Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: JB’s Superman retcon is offically retconned (spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:

QUOTE:
Look what happened after "The Flash of Two Worlds", very possibly the last gasp of the true "Silver Age". And why did Hawkman get those silly wings on his helmet?  

All fan-think.

Weren't Hawkman's helmet wings added by Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert as "Honor Wings" in the second Brave and Bold run? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
The last time Superboy had anything to do with the Legion was 20 years ago.

Actually, the last time was...last Saturday on TV. And this coming Saturday. And the next one...
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

Re: Starboy. Perhaps there are (or will be) two Starboys?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

On television.  I think we could agree that they are different beasts, Jason, and that John was talking about the comic books and not the Saturday cartoon.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Not unless Starboy magically changes race at some point between the distant future and the even more distant future.

---

Three words: Kryptonian Body Mold

Jeff Albertson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

DC's tried to tie the clone Superboy to the Legion a couple of times.  They've also made a fair amount of  money reprinting Superboy/Legion stories Tied for longest running DC Archive series, I think).  That, combined with the Superman/Legion series running on TV, provides a lot of incentive to try to bring some of the audience for Superboy/Legion stories into the regular comics.  It may be a case of the tail wagging the dog, but economically, it makes sense. 

And, it could well be one of those cases where an old idea is handled creatively enough to justify it.   Busiek and Johns are talented folks.  I don't like every story they've written, but I've liked enough to give them a shot. 

As for the rewind idea, as long as they don't literally retell previous stories (Kanigher did that for Wonder Woman in the 1970s after he restored her powers), I don't see what difference it makes. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

I haven't received my copy of Justice Society of America yet. Is Superman's involvement with the Legion akin to the animated series now? Where he was never Superboy, but a teenaged Clark Kent got pulled into the future and given a Superman outfit?

Jeff Albertson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm a slow typist.  Sorry for the redundancy with Jason's post.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

Michael -- it isn't quite clear, but it seems that while young Clark never put on a costume in his home time period during his teenage years, he may have worn one while in the future.

And Matt -- I realize that TV and comics are different beasts, but a lot more kids see the TV show than see the comics, so if DC wants to rewrite Superman and Legion history to more resemble the cartoon, I can't blame 'em. Six years ago I thought that the "Return to Krypton" story in the Superman books should've introduced a canoncial version of Krypton that resembled the Superman: The Animated Series version, rather than going revisiting the Silver Age version.

Edited by Jason Schulman on 26 April 2007 at 4:02pm

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

When JB revamped Superman in '86, he gave us something new and different. Same with every previous revamp of the character, which usually occurred on a 20-year cycle.

We're about due for another Superman revamp, but coddling to Silver Age fanboys (yes, like me) with Kara Zor-El, Superboy, and the Legion is *not* something new and different. Giving us a Krypton that's similar to the movie's Krypton is also creative bankruptcy.

I mean, when the first Donner film came out, the comics did not scamble to copy that. Yet, the lousy Singer film comes out and everyone's giving us crystals and an ice fortress of solitude. Bah.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

Retcons and questions aside, that was a fantastic issue of JSA, and the current JLA/JSA crossover has me as excited as I was to see the return of the original Seven Soldiers of Victory.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2007 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

Stephen -- all I can say is that I'm greatly enjoying the current Superman titles. And I'm too young to really be a "Silver Age fanboy" -- I was 12 when MAN OF STEEL came out. And never mind the Singer film -- Smallville also has "crystals and an ice fortress of solitude." So the Superman comics now also have it, so what? It's about damn time, I say!

Which versions of Superman achieved the greatest cultural impact? The Silver Age version and the movie version. So the current version draws greatly on both. Fine by me. We don't necessarily need "new and different" -- we need a Superman in the comics that the general population would recognize. A "normal" Superman. And finally, after years and years of crap stories, we have one. I'm happy as a clam.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version