robert Plant's "In The Mood" is a thing of beauty.  But when they toured, he literally beats the song into submission.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't know if this is behind a subscriber wall.  If it is, I could summarize the list for you.  If it's not... what do you think?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-ge nesis-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20141010

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That's awesome!  I was stumped on two of the songs - "Going Out to Get You" and "The Dividing Line".  I know the rest and they are wonderful choices.  It's great to see them get some attention from the finicky folks at Rolling Stone.

Chris Marquardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Anyone see the documentary? It's currently running on Showtime in the US.
Interesting stuff. I didn't really come into Genesis until around Abacab and
am quite unfamiliar with the Gabriel-era stuff (though I enjoy it on the later
live albums). Any thoughts from the more knowledgeable among us?

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2014 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Haven't seen it yet, but I've read on Genesis-related sites that Steve is all but ignored.  Steve himself addressed it on his Facebook page.

I'm only mildly interested at this point.  I can't imagine there's much more to show or tell, given all the previous docs. 

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wow, I haven't been here in awhile.

I would probably like "Going Out To Get You" if it weren't a Genesis song, as it doesn't have their sound.  It's more of a R & B type song, with a great Hammond organ riff.  "The Dividing Line" is not one of my favorites off Calling All Stations.  If I were to go there to highlight a song it would probably be "Alien Afternoon" or Ray Wilson's best song on the album, "Uncertain Weather".

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Abacab was my Genesis gateway too.  I ended up liking them from Trespass through to the end, including scads of solo works.  And it all started with a damn drum riff.  If I could have all the money that "In The Air Tonight" ended up costing me, I'd be a jillionaire!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2015 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Genesis songs that should be classic rock staples (a partial list):

• The Knife
  • Return of the Giant Hogweed
  • Watcher of the Skies
  • Dancing with the Moonlit Knight
  • I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
  • Firth of Fifth
  • In The Cage
  • The Carpet Crawlers
  • Lilywhite Lilith
  • Back in NYC
  • Counting Out Time

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2015 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

(And maybe some are in your neck of the woods.  In my years of listening to classic rock radio, I never heard anything pre-1976 except for "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", I suspect because DJs like the beginning music playing while they do the weather...)

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2015 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Haven't seen it yet, but I've read on Genesis-related sites that Steve is all but ignored.  Steve himself addressed it on his Facebook page.
Just saw the doc and actually Hackett gets some face time, though the bulk of the discussion is with Gabriel, Banks, Collins and Rutherford.  Hackett is quite deferential in his segments, basically saying he is completely okay with what happened and holds no grudges. 

The biggest thing I took from the film was that whereas I figured there was tension between Gabriel and Collins (the two lead singers of different eras), it seems that was not at all the case.  The major tensions appeared to be mostly between Gabriel and Banks, who couldn't stand the fact that Gabriel basically took over all the songwriting of Lamb Lies Down.  Banks came off to me as a much bigger player / driver in Genesis than I'd realized.

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Banks came off to me as a much bigger player / driver in Genesis than I'd realized.

--

Most definitely. 

Banks looked rather stern through much of the doc.

I remember Phil in an interview - I believe he was addressing fans laying the fault of Genesis going commercial at his lap - saying something like, "It was all of us.  I wouldn't have been able to do it myself.  I'd like to see anyone get Tony Banks to do something he doesn't want to do."

I think the doc was a missed opportunity.  I would have liked to see more interaction between the guys.  Less interviews.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2015 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Banks looked rather stern through much of the doc.... "I'd like to see anyone get Tony Banks to do something he doesn't want to do."
Ha!  Interesting.  Rutherford seems the most agreeable.  Collins didn't say much but generally seemed to go along.  Gabriel and Banks couldn't even look at each other and though they both spoke candidly about the tensions, it seemed to me their rift remains 40 years later.

I think the doc was a missed opportunity.  I would have liked to see more interaction between the guys.  Less interviews.
It came off a bit of a puff piece.  The filmmakers seemed to want the peak chart positions of each album to serve as a proxy for each albums' quality, with which I would strongly disagree.  As you say, I'd have preferred to have the group just reminisce with each other and leave out the canned questions almost entirely.  The four guys minus Hackett were all sitting there together at one point so how hard would it have been to say "can each of you share a memory or two of playing and recording together?   What first comes to mind when you sit here after all this time?" and see where it went.

The biggest drama of Genesis for me is that just at the point Gabriel's version of the group was breaking thru commercially (Lamb) he left.   Gabriel had critically acclaimed masterpiece albums after and a couple modest hit singles, but it wasn't really until So more than a decade later that he finally hit it huge. Separately, Genesis became a monster commercial success a lot faster with less critical respect. 

So, if they were going to ask questions.... I can only imagine the resentment / jealousy Gabriel must have dealt with up to So, watching his former band explode worldwide.  I also wonder if his former bandmates have any wistful regrets of missed opportunities.  That despite much love from fans they might have been a more critically acclaimed band had Gabriel stayed?   Was Gabriel kicked out?  Did he leave of his own volition?  How much of the later commercial success really was Collins?  Obviously all prickly subjects, but they didn't even address them.  Even if Banks sniffed his nose at such questions, it would be worth it just to see that reaction!

Edited by Rick Senger on 17 March 2015 at 7:16pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Duke is thirty-five years old today.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2015 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

A Tony Banks article!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 September 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Cool article!  It's good to see Banks get the recognition he deserves.

And as usual, when one of Genesis gets in the news, another one is not far behind.  Phil Collins is releasing his remastered solo catalogue, with bonus tracks (Yay!!) and new cover art that shows modern pictures of Phil in the same pose as the original cover (Huh?).

First up - "Face Value" (Yay!!) and "Both Sides" (Huh?).  Well, they will all be out eventually, and I guess he wants to highlight his later work along with the first three albums, which will garner the most attention.  I'm really looking forward to a remastered "Hello, I Must Be Going".

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Tony Banks article
Banks surprised me again, saying he contemplated retirement several during his solo work, which never caught on like he hoped.  I figured that musicians with a super-high profile success like Genesis behind them would be harder to discourage.  And despite his protestations to the contrary, I get a sense he's a bit competitive with his bandmates (particularly Rutherford, whose Mike and the Mechanics was an unexpected breakthrough) and regrets his solo work hasn't had similar commercial success.  He pokes a bit of fun at the simplicity of their work, saying his uses more than 3 chords and adds notes in between, etc. but it seemed like there was an undercurrent of seriousness beneath the winking tone. 

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2015 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Happy Birthday to Michael Rutherford!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2015 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

This is a must read for me: Phil Collins' autobiography.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 October 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I am very much looking forward to this - Phil has been pretty candid in recent years, so I am hoping for an unflinching look at his past.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2015 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

An interesting melange of Genesis "fans" (I think pop culture mentions would be more accurate.  I mean, they list Jimmy Carr and he makes a joke about Phill Collins not being a good drummer.)

Daniel Beziz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2015 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Phil Collins is no longer retired.
He seems better physically and mentally.

His interview in Rolling Stones :
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/phil-collins-plotting -comeback-i-am-no-longer-retired-20151028

<< Prev Page of 162 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version