Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: "Storytelling" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 1  

Tim Sale? I just finished his and Loeb's Catwoman:When in Rome series and was blown away by the art.
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 2  

I am enjoying JUSTICE, but I found the latest issue to have the storytelling
problem I find with a lot of other artists, they want to be George Perez or
Dick Dillin. They cram so much in a panel that it's hard to read the story
of the panel, the central thing it's supposed to get across. Perez is
detailed, but he's not cluttered, the message of each panel is clear even if
it's got 20 figures in it (and he's a master of having each figure having it's
own language, check out AVENGERS #1 where they are all sitting in on a
briefing). But the latest issue of JUSTICE, there were huge fight scenes
that were hard to read, not helped by all the characters being in almost
identical armored outfits. Instead of being thrilling, I had to slow down to
figure out exactly what the art was trying to display. However, I don't
recall that problem really with KINGDOM COME. While possibly not always
the most dynamic presentation, the individual panels were pretty clear as
to the action it was displaying, even the huge fight scenes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 3  

Something else that is all but dead, with regard to storytelling, is panel-to-panel continuity.  It seems that almost nobody knows how to drag a reader's eye from one panel to the next, using either a background element, word balloons, cropping of the figure, tilting the shot to make it naturally drag into the next panel...basically, anything that Joe Kubert has been doing since the beginning.

I remember taking a class about this particular aspect of storytelling, and it BLEW ME AWAY...my world changed.  (I also had a LONG discussion at a con with Joe Kubert, which also changed my life).

Pitty that so many consider it to be so unimportant.

MPH

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Mark Buckingham is doing a wonderful job with Fables.  Of course the exterior of characters gives them a lot distinctiveness, but if you look closely you can also see certain characters exhibiting unique body language which amplifies their personality. 

Frank Robert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 5  

> Ross depends too much on live models. You don't
get, say, Thor's body language, you get somebody
-dressed-up-as-Thor's body language.

Personally, I think Ross has the worst body language in comics art.  Everything looks static and overly-posed.  His models don't "move" -- they just "stand" -- and, thus, do his characters.

His work has absolutely no dynamics or life in it.  And that makes him one of the worst artists I have ever seen.  Technique is nothing without life.  It has to FEEL real in order to be real, as far as I'm concerned.

_Frank Robert

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6  

Looking at some current comics artists, I feel that they certainlty can draw, but might be more suited for portraits or single illustrations. There is a certain "flow" missing that is essential for panel to panel sequentials.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Duncan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 7  

I agree with Frank.

Ross' work is far too staid and controlled. Posing is everything. Sure they look iconic, but man, they have no soul.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 8  

His work has absolutely no dynamics or life in it.  And that makes him one of the worst artists I have ever seen.  Technique is nothing without life.  It has to FEEL real in order to be real, as far as I'm concerned.

While Ross' work can be stiff, to say he's one of the worst artists is a bit much. I'd be suprised if there was a member of this board besides JB or some of the other comic legends that could match him.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't know if a lot of folks would be that interested in matching him.  He does a lot of prep work and uses, as mentioned by others, models.

Anyway, I find it hard to be that impressed by Alex Ross (don't get me wrong, I think he's got great talent) when I consider the work of Frank Frazetta, a guy who (allegedly) never used any references.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 10  

While Ross' work can be stiff, to say he's one of the worst artists is a bit much. I'd be suprised if there was a member of this board besides JB or some of the other comic legends that could match him.

The word "comicbook" should be inserted between "worst" and "artists". Ross has it over just about everybody, when it comes to technique. But superhero comics aren't about technique -- as we are shown almost daily with the beautifully rendered talking heads comics that have come to dominate the form.

And it was not always so. MARVELS had everything a comic should have, plus that wonderful painterly look. But somewhere, around the time he became THE Guy Who Paints Superheroes, a subtle and accelerating shift happened, and the dynamics faded in favor of the posed models.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 11  

That is why Justice is so cool ...Ross is not doing the layouts for the book and the dynamism and action of the storytelling I feel is so much better than when he is just painting models in costume.... Superheroes are an ideal and an ideal is not a normal looking human in a costume... It is Michaelangelos David or Hercules.... The proportions are augmented and idealized.... That is really missing from his posed work which while cool to look at just does not garner any AWE like Neal Adams was able to capture with his version of hyper realism... Neals characters looked awe-inspiring but real at the same time....

The best artists are the ones that can make the fantastic seem real but the FANTASTIC aspect of it stands out...and the real does not make it seem mundane or posed....Characters should look like they are ready to LEAP off the page not look like they are in a life drawing class posing...

Edit:
Body language like JB said (and he couldnt be more right about it) is the character... With silhouettes you should be able to tell who any character is by how they stand and hold themselves.. Thor does not hold himself or stand like Cap or Cap like Spider-Man or Spider-Man like Daredevil.... or Wolverine etc...ad-infinitum....

That is why it is so disheartening to see alot of new artists not "Get" characters they draw.... John Buscema was one artist that really stood out for me as a guy who could storytell a whole story with a pose of a character just by itself... his poses spoke volumes about that character...

Edited by Eric Lund on 16 March 2007 at 9:01am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 12  

So much of the new comic art is pretty but lifeless. This explains part of it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version