Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Bat Boo-Boo - 06.12.07 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So… the customer asked for Batman, Robin, and Batgirl, with the latter zooming in on her motorcycle. No problem! I grabbed a model motorcycle for reference, laid out the piece, and started inking.

Now, as it happened, the motorcycle I used as reference was still in the box, so I could only see one side of it. Also no problem. One of my lesser mutant powers is that I can "flip" images in my mind -- draw them backwards from how they actually look. So that's what I did with the motorcycle. Got this far

when what's left of my brain started working. Motorcycles are not symetrical! it whispered. D'oh!! I was drawing the left side of the bike as the right side. Any chance the elements might be similar enough that I could "fake it"? No.

So, what to do? Start over? But I liked the layout, and I especially liked how well the bike was going so far. Solution… get out the lightbox, flip the piece over, and trace it onto the back. Which is what I did, producing this:

So -- the customer gets a two-fer! The finished drawing and the pencils! How often does that happen?

11x17

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have a feeling very few could pull that off with out the drawing looking "off".  Great piece!  I miss Batgirl!  I love her boots!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ummm...can you mess up like that on the next one I order, please?  Love the pencils and the final product.  Thanks for sharing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Cool. 

Now THAT is a great piece. 

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wonderfull, really wonderfull, John !!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kor Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Awesome piece! Love your Batgirl! (I miss her sooooo much!)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow.  Love hoe easily you seem to be able to draw Batman from different eras.  This is just a fun looking piece.  So nice to see Batgirl and the Robon of old.  I don't recall his being featured this prominently in a commission before.  Awesome job on the bike.  The metal looks like metal and the glass looks like glass!!  Great SA feel to the whole thing. 

I hope someone claims this one, so we can congrtulate them

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am still trying to figure out what you are referring to with the flipping of the motorcycle.  All I know is that this commission looks great and the motorcycle, both versions, looks sleek.  Great job!

Sam

P.S. JB, can you elaborate on the model you used as a referrence?  You mention that you have a model, but it is in a box and you can only see one side.  This sounds like a riddle of the Sphinx!  Perhaps a pic of it?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I use hi-detail toys* for reference on a lot of vehicles. Better than photographs, because I can turn them to whatever position I need. In this case, the motorcycle is still in the box it came in, with clear plastic on the front, but not the back. So, since the bike is left-side-out, what I was drawing was the left side of the bike, which is different from the right side.

* After I first mentioned this, some fifteen years ago, an artist sent me some of his work so I could see how he was "improving". There was an airplane in one sequence. Looking at the art, I could only assume he had heard I use toys for reference, but missed the "highly detailed" part. So he'd run to Toys'R'Us and picked up the first PlaySkool plane he found.

Vladimir Fiks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's really a terrific piece John, wonderful composition.

Vlad

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is probably the most fantastic motorcycle I have seen you draw, John. Congrats! Amazing piece. As I read the back-story, my mind started saying: "Lightbox!", and I was right (I am proud of myself!).

Great solution, by the way, but I guess it only works if you are John Byrne. It's incredible how well drawn this is, that it doesn't look at all odd when seen through a mirror (or flipped like John did).

John, you are trully a Master.

Edited by Thanos Kollias on 12 June 2007 at 7:07am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Good job on remembering not to also copy Robin's "R" from the correct side to the wrong side of the chest!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version