Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Q for JB: Darkseid vs Galactus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

I just read The Hunger for the first time - my shop had a copy on display and I snagged it. Wow! What a real treat that was - I'll probably read it again as soon as I'm done typing this.

I have just one question, though, based on my first impressions - did you intend for the story to be in continuity with both Marvel and DC?

From my perspective, it would fit in BEFORE Galactus' first appearance in the Marvel Universe, so it's square in that regard. Plus, given that scenario, obviously something happened to Galactus and the Surfer to send them to the Marvel Universe, so therefore it would explain why Galactus hasn't shown up again in the DCU.

Regardless of your answer, which I will accept as definitive, that's just my first impression and I think it's a testament to the way you told the tale that it could be true, even if neither company would ever really be able to call it canon.

Wonderful book, though, I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

Edited by Brad Krawchuk on 06 April 2007 at 11:28am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

…did you intend for the story to be in continuity with both Marvel and DC?

As much as possible. I view the crossovers as taking place in a "universe" in which these characters have always existed together -- thus Superman's comment that he had "heard of" Spider-Man, when they met in the first of the cross-company crossovers. So Galactus goes from Apokolips to (eventually) Earth and his first encounter with the Fantastic Four, and Orion, Darkseid, et al make their way on to NEW GODS 1.

(Glad you liked it!)

Back to Top profile | search

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

I found a copy two weeks ago and enjoyed it immensely. Would love to see a sequel at some point. (It would be great to have Apokolips and Darkseid worked into the Last Galactus Story)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

That would make for an interesting twist, with it being Darkseid, rather than Nova, who becomes the "Galactus" of the next universe. Effectively, he becomes the anti-life equation.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, hurry up and pitch it to DC! *insert appropriate emoticon*

Pablo Lainez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

I view the crossovers as taking place in a "universe" in which these characters have always existed together

Batman & Captain America being the perfect example. IMHO, the best example of company crossover, with the primigenial Superman & Spider-Man a close second

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

As much as I enjoyed JLA/Avengers I tend to prefer the Superman/Spider-Man approach that states that they've always co-existed and "heard of" each other. Makes for a cleaner, tighter story that focuses on the meeting and the situation rather than the scenery.

Oh, and I loved The Hunger, too.

Edited by Eric Smearman on 06 April 2007 at 4:56pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 8  

As much as I enjoyed JLA/Avengers I tend to prefer the Superman/Spider-Man approach that states that they've always co-existed and "heard of" each other. Makes for a cleaner, tighter story that focuses on the meeting and the situation rather than the scenery.

JLA/Avengers, like "Amalgam" before it, suffered from a bad case of "Let's Explain This". Yet another indicator of how far behind us are the "Let's Have FUN with This" days.

Nice art, tho!

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 9  

Just have to pitch in and express how much I too enjoy "The Hunger". I bought the fourth DC/Marvel Crossover TPB about two years ago and primarily because of that story – hey big fan of JB, Galactus and Kirby's Fourth World stuff, so I had high hopes for this story. And all those hopes paid off big time. Good old fashioned cosmic fun. Thanks a lot, JB.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version