Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music << Prev Page of 337 Next >>
Topic: The Genesis Thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2007 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Aki -

During the November press conference, it sounded like we could expect instrumental medleys of older material.

Back to Top profile | search

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

1.  How did you get into Genesis?  What was the first album/song that caught your attention? 

My high school friends and I decided to go see them in 1978, even though we'd never heard their music - we just wanted to go to a concert, really.  I bought Seconds Out, and was converted to a fan by the opening Dm7 chord of Squonk.

2.  Three decades on, what are your favorite albums/tracks?

Seconds Out remains my favorite album, and I love every track on it.  Other favorites off the top of my head: Eleventh Earl of Mar & Blood on the Rooftops, Dancing with The Moonlit Knight, Ripples, Entangled, Please Don't AskDown and Out, Dodo, Home by the Sea ... yeesh, I should stop now ...

3.  Did you ever see the band live?  What tours/shows/etc.?  Favorites?

I saw them on the And Then There Were Three, Abacab, Three Sides Live and Mama tours.

4.  And since we're all lovers of the visual medium as well, what are your favorite Genesis album covers, gatefolds, etc.?

The A Trick of the Tail and Seconds Out gatefolds still blow me away ... I pretty much like all the covers except for Genesis and Invisible Touch (yuck).

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Gene Best wrote:
During the November press conference, it sounded like we could expect instrumental medleys of older material.

Oh, well. It's still not the Genesis I love, without Gabriel and Hackett, so I don't think I'll bother...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, well. It's still not the Genesis I love, without Gabriel and Hackett, so I don't think I'll bother...

I can appreciate that ... although that band hasn't existed in 30 years.  :)

Personally, I just kinda think of them as three different bands. 

(Four, if you count Calling All Stations, which I don't.  LOL)

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Calling All Stations, technically shouldn't have been called a Genesis album.
Having said that though, musically it was their most challenging album since Duke.
Some lousy production also hurt it.
Too many songs with premature fade outs made for a rough album.

What might have been..
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Yingst
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"technically shouldn't have been called a Genesis album"?  How's that?  Seems like they had just as much right to call themselves that as other post-Gabriel incarnations did.

Edited by Jim Yingst on 12 March 2007 at 8:22pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

post-Gabriel?!?!?  I'm hardcore, fella - try post-Phillips!  :)

It was Banks and Rutherford left after Collins departed.  They were the only people left of what was left of Genesis who wanted to be called Genesis, and therefore they were.  The great thing about Genesis is they didn't go the Pink Floyd lawsuit route.  They just had a better dynamic despite also being teddibly English (the first person I ever heard use the term anal-retentive was Peter Gabriel describing the bottled up emotions of English public (private) schoolers).

I'd argue Calling All Stations sounded more like Genesis than Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance - but Genesis has been through so many permutations stylistically and thematically that we could dance that dance forever.

I sometimes have to laugh at people who say things like "Man, I was into Metallica, but they sold out, man!"

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Genesis is Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford. The only two members never to leave the band. They can call themselves Genesis if they want.

What I meant by "it shouldn't have been called a Genesis album", is that if they thought that the general public were going to rush out and get CAS as soon as it hit the racks, because it said Genesis on the cover they were deluding themselves.

When Phil left so did the bulk of the fans.
If the group name had been different, or it had been released as some sort of solo project it may have been better recieved.

Through the late eighties and early nineties the band rode the success of Phil's solo career. Like it or not, much of the music could have been on either a Collins album or a Genesis album. The only way to tell was by the very distinctive Banks keyboard sound.

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'd argue Calling All Stations sounded more like Genesis than Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance

If Genesis message boards and forums are any indication, most fans seem to concur - but that same majority dismiss the album as almost non-canonical.

Personally, I think that if CAS had NOT been called a Genesis album, it would've done much better.  But given that is was, the compositions were just way too pedistrian for the burden that album carried.  They needed to deliver an incredible album of Trick of the Tail magnitude like they did the last time they lost the face of their band.

I'll pull out CAS once every year and half to see if it's grown on me.  Still hasn't.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Whenever I listen to it I find myself thinking "Needs a drummer".  Same thing as the last Collins solo LP!  Some of the songs are great, though.  I love "Uncertain Weather" - Wilson's voice is haunting.

Brian, your clarification is very helpful.  As my friend and fellow Genesis fan said when CAS came out: "This is bad.  Their fan base is GONE."  We agreed that the band had profitted much by Phil's solo success, but the long downtimes between albums and tours had put them in a sort of limbo waiting room - and once Phil left, they were able to enter actual limbo as many fans were not going to stay.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I never really gave the drums on CAS much thought Kevin but you're right. They're there, but they're not there. Say what you will about Collins, he is (was) a fantastic drummer.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Y'know, here's another thought.
The one thing I alway noticed post-Duke was the lack of a real guitarist. After Steve left there was no-one there to push the band forward into a musical direction. All the other elements were there, but there was no distinctive, driving guitar voice to bring it all together.

With the exception of Collins on vocals, for some reason when somebody left, they didn't replace them within the band. Obviously, they did for touring purposes, but they were never considered "official" band members.

One of the main reasons Chester Thompson didn't play on CAS was because he wanted to officially "join" the band to have artistic input during the writing phase, and the guys said no.

Anybody have any input into why they took this attitude? 
It probably hurt them in the long run.

<< Prev Page of 337 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version