Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: The Joy of Drawing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Thanks JB for the informative words. I believe that Greg Kirkpatrick is 100 percent right. These people would want but can't draw anything else.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

"that Greg Kirkpatrick is 100 percent right"

No, no, golf really IS boring.

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

This  is  an interesting topic  for me, especially since I just had a 'discussion' about something very similar last week.
 I was working on something, I wasnt particularly "enjoying" to draw..I think it was a horse or some sort of techno something ( both of which are NEVER 'enjoyable' to me..) and I was discussing my frustration to my partner.

He asked me if simply DRAWING wasnt enjoyment enough..I was actually a little taken back..It IS a good question..
 I told him that the ACT of drawing is always fun, but he couldnt understand that EVERY DRAWING isnt of utmost pleasure..It somewhat deteriated into a discussion about "dentists doing dental work at home...for pleasure" and the like.. Drawing HAS become  a JOB, and the job isnt always fun, although drawing is..if that makes any sense.
 He suggested  when confronted with a panel/page that is "boring or tedious" to  clear my head of sorts by drawing something i LOVE to draw..Nightwing or  something..JUST for the SHEER JOY of it.. I must say for  a'civilian' ( though I hate the term), it actually did help!

Curious, JB, do you have any tricks that help to clear a block or get you  through a page/panel that is stumping? I actually dont imagine you have this problem, but if you did, it would be interesting to hear whether you just move on and go back to it..or...?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think a lot might have to do with inspiration and drive.  Some just have it more than others. 

It boggles my mind that John Buscema allegedly wasn't a big fan of superheroes.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 07 March 2007 at 2:11pm
Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

Sat in the Studio over the first month of my employ, I attracted some strange looks and unsolicited attention! (Funny how working alone these things never come to your attention!)

My -then- senior Studio Artist approached me and asked, why it was that from time to time I'd chuckle aloud whilst I drew.

"Sometimes the drawings make me laugh!".

He didn't get that these drawings could hold -any- surprises or entertainment for me, the artist, if I had planned them*. I had to point out that If they didn't entertain me, then how were they likely to entertain anyone else looking at them?

I'll pull faces when I draw, I can become morose if the character I'm drawing is sad. Most of all though, when faced with a white sheet of paper, I am not faced with a blank page, I'm faced with a porthole that has a billion possibilities lined up, just out of -your- sight on the otherside...I can see them and that's what begets my wry smile as I step up to the ochy;-)

* I think some people see it as just solidifying the image in their head and not bringing it to life. The diference between quoting and translating to me!

Edited by Darren Taylor on 07 March 2007 at 2:17pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

Curious, JB, do you have any tricks that help to clear a block or get you  through a page/panel that is stumping?

"Writer's block is for amateurs."

~Charles Schulz

Same can be said for artists.

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

I love to draw. I feel that creativity in general is like a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it becomes. Over time you become a powerhouse.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

I can't come up with a number, but there have indeed been times when I have sat myself down at the drawingboard with an image clearly in my mind only to discover it does not translate to 2D. It usually means I have been going a bit cubic, and "viewing" the shot from multiple directions or with a moving camera. That's a mistake writers usually make.

What do you mean? Too much camera movement?

Michael Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

some might find it interesting that drawing architecture and landscapes does inprove your drawing skill in human characters.

Charles Jensen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

For some strange reason I will have tons of ideas and inspiration to draw when I am away from the drawing paper, but then when I have the blank page in front of me I go completely blank. It is soooo frustrating!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB, one of the things I really enjoy about your art (and that of Alan Davis and John Romita, Sr.) is how well you draw comic book characters in "civilian" situations. 

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree with what Wallace just said, and I'd like to repeat something I've said before too...JB draws the best rubble, wreckage and debris in comics!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version