Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: May I have your autograph? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 1  

The Stan Lee autographed biography thread made me think...what sort of cool autographed stuff does everyone have?  And what's the story behind it?  Let's not limit this to comic book related memorabilia...sports, celebrities, former presidents...whatever.  Let's not make this a duplicate of the "new art" thread by posting images of your artwork that is signed by the artist. 

So here's my first one to get the ball rolling (which I also posted in the Stan Lee thread).  These are framed and hang directly above my computer monitor:

These three comics were signed by Stan Lee in Springfield, OH in 2006 when he came to give a talk for the Springfield library.  They are Thor 385 (sentimental favorite from my childhood, scripted by Lee), a reprint of Amazing Fantasy 15 and the Wal-Mart "exclusive" adaptation of the first Spider-Man movie (scripted by Lee).  Stan was awesome that night, signing autographs for hours for a couple thousand fans!  My personal encounter with him was very brief but he was just so enthusiastic the entire time.  His personality is really something to witness in person.  What a great guy!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 2  

This is the inside cover to an Uncanny X-Men Masterworks. On the top far left (Cut off. Sorry I couldn't fit it all) is George Perez, who provided some covers for this run. The rest are Stan Lee, Chris Claremont, Terry Austin, John Byrne, Roger Stern and Jim Shooter. I started getting autographs for this in 94 and had the final one, Stan Lee (with Joe) in 06.

Edited by Paul Greer on 09 July 2007 at 8:05am
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 3  

I saw Jay Leno perform stand-up right before he was hired in full time on The Tonight Show. As we were heading to our car, we ran into him walking to his car. My sister had a pen and bank envelope in her purse. He was nice enough to sign it.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 4  

Gold Medal winner Mary Lou Retton was cool enough to write this inscription I asked for. I met her at a health expo in Cleveland.

Edited by Paul Greer on 09 July 2007 at 8:06am

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 5  

I usually don't ask people for autographs, much less wait in line to get them, but I did wait in line to get one from George Perez last winter when he was here in Arizona for a comic convention.

There are a few Silver Age comic creators I'd certainly look to get autographs from if I ran accross them - Stan Lee, John Romita, Neal Adams, Gene Colan, Joe Sinnott, Murphy Anderson, etc., and a few others from when I was younger who's work I really enjoyed - JB, Rich Buckler, Herb Trimpe, Sal Buscema, Steve Englehart, Steve Gerber, etc.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Oh boy...where to start? I've collected autographs for a few years now and have accumulated lots of goodies during that time. Among the cooler items are....

• A box of Jell-O pudding signed by Bill Cosby
  • A hockey puck signed by Don Rickles
  • An Atlanta Faclons hardhat signed by Michael Vick
  • A TIME magazine cover of Jerry Seinfeld signed by Seinfeld
  • LAB RATS 1-8 signed by JB
  • SUPERMAN vs MUHAMMAD ALI signed by Ali
  • A TV GUIDE cover of Jason Alexander signed by Alexander
  • A copy of TIME with George W. Bush on the cover signed by Bush.
  • Indidivual STAR TREK: NEXT GENERATION trading cards signed by Patrick Stewart, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Whoopi Goldberg, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, and Levar Burton

There are other things like sports cards, comics, action figures, Playbills, baseballs, and other assorted goodies. Anthing else comes to mind of the "cool" variety, I'll post it.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Brian those are some awesome autographs!  Are there some cool stories behind those? How did you manage to get that stuff???

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 8  

Cosby Jell-O is a riot.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Here is The front page of The Green Lantern Archives signed by Murphy Anderson and the late Gil Kane. Julie Schwatz signed the back page, where his credit was listed.

Edited by Paul Greer on 09 July 2007 at 8:30am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Too many to ennumerate, really, if we count all the pages of original art that are signed by the artist. A few goodies…

•Abraham Lincoln, of course! Other such famous folk who I have not actually met include John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Charles Darwin, Alec Guiness, Steve Martin, Andy Warhol, Salvadore Dali, Robert Frost, Al Hirschfeld, Joe Shuster, Douglas Bader.

•Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, among those I have met. Also Neal Adams, Dick Sprang, Shelly Moldorf, Bernie Wrightson, Wendy Pini, Alex Toth.

Not in the collection -- a few years back I had the opportunity to purchase a vellum document signed by Henry VIII. Turned out it would have been major high maintainance to take proper care of the piece, so I reluctantly passed.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Peter Jackson,Andy Serkis,Jack Black,Richard Taylor,Gino Acevedo and Bob Burns !Got these on our fabulous trip to NY in December 2005

Edited by Gerry Turnbull on 09 July 2007 at 9:23am

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12  

When I was a college student, I saw Sid Caesar speak as part of the university lecture series. I was friends with a guy whose father was head of security and he let us backstage to meet him. Backstage, he was very generous talking to us. My friend and I were television broadcasting majors and he talked about doing tv live and how to be prepared. It was a great experience meeting one of the pioneers in television.

Edited by Paul Greer on 09 July 2007 at 8:50am

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version