The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ryan Maxwell wrote:
I stripped down my Captain Britain tonight as well, though I'm not sure why, or what I'm going to do with it.

Mine is in the process of becoming a Golden Avenger . . . the semi-awkward pose looks like it's going to work a bit better for a character who sports a chest beam weapon. 

Or, you could carve off the deltoids (much like I did), fill in some seam lines, then see how well he would work as Guardian (hard to justify when you've already got a JB original in your collection, but I think that aside from the deltoids, the Captain Britain figure looks a lot like Mac's general build . . . moreso than the upcoming Eaglemoss version, which is WAY too muscle-bound, yet still more muscular and "Guardian-like" than the Iceman base that JB used).

Or perhaps a classic verision of Nova, the human rocket?  I'm kind of itching to try my hand at a Jack of Hearts, but first things first . . .

;-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ryan,

You are so talented and have such a beautiful collection.  I really hope we can meet and hang out someday; maybe let me take you to my most favorite comic shop on the peninsula.  Seriously, I think this place is one of 2 or 3 WORTH visiting just because.

Anyway, I was just wondering, when you were considering tweaking that new Storm figure, were you seeing the red in her cape (and is that a red wrist-band on her arm) as black?  Being a bit of a traditionalist, I looked at that figurine and almost immediately "overly-noticed" (was distracted?) by the red.  Just wondering if that was one of the elements that you felt was sorely in need of changing.

Also, interesting that JB sees Aurora.  I looked it over, and clearly influenced by JB's observation, I couldn't help but see Heather after awhile.  I think it is the fact that when you lose the swords, Psyclocke seems sort of calm, just standing there (which is what I would want in a "civilian" character's pose), with the legs closed and one slightly bent in a most lady-like position.  Certainly not a leg-pose you would see on a male figurine.
Back to Top profile | search

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ryan, will you carve the Wolverine figure or just color it? I imagine you' ll use the brown/orange version, right?

Wolverine and Nightcrawler will both have the extra bits removed and a few things added.  I started to just do a repaint of Kurt, but realized he looked odd without the material on his shoulders sticking out, so into the acetone bath he went.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Psylocke will indeed be turned into Aurora.  Those sword hilts are proving tough to carve down, they are quite a bit harder than the figure bodies.  I'm going to have to break out my Dremel.

I started filing and sanding down all the scribe lines on one arm last night and just about gave up. Her already thin limbs probably can't stand up to that.  Instead, I'm going to give her a very fine layer of green stuff over most of her body (thank you, Patrick) and sand her smooth.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JBodin, after hitting the 'Net and my comics, I'm thinking the early Power Man (Eric Josten), Radioactive Man, Shocker or Tarantula for Captain Britain, mostly leaning towards Power Man.  I think Shocker may have already been confirmed by Eaglemoss, but I'm not sure.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ryan -- for the scribe lines, try rubbing hard with a nail or the shaft of a
small screwdriver. Even a small spoon would work, provided it's harder than
the lead. That's how I got rid of the scribe lines on Green Lantern, for
instance.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Marc, which store is it?  I have no experience with the stores over there, but maybe I've heard of it.

I'll definitely get rid of all the red on Storm.  It gives her a Bride of Dracula vibe that Ororo doesn't deserve.

Heather would work well for Psylocke, but I just finished her several pages back.  As much as I love her, I'm not ready to start on another Heather figure.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Psylocke will indeed be turned into Aurora.

••

Now I'm tempted to order another Psylocke and challenge you to a duel!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Paintbrushes at high noon? 

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

for the scribe lines, try rubbing hard with a nail or the shaft of a
small screwdriver. Even a small spoon would work, provided it's harder than
the lead.

Interesting, I'll try that, thanks!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB, I'm about 5 minutes in to Psylocke's rubdown with a nail.  Very nice!  I don't know how far you've gone with this as a tool, but I'm getting a really clean and glossy metallic look.  I think it's high time to put some thought into making a Jocasta (don't know how you feel about her), and without paint.  Thanks for the advice!

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ryan,

It is called Comics Conspiracy in Sunnyvale (http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz/).  Unfortunately, it's at the far end of Sunnyvale in relation to where I live on the peninsula, but it is SO worth it.  I always head down with a big list of back-issues and toys that I need and go crazy.  The guys who work there are very nice and helpful.  You have to ask though, they aren't all over you, which is actually a good thing.

By the way Ryan, I wouldn't be a proper Bay Area comic book guy without asking you what you think of Lee's Comics nowadays?

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 31 July 2008 at 9:26pm

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version