Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 25 Next >>
Topic: Drift: Captain America News BIG OLD HONKIN’ SPOILERS AHEAD (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 1  

Jesus. I can't believe that crap.

Hmmm.....I noticed when reading it off that Livejournal that the female `reporter'....if you can call her that....is named Sally Floyd. Wonder if I can sue M****l for a horrible mis-use of my last name, and offer to settle if they kill off the character and have some heroes dance on her grave afterward, then fire Joe Q and Mark Millar and ban either from ever working again?

Edited by Brian Floyd on 06 March 2007 at 7:51am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2  

oh and I would like to add to Matt's and I OT...

with the rampent censorship that is TRYING to control what people do on the internet... eventually YouTube-ish sites will become extinct... or just become a very small minority...

why, cause people will wise up and publish themselves on their own area on the internet... ( see previous post by me and Matt above )

Back to Top profile | search

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 3  

oh, and I realized I'm really not OT...

the usage of myspace and youtube in context in a comicbook story is not a far stretch to current events, pinning down the hip-and-now-ness of the story...

but what will happen when there is millions upon millions of TV channels ( ip-tv ) out there?

how can someone reference that within the context of the first panel?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 4  

The "reporter" seems to demonstrate a very real need for the State Department of Compassionate Indulgence of Not Very Important Dullards.

It's a terrible endictment of our society that no one has provided her with a chicken wrap, a diet soda, a TV running in the backround , and a caring professional in a white coat to nod and say "uh huh" every time she expresses herself.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Mmmm...another reminder why i don't buy many M***** anymore!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Pablo Lainez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 6  

Most...stupid...dialog....ever...written...
...in...the...english...language...

Seriously: The issue of Captain America being a man out of his time has been addressed before in comics, starting right after his 'comeback' in Avengers 4. It makes for a good Captain America story, IMHO. Obviously, the writer of that page has never read any of them. Or maybe he just doesn't get it at all.

[edit] to era se spac es in the mid dle of words...

Edited by Pablo Lainez on 06 March 2007 at 10:50am

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 7  

Huh ...

Guys, believe me, I am not a fan of most of Marvel's output these days, and in general I hate what has been done to characters like Captain America, but I think thisscene seems legit.  A character mentioning to Cap that while he's supposed to be a hero for all Americans, he's not really in touch with the daily life of Americans?  Sounds like something that Stan Lee or Roger Stern or Mark Gruenwald might write.  It reminds me a great deal of "Hey, you saved a planet of green skins and you work for blue skins, but what about us black skins?" (as flawed as that logic is)

Yeah, the specific references will be dated quickly, but what does that matter?  I assume this wasn't followed by a six-issue arc about Cap tracking badguys through Facebook.  10 years ago it would have been "When's the last time you did a search on Yahoo or videotaped an episode of Friends or bought a new Hootie and the Blowfish album?"  In 1987 it would be "When did you last eat at a sushi bar or go to a video arcade or see a Sylvester Stallone movie?"  1977 -- "When did you do the Hustle at a disco or buy a pet rock or talk to friends on a CB?"  1967 -- "When did you last listen to the Beatles or watch The Beverly Hillbillies, or buy a hi-fi?"  The specifics don't really matter.

Now, I do think it's legit that these are all very much middle class touchstones -- the people for whom these things are important don't need all that much championing.  And maybe it's not important that Cap understand them.  But having a character bring them up seems like part of a tradition.

Would I read a whole issue of this?  No.  Would I rather this were demanded of Cap by somebody in a more dynamic pose?  Definitely.  (Am I talking like Donald Rumsfeld?  Apparently.)  But a few panels like this would be okay in just about any era of Cap, post suspended animation.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 8  

When was it ever established that Captain America is not culturally aware of his own country?

Pablo Lainez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 9  

...and that reporter is supposed to be Ben Urich, from the daily bugle, right?...

Now I want to read my Daredevil: Born Again TPB, well, again.

This ties up nicely with the topic, since Frank Miller was one of the first to show, I believe, 'realistic' violence and destruction on Marvel comics, which was controversial at the time. But it was the Kingpin doing it, not Captain America!!...

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 10  

Well, Stern and Byrne had him with a big stack of Jazz and Big Band records in 1980 ...

On the other hand, I just picked up Essential Captain America Volume 3, and I was surprised that Stan Lee had him speaking pretty contemporary late-60s/early-70s slang and even dropping the occaisional pop culture reference. 

Cap's response may well be "Hey, I just watched two 'Lazy Sunday' parodies on YouTube over lunch!" but I can still imagine a character asking him these questions.  Y'know, it's like asking a politician if he or she knows the price of gasoline or a loaf of bread.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 11  

You're not answering the question, Noah. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 12  

The captain's response:

<< Prev Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version