Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Wonder Woman revisited (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 1  

Well it helps to know I'm in good company then. Thanks much!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bradley Dean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 2  

I hate how JB made a wonderful twist and created the WWII Wonder Woman out of Hipolyta only to have her killed off not long afterwords by a different writer. I was devistated. I was looking forward to learning more about Hipolyta and loved seeing her  as Wonder Woman. She was a complety different type of Wonder Woman.

JB I have been wondering though, why did you feel the need to bring back a Wonder Woman for the 1940's? Also why use Hipolyta for that?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 3  

I have been wondering though, why did you feel the need to bring back a Wonder Woman for the 1940's? Also why use Hipolyta for that?

I thought George's one "mistake" in rebooting Wonder Woman was making her only 25 years old when she left Paradise Island. I preferred the idea of a Diana who was thousands of years old (as, if I recall correctly, she was in the TV series). From that angle, I would have liked to have seen Diana having been Wonder Woman in WW2, and be returning to our world in the reboot.

Not having that option, I took the next best course, and had Hippolyta fill that role.

Now, if there was just some way to get Superman and Batman back there

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 4  

This was the only monthly comic I bought in the mid to late 90s. I loved that Diana's mother had been the Wonder Woman of WWII. An elegant solution, as far as I'm concerned. I was also pleased with the resolution to the continuity nightmare that is Donna Troy.

JB, was there a specific reason why you altered Wonder Woman's trunks so the multiple small stars were replaced by a few large ones?

Edited by Brendan Howard on 04 April 2007 at 12:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
I thought George's one "mistake" in rebooting Wonder Woman was making her only 25 years old when she left Paradise Island. I preferred the idea of a Diana who was thousands of years old (as, if I recall correctly, she was in the TV series). From that angle, I would have liked to have seen Diana having been Wonder Woman in WW2, and be returning to our world in the reboot.

Yes. Exactly. That would've been perfect.

Here's a thought experiment -- imagine JB doing the Wonder Woman reboot, and George Perez doing the Superman reboot...

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

The "just a friend" speech is one of the most perfectly conceived and usually fantastically executed "outs" for women ever devised. I wouldn' t be surprised if women held secret meetings to initiate other blossoming girls into the cabal that introduced this particular crushing logical but Darwinistic assessment of any male they find undesirable sexually.

Of course, during these ceremonies, all the women masters are beautiful, wear only partially revealing robes, and the nubile virgins they indoctrinate all look like Jenny Agutter from LOGAN'S RUN.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well that just conjured a helluva mental image Chad. Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB: I thought George's one "mistake" in rebooting Wonder Woman was making her only 25 years old when she left Paradise Island. I preferred the idea of a Diana who was thousands of years old (as, if I recall correctly, she was in the TV series). From that angle, I would have liked to have seen Diana having been Wonder Woman in WW2, and be returning to our world in the reboot.

-------

THANK YOU!

All Star Comics #12

Kyle Sing
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB wrote:

"I thought George's one "mistake" in rebooting Wonder Woman was making her only 25 years old when she left Paradise Island. I preferred the idea of a Diana who was thousands of years old (as, if I recall correctly, she was in the TV series). From that angle, I would have liked to have seen Diana having been Wonder Woman in WW2, and be returning to our world in the reboot.

Not having that option, I took the next best course, and had Hippolyta fill that role."

JB, was there any thought to sending Diana into that past instead of Hippolyta? I am curious as to whether it was something you offered and was turned down by editorial of if you just went with Hippolyta from the get-go.

A fun run but too short it fely like you were just hitting your stride at the end.

Best,

Kyle

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 10  

JB, was there any thought to sending Diana into that past instead of Hippolyta?

No. I wanted Wonder Woman to be part of the JSA for several years, and I did not want Diana to be "gone" for that long (even tho, just as I played it for Hippolyta, the time away as perceived by her friends would have been virtually nothing.)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 11  

Time for me to reread that Wonder Woman run.  Hmmm...  This weekend looks good...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Its a fun run...and the Neron storyline was great as well. It was just really
neato to see Mr. Byrne draw and write him, and make Artemis into a likeable
character.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version